2 replies to this topic

#1 Pinnacle

Pinnacle

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:41 AM

Well I think my RAZR Maxx is finally giving up the ghost and I need a new device.

I want a good solid device with similar or better battery life than this had when it was new. I also want the ability to root the device as well. My wife got a Droid Maxx and did the OTA before I could tell her not to and now it cannot be rooted.

I will most likely buy it on eBay so I can stay on my unlimited plan with VZW.

I'm just looking for opinions on what to look at and what to steer clear of. Also what I need to look for specifically on eBay when looking at a listing. Such as unlocked or whatever might be in the description.

TIA

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:18 AM

For device suggestions, it's all opinion based on use really, do everyone will have a different answer for that question. If you are looking for battery life similar to the maxx, your choices will be somewhat limited at this point. Of the current release flagship devices, battery life is fairly consistent across them. The G3 has the best stand by life I've experienced so far. Bluetooth has connection concerns and does not pass thru track info to a Bluetooth receiver. The ready of the device is great. Good outside viewability. The M8 is a great device for bluetooth and music. A little lower on the outside visibility, but still usable. The S5 is a good device, but touchwiz is very heavy. All three have ext SD support. If you are buying used, I would be very cautious on eBay. Unlocked is a term that usually does NOT refer to bootloader. Before buying on eBay, always verify a clean imei. I tend to look at swappa.com before eBay. They verify imei's prior to posting, the communication is better, but there are now resellers hanging out on there now more frequently, so watch for that. There are much fewer unhappy customers on swappa than eBay. sent from my G3

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 Pinnacle

Pinnacle

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:28 AM

Thanks for the input. I was looking at the Galaxy line but not being familiar with Samsung I don't know the rootability of those phones.

Keep in mind I am using the RAZR Maxx not the droid maxx. Droid Maxx battery has no comparison.

I'll take a look at swappa. Anything I should look for in descriptions there for root and whatnot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users