PWIrvine

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIrvine, Ca
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR MAXX HD

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

The notification badge on my Messaging app icon is incorrectly showing 1 unread message.

I have a totally stock Droid RAZR MAXX HD running 4.4.2. My stock messaging app is version 4.4.2-10. SMS is set to "Messaging" (not "Hangouts"). All settings are default.

From my own troubleshooting, I have concluded that the problem is KitKat related since stopping, disabling, data clearing, cache clearing, and defaults clearing stock messaging app has no effect. Also, this problem started after upgrade to KitKat (never had it before). Further, after completely disabling the stock messaging app, I alternatively installed GO SMS Pro, chomp SMS, and Verizon Messages and experienced the same problem with each.

Any ideas about how to fix this problem, while leaving the phone unrooted, would be greatly appreciated.

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

Try an FDr

sent from my G3

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 PWIrvine

PWIrvine

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIrvine, Ca

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

Thanks, livinginkaos, for your response.  I would FDR, but I would then have to rebuild my phone from scratch. That is, I haven't rooted my phone, so I can't fully back it up (with Titanium Backup, etc.) for restoration after the FDR. Also, although an FDR may work, the problem will likely recur if it is KitKat-related as I suspect. You know, this messaging notification badge problem first occurred right after my KitKat OTA upgrade, but I somehow corrected the problem. The problem went away for weeks. Now it's back and I can't remember what I did to get rid of it the first time. I know that it wasn't an FDR. I use Verizon and I'm beginning to think that the problem may somehow be related to their SMS/MMS servers or their Visual Voicemail feature and KitKat.

#4 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

you can find all Messaging apps and turn off the Notification, its possibly on for one of them...if you think its VZW you can use the web browser and login from a PC to clear that, IIRC.

#5 PWIrvine

PWIrvine

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIrvine, Ca

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for the response, cmh714. The only messaging app left on my phone is the stock Messaging app (4.4.2-10) and notification is turned off (both in the app and in settings). I have no unread messages of any kind according to the VZW website and Verizon tech support claims (of course) that the problem is not at their end.  I strongly suspect that it is related to either KitKat or changes made to the stock messaging app within KitKat.

#6 PWIrvine

PWIrvine

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIrvine, Ca

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Follow-up: FDR'ed phone, problem went away, then came back. I have discovered that problem is related to MMS messaging in KK. To fix problem you must delete all MMS messages from phone soon after reading them. If you don't, one or more will eventually cause the message notification badge to get permanently "stuck," and erasing MMS messages at that point will not help. Thereafter, only fix is to FDR phone. Good luck to all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users