Photo

TWRP Black Screen

TWRP Black Screen

Best Answer RikRong , 15 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

That's been the only solution, other than rebooting multiple times, until you get TWiRP to come up. Make sure you re-flash the correct TWRP, if you choose to re-flash. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ACDBill

ACDBill

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:52 AM

Hell All,

I would have asked at TWRP's site but did not see a support function.

I have been merrily flashing ROMS and playing around. Until today that is. Today when I boot to recovery I get only a black screen. I can tell its in TWRP though because there is haptic feedback when I touch the screen.

I saw a few similar posts on the net, but not solution other than re-flashing TWRP. Any thoughts?

#2 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:07 AM   Best Answer

That's been the only solution, other than rebooting multiple times, until you get TWiRP to come up. Make sure you re-flash the correct TWRP, if you choose to re-flash.

R. Long: Pixel 5

#3 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

I've noticed this has been going on with v2.8.0.0. v2.7.1.0 seemed to no longer do this. When TWRP first came out for the KK bl of this phone, this is what happened initially. Then, v2.7.1.0 seemed to fix it. Now, v2.8.0.0 seems to have brought the issue back.

Not sure why that is...

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#4 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:03 AM

Going back to TWRP 2.7.1.0 after installing 2.8.0.0 doesn't help either.  2.7.1.0 will now do the same thing on my phone (XT-926).

#5 ACDBill

ACDBill

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

Well, rats. I really didn't want to re-flash but I guess I will if a few more boots doesn't bring it back. <sigh>

#6 KFTheTruth

KFTheTruth

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Twitter:@KFTheTruth
  • LocationNorth America
  • Current Device(s):SGP Blackphone & Razr HD Maxx xt926

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

Is this issue that is immediately noticeable or is it happening on 2.8.0.0 after time? Today I was going to start investigating ROMS, but this thread just halted my search. 

#7 ACDBill

ACDBill

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:38 AM

Is this issue that is immediately noticeable or is it happening on 2.8.0.0 after time? Today I was going to start investigating ROMS, but this thread just halted my search. 

It was after a time.

However, I believe I have come up with a workaround that means no re-flashing TWRP. After several attempts, I finally got it to show up again. Poking around I found and unchecked the box "Enable screen timeout" or some such verbage. This is under Settings --> Screen.

So far I've done three successive boots in a row with no issue at all.

#8 KFTheTruth

KFTheTruth

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Twitter:@KFTheTruth
  • LocationNorth America
  • Current Device(s):SGP Blackphone & Razr HD Maxx xt926

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

Please let us know if you run into any other problems as that may be the answer to this question. 

#9 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

It was after a time.

However, I believe I have come up with a workaround that means no re-flashing TWRP. After several attempts, I finally got it to show up again. Poking around I found and unchecked the box "Enable screen timeout" or some such verbage. This is under Settings --> Screen.

So far I've done three successive boots in a row with no issue at all.

I have always unchecked that setting when installing twrp.  Mine will still give me a black screen some of the time while it will work others.  It seems completely random to me.

#10 ACDBill

ACDBill

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

Looks like I flashed one ROM too many. I tried to flash RageHD and it looks like it screwed up my phone so bad I'm going to have to ADB flash it again. I can't get WIFI to turn on to save my soul. <sigh>

Edit: @spainter: Looks like you were right. Trying to save my phone without an ADB flashed I rebooted to recovery and got the black screen again. Aw well. It was nice for a while.

#11 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

Rage won't work with new bootloader.  If you were able to get into recovery, all you'd need to do is restore your backup.  There are still some ROMs running around that haven't been updated. 

R. Long: Pixel 5

#12 ACDBill

ACDBill

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:14 AM

Yup, your right. Actually I didn't have to restore my backup. I just did a keep data load and when it rebooted, all was well with the world. All I had to do was reroot.  :)

Edit: I did lose TWRP but not unlock status. Haven't re-installed yet but eventually I will. Backing up with it is just too easy. May do CWM if I can figure out how to install it. Ii tried several times and just couldn't get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users