324 replies to this topic

#181 billyhewlett1

billyhewlett1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

@ billyhewlett1 I'm not sure about the motorola services error message, but the link to download the updates you need are in the quote above, along with instructions on how to manually update.

I'm still struggling. I can download the files, but they go to my "download" folder, rather than my SD drive. I can see them in the download folder, but I cannot find my SD drive.

When I try to install them via poweroff | power/volume up/volume down | Recovery | volume up/volume down | apply update from external storage, it says
E:failed to mount /sdcard (no file or directory)'

I don't know if I have a SD card (on my MAXX HD), but if I do, it cannot be found.

I have a suspicion that I may be getting hosed by Safestrap. Despite the fact that I uninstalled it, when I boot up I get the option to load Safestrap.

Should I wipe data/factory reset?

Also, I found a very detailed page that describes the entire process (that I wish I had seen before I started):

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#182 ungawatkt

ungawatkt

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

I'm still struggling. I can download the files, but they go to my "download" folder, rather than my SD drive. I can see them in the download folder, but I cannot find my SD drive.

When I try to install them via poweroff | power/volume up/volume down | Recovery | volume up/volume down | apply update from external storage, it says
E:failed to mount /sdcard (no file or directory)'

I don't know if I have a SD card (on my MAXX HD), but if I do, it cannot be found.

The sd card is in the same place as the sim card on the side of the phone, use the tool they gave you (or a staple) to check. Now that I think about it, I don't think the phone comes with one (I had one because I upgraded from the droid x, which came with a card)

#183 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Twitter:benuti1
  • LocationIl & WI
  • Current Device(s):Note 2 , Razr Maxx Hd

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

You need to put the files on the root of your sd card with something like root explorer

#184 billyhewlett1

billyhewlett1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

The sd card is in the same place as the sim card on the side of the phone, use the tool they gave you (or a staple) to check. Now that I think about it, I don't think the phone comes with one (I had one because I upgraded from the droid x, which came with a card)

It doesn't look like I have an SD card. Is there a way to do an update without an SD card? I see when I do poweroff | power/volume up/volume down | Recovery | volume up/volume down that one option is "apply update from cache". Is there a way to move the files from my "Download" folder to cache? I see "Downloads" if I browse my phone from my PC, but I cannot see "cache" or "SD" from my PC.

Is there some other method of applying an update patch? I still cannot get it from About Phone.

#185 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

You dont need an sd card the files need to go on the root of your internal card thats what they are talkinng about.

#186 billyhewlett1

billyhewlett1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

You dont need an sd card the files need to go on the root of your internal card thats what they are talkinng about.

By "the root of my internal card" do you mean I should use File App to move the files from "Downloads" to the initial folder?

I tried this, but in the recovery options I can either load from external storage (which I do not have), or load from cache (wherever that is). There is no option to restore from internal card. under "load from cache" there are two sub folders, "/cache/lost+found" and "/cache/recovery", both of which are blank.

1) How do I install my download to the root of my internal card?
2) Is poweroff | power/volume up/volume down | Recovery | volume up/volume down | the way that I should be installing the update?

Thank you.

#187 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

When you open a file explorer like Root Explorer you get a bunch of files one of which will be sd card when you open it you will find a bunch more files this is the root of your sd card this is where the files have to be. Scrool down open up download you will find your files there long press it it will say copy press it then hit the back key your back on the root hit paste now you have it on the root of you sd do the same for the other.Thatsbabout the best I can explain it.

#188 billyhewlett1

billyhewlett1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

When you open a file explorer like Root Explorer you get a bunch of files one of which will be sd card when you open it you will find a bunch more files this is the root of your sd card this is where the files have to be. Scrool down open up download you will find your files there long press it it will say copy press it then hit the back key your back on the root hit paste now you have it on the root of you sd do the same for the other.Thatsbabout the best I can explain it.

I don't have an SD card.

If I open the File Manager, I can see SD card (with 0.00 GB available). If I select it, it says "SD card not found. Please check that SD card is properly inserted and mounted."

If I try to create a folder in my SD card, it doesn't work. I cannot copy files there because I don't have one.

#189 ungawatkt

ungawatkt

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

@ wooddale
He doesn't have an sd card.

It doesn't look like I have an SD card. Is there a way to do an update without an SD card?

@ billyhewlett1
you can do it without an sd card using adb, but i don't know how.

#190 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

@ wooddale
He doesn't have an sd card.

@ billyhewlett1
you can do it without an sd card using adb, but i don't know how.

You dont have an sd card and you dont need one. ADB is even harder yet to explain get root explorer or even Astro you cant do it without one or the other.

#191 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Get Astro file explorer from market its free.

#192 only1battman

only1battman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD, Transformer Prime

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Ok so Hi everyone. Dont shoot me if i am wrong. But it seems that as far as i am reading i can use this process to go from 4.1.1 unrooted back to 4.0.4, root, then OTA update back to 4.1.1 using the rootkeeper. I watched the video link from page 4 (or whatever it was) and it seems like that guy had success with the process. I am a visual learner and its sorta hard for me to grasp something when its just text and not slapping me in the face. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Just for some more info. I Currently have a Droid Razr Maxx HD running 9.1.41 with 4.1.1 JB. As far as i believe that is the correct version to be on??
Thanks again guys.

#193 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

Ok so Hi everyone. Dont shoot me if i am wrong. But it seems that as far as i am reading i can use this process to go from 4.1.1 unrooted back to 4.0.4, root, then OTA update back to 4.1.1 using the rootkeeper. I watched the video link from page 4 (or whatever it was) and it seems like that guy had success with the process. I am a visual learner and its sorta hard for me to grasp something when its just text and not slapping me in the face. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Just for some more info. I Currently have a Droid Razr Maxx HD running 9.1.41 with 4.1.1 JB. As far as i believe that is the correct version to be on??
Thanks again guys.

The problem is the OTA update links from Verizon are not working so you have to do it manually thats what we are talking about.

#194 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

If you are rooted you can copy the ota from download folder into the cache directory and apply update from cache in stock recovery since you don't have an sdcard. Use a root explorer to do this. Only move one there at a time. Do the 6 mb patch first. Then remove it and do the jb update next. It won't work if 2 updates are in the cache folder. Make sure to protect root through each update to ensure it persists. Updates cannot be applied from internal memory unless its in the cache directory.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#195 billyhewlett1

billyhewlett1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

I (now) have Astro, from the sdcard directory, I can copy the two update zips (I previously moved them from "downloads" up a directory, which is now labeled /sdcard in Astro.

However, when I try to paste after moving up an additional directory (to the directory with acct, cache, ..., root), it won't let me. It says "Error | Could not write file."

I get the same error when I try to write to the /root or /cache directories.

Is there something I need to do to enable write? I am rooted (well, temporarily unrooted, but I can root easily enough if that's required to move the files).

#196 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

I (now) have Astro, from the sdcard directory, I can copy the two update zips (I previously moved them from "downloads" up a directory, which is now labeled /sdcard in Astro.

However, when I try to paste after moving up an additional directory (to the directory with acct, cache, ..., root), it won't let me. It says "Error | Could not write file."

I get the same error when I try to write to the /root or /cache directories.

Is there something I need to do to enable write? I am rooted (well, temporarily unrooted, but I can root easily enough if that's required to move the files).

Astro won't give you root access. You need root explorer, root browser, or es explorer and enable root capabilities in settings. So to clarify you don't have an sdcard right?

#197 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

Someone else just mentioned you have to do them one at a time you dont need to be rooted to movevthem.

#198 billyhewlett1

billyhewlett1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

If you are rooted you can copy the ota from download folder into the cache directory and apply update from cache in stock recovery since you don't have an sdcard. Use a root explorer to do this. Only move one there at a time. Do the 6 mb patch first. Then remove it and do the jb update next. It won't work if 2 updates are in the cache folder. Make sure to protect root through each update to ensure it persists. Updates cannot be applied from internal memory unless its in the cache directory.

Oooh, this gets me much closer!!

After buying Rootkeeper (rather than Astro), I now reroot, move 0.7.2 update to cache, then unroot, recover, and yay! I'm updated.

However, I try to do the same with the larger 9.1.41 update. Same deal, reroot, copy to cache, unroot, recover, but now I get the following error message:

Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/logwrapper". "<huge hexidecimal #>", "<huge hexidecimal #>")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

I've tried redownloading the patch and doing the whole root/copy/unroot dance again, with the same result.
Normal About Phone update is still broken.

Suggestions?

#199 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Did you remove the 0.7.2 update before moving the JB update to cache or did it clear automatically? Make sure there isn't 2 updates in the cache folder but it looks like you need to do a factory data reset, reboot, quick setup and protect root, reboot into stock recovery and apply the jb update.

#200 billyhewlett1

billyhewlett1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

Did you remove the 0.7.2 update before moving the JB update to cache or did it clear automatically? Make sure there isn't 2 updates in the cache folder but it looks like you need to do a factory data reset, reboot, quick setup and protect root, reboot into stock recovery and apply the jb update.

the 0.7.2 update cleared automatically.

I did the factory data reset as you suggested (via poweroff | power/volume up/volume down | Recovery | volume up/volume down | factory data wipe), and I've reinstalled RootExplorer, but now I need Rootkeeper to get my root back (presumably, it saves the root somewhere that doesn't get factory wiped). Once I have root I can move the JB update to cache.

I would think that I could use the utility from the first post to reinstall Rootkeeper via AP Fastboot, but when I do it says "Make sure Debugging is enabled on your phone" and hangs. Maybe it is expecting straight 4.04 ICS, and doesn't like my half-upgraded version?

In any case, I can't get Rootkeeper that way. Is there another way to get Rootkeeper?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users