• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 boothroyd917

boothroyd917

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx (Aviator AOKP 1.0.3)

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

My buddy took the OTA update to 182.46.15 on his Razr Maxx HD before he unlocked his bootloader. Unfortunately, this update patched the Towelroot exploit, so now he can't root and therefore can't unlock his bootloader. Is there a way to flash back to 182.46.10 so that he can root and unlock his bootloader? Thanks.

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

No

• SamuriHL likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 McLeroy

McLeroy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:48 AM

I have the same problem with my Droid Razr HD after updating to 183.46.15.xt926. please any help will be appreciated

#4 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:55 AM

With a locked bootloader you are stuck until there is a new exploit.  Like Kaos said No root for the .15 update.

#5 McLeroy

McLeroy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

Okay. Thanks. I hope a new exploit comes out soon

#6 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

That's highly unlikely.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#7 McLeroy

McLeroy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:18 AM

unlikely, why?

#8 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:55 AM

Seriously? Who, exactly, do you think is going to be looking at creating a brand new root exploit for a 2 year old phone that just had a bootloader unlock that the majority of people who still care about this phone utilized?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

• ibolski likes this

#9 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:37 AM

unlikely, why?

Samuri pretty much explained it. No developer is actively working on an exploit for this phone. You are basically out of luck. Now, I don't want to say it will never happen, because we said that about the first KK OTA, and then Towelroot was found to work, but it wasn't specifically for this phone. It just happened to be for any KK phone that had a kernel dated before June of 2014. Since then, that exploit has been patched for this phone and there are no other exploits that are known to work for this phone specifically.

Remember, an exploit is a security issue within the source code. Patching it means removing the possibility of a rogue app getting control of your phone, so it's not a bad thing to happen. Exploits are security holes in the OS and should be patched.

So, unless someone finds an exploit in the current source that isn't specific to a phone, then you are SOL.

If another exploit is found for this phone, you can be rest assured that you should be good because Moto has already come out saying this latest OTA is the final update for this phone.

• SamuriHL likes this

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#10 Caliburno

Caliburno

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:29 PM

a brand new root exploit for a 2 year old phone that just had a bootloader unlock that the majority of people who still care about this phone utilized?

Someone who may have just bought it? I just bought mine a couple weeks ago and i've been looking for a way to unlock the bootloader. Sadly i didn't knew this was the case or i would not bought it.

If the exploit was for the kernel.... It wouldn't be there some way to reflashing the phone with an old firmware containing the exploitable kernel? (or somethign alike) ¿Isn't there a way to access the kernel like in a computer linux using console as root?

I have no problem on bricking my phone in the attempt to unlock the bootloader, but i'm absolutely incapable to understand how to achieve such thing.

#11 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

Root is a kernel exploit. Unlock is not. I'm sorry if you didn't do your homework before you purchased it. You will not unlock it and no one is going to be looking at new exploits for these phones. If the luck holds out maybe a new root exploit for another phone works for this one. I wouldn't rule that out. But 4.4.4 exploits haven't exactly been rushing out the door. Iow I'd not get my hopes up that it'll be soon. Considering this was the last ota for these phones all hope for another slip-up on unlock is gone as well. You'll notice I closed my unlock thread with an explanation of all this info.

• ibolski and RikRong like this

#12 McLeroy

McLeroy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:24 PM

Okay. Thanks. That explains it all. I'll sell this one and then buy another that's still running on JB, root, unlock my bootloader, den flash KK via RSD lite. cuz I love this phone

#13 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:51 AM

Okay. Thanks. That explains it all. I'll sell this one and then buy another that's still running on JB, root, unlock my bootloader, den flash KK via RSD lite. cuz I love this phone

Good luck finding one that's still on JB.  I'm sure they're out there, but not likely.  Even then, if it's on the last version of JB, you can't unlock it anyway.  You'll have to update to the KK build ending in .10 and unlock it.

R. Long: Pixel 5

#14 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • Twitter:@nobe1976
  • LocationWhere I AM
  • Current Device(s):LG G2, ®∆z® |/|@xX Π¶, Motorola Bionic, Viewsonic GTablet

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

As RikRong points out the chances of finding a Complete xt926 device still on JB is going to be like looking for a needle in a hay Stack. Your best bet is to search Ebay which sells reconditioned Mother Boards, which the one I got came with the 9.20.1 Android version 4.1.2 on it. All I had to do is take the 2 OTA's then rooted and unlocked the bootloader without issues. Changing out the Mother Board is cheaper and easier then finding a fully working device that is running the 4.1.2 update. Plus really easy to swap out the Mother Board, search YouTube for the tuts....

new_animated_sig.gif

#15 sympatex

sympatex

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:33 AM

Root is a kernel exploit. Unlock is not. I'm sorry if you didn't do your homework before you purchased it. You will not unlock it and no one is going to be looking at new exploits for these phones. If the luck holds out maybe a new root exploit for another phone works for this one. I wouldn't rule that out. But 4.4.4 exploits haven't exactly been rushing out the door. Iow I'd not get my hopes up that it'll be soon. Considering this was the last ota for these phones all hope for another slip-up on unlock is gone as well. You'll notice I closed my unlock thread with an explanation of all this info.

If this was the last OTA, then what about bugs introduced by the new firmware...?

- Accidental resets...
- Accidental application shutdowns...
- Regular speaker popping
with every sound...

- Battery drain

If not corrected by moto, while make every effort to pay attention to avoid the downgrade, it is a shame.

#16 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

They will not be fixed. This phone is 6 months past the typical EOL for a phone.  Build 15 was an attempt to fix at least some of the issues, but it does not fix them all.  Personally if I still had an HD, I'd have unlocked it on 10 and be running roms.

• nobe1976 likes this

#17 sympatex

sympatex

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:36 PM

Light, it makes perfect sense. But before kitkat update the functionality of the device was much better than after the update. We can say that the kitkat OTA (and "security .15") much worsened the quality so that the user can not do anything, but Motorola, the manufacturer's fault. In this situation, the exclusion of the restoration is equal to the detriment of consumers.

I think Motorola should offer the possibility of restoring the former better state.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users