Photo

Motorola XT926 Locked on Boot Screen, Won't Power Off

XT926 Boot Issue

Best Answer SamuriHL , 01 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

It can't write to the phone. We've seen this issue before and there's zero way to fix it.  I hate to say that, but, this is a very ugly problem.  Sorry you went through all that for no solution, but, the phone is basically screwed up at the partition level.  And yours is not the only one like that.  No one's ever fixed one to my knowledge.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#1 Goddamnit2014

Goddamnit2014

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDanville VA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:39 AM

Hello forum members, first off let me apologize about my choice of username, Britton Burton did not work appaerently when I registered for this site a good while ago.

Anyway, I have a problem here and I'm not sure what to do about it. I'll start by describing the symptoms the phone is exhibiting. First off the model of the phone is the Motorola XT926, and that's all it says about it on the back. The Operating System it uses, is unknown to me so I have no idea which utility or firmeware it supposed to use. The phone automatically cuts on by itself and will not cut off even if I hold the power button down for several minutes. It simply boots to the "M" logo and has Dual Core under it but stays at that screen indefiently. I can enter AP recovers mode by pressing all three buttons down until it goes black, then just hold the volumn buttons and a menu pops up. Out of the various options it shows at that screen only AP fast boot does anything, all the other options take me back to the same stuck moto screen. The only way it cuts off is if the battery completely dies. Has anyone ever expirenced this issue, and if so, is there anything i can do to recover from this nightmare?

I tried reading this site, and googling it over and over again, but there is no clear cut answer, just lots of topics similar to, but not exact to this one. So therefore those answers don't work in this particular situation.

I've rooted other motophones for my family before, but never had to restore the firmware on one. I've jailbroken an iPhone even and changed its firmware up one side and down the other, but these moto phones are a pain in the rear end to say the least.

What tools and software are approiate for the XT926? Are there any prewritten guides on this exact issue? If iso please link me to them as I am either inept or can not find them.

I tried using RSDlite to restore the orginal firmware (beginning to think this is not the approiate restore utility), and even other versions of the same "vanquish" firmware but they all failed and never get past the first flash operation. Even edited the XML file in the data folder and deleted the VAR lines as the guide I was using instructed. As far as I know the phone has never been rooted or modified until I tried to fix it, so the orginal or updated by OTA firmware, is still on it.

(Additional Info)

After writing this up I kept on searching for answers and I think I know what may have occured but I am still confused as to how to fix it. This phone was apparently in the process of being updated to the most recent update via the OTA update method. The person who brought it to me say the phone may have lost power during that update process. Does this effectivly brick it, or is there a way to restore the factory bootloader (its BIOS basically).

I think the reason I can not make it work is that I have been trying to flash it with a complete firmware, but the phones BIOS or bootloader is damaged, so no firmware can be loaded in the normal manner. It would also explain why the phone is stuck on the boot screen. I'll keep trying to find the answer on my own, but if anyone out there can point me in the right direction the please do so. This is wasting so much time.

If anyone has any answers or suggestions please feel free to enlighten me!

#2 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:59 AM

As far as your username.... Any of our admins can change it to whatever you like :) Chances are, the bootloader is NOT borked being that you can in-fact boot into fastboot mode..... While in fastboot mode, what shows on the screen? Locked? Unlocked? Go to the House of Moto ...

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Make sure you read read read all the directions and understand them before running...... You said you tried RSDlite.... What version? It may need to be updated Also.... When flashing, its very important you are using a OEM Motorola USB cable.... Most others WILL cause failures period.....
  • Goddamnit2014 likes this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#3 Goddamnit2014

Goddamnit2014

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDanville VA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for answering, I'm about to rip the hair out of my skull over here. The AP Fast boot screen shows USB Connected and the device is locked. So therefore it is not rooted and the bootloader is locked. I asked the guy over Yahoo messenger about the cable, he says that it is not the orginial but it is a 4 wire power/data cable. Is that a problem? I hope not, its the only wire I have to use at them moment.

I've been to so many site this morning my head is starting to hurt. Seems like a huge run-a-round trying to find what should be simple information about trying to get the bootloader or the firmware to work again. I've now started researh into the ADB bridge -method, becuase it thought this was the only way to make it boot or allow for me to install non-damamged firmware. By using the ADB method. It however is even more confusing, I've installed drivers for the Android Device Bridge and now the phone shows in the device stage as its name, not ADB device. Is this of any use or consequence?

So you're telling me there is a chance it can be restored? I'll follow your link now, I hope it can help.

Tried RSDLite v6.1.5 and the firmware must indeed be the new one, the 183.46.10.XT926

#4 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:37 AM

Also, make sure you are using the correct firmware. Do NOT flash firmware for another device as that will cause a permanent brick.

Do you know appx what version you were on? If you were not in the most recent update, you should still be able to unlock once you get bootable again.

sent from my G3

• Goddamnit2014 likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#5 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:39 AM

The USB cable is very very important..... An improper USB cable can and will cause failures with flashing .....

jhf.png

#6 Goddamnit2014

Goddamnit2014

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDanville VA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:40 AM

Also, make sure you are using the correct firmware. Do NOT flash firmware for another device as that will cause a permanent brick.

Do you know appx what version you were on? If you were not in the most recent update, you should still be able to unlock once you get bootable again.

sent from my G3

It is indeed the new update, the phone died midupdate I'm being told.

#7 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:40 AM

Since you get an immediate error, I'm thinking that you are flashing an older firmware than you had because the gpt partition is the first to flash and it is security locked to prevent backward flashing. Either that, or the xml file was incorrect. As John stated, with RSD you have too use the newer versions as the system partition is too large for the older.

sent from my G3

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#8 Goddamnit2014

Goddamnit2014

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDanville VA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:42 AM

Since you get an immediate error, I'm thinking that you are flashing an older firmware than you had because the gpt partition is the first to flash and it is security locked to prevent backward flashing. Either that, or the xml file was incorrect. As John stated, with RSD you have too use the newer versions as the system partition is too large for the older.

sent from my G3

Ok yeah I was trying to downgrade it, I have the most recent version saved to my PC now, so I should try that one with the newest update. Seems like I tried it already but I'll edit the XML in the most recent one and then try it again with RSDlite 6.1.5, and let you know what it does. I've had it in ADB mode for awhle so please allow me some time to reboot and try again.

#9 Goddamnit2014

Goddamnit2014

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDanville VA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:46 AM

OK just tried it, the RSDLite program reports this, and its different than any of the others. They at least tried to flash but failed. This time it says USB...N/A....Failed flashing process. Unknown fastboot command. {getvar}. What does this mean? I looked in the XML to edit out the /var lines but there are none, the firmware is as I downloaded it, unmodified.

#10 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:51 AM

Go back to the link I posted .... Within the OP of the thread there is a link to the RSD flasher tool..... Use it and it will generate all proper XML for use with rsdlite :)

jhf.png

#11 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:54 AM

And just to be on the safe side.... Update Motorola USB drivers.... Don't use the crappy moto device manager..... These ones are better

jhf.png

#12 Goddamnit2014

Goddamnit2014

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDanville VA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:54 AM

Go back to the link I posted .... Within the OP of the thread there is a link to the RSD flasher tool..... Use it and it will generate all proper XML for use with rsdlite :)

Thank you, that's where I went, I've downloaded the 3 files. Completely forgot to reinstall those moto drives, installing now. I'll follow the instructions to the letter and see what happens.

• johnthehillbilly likes this

#13 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:55 AM

And make sure you still have plenty of charge on the battery..... Or you could end up in worse shape

jhf.png

#14 Goddamnit2014

Goddamnit2014

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDanville VA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:59 AM

And make sure you still have plenty of charge on the battery..... Or you could end up in worse shape

It's plugged in the PC so it should be under constant charge. Still reading though, so much to cram so fast. Thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

OK I'm slow sorry, it was in the RSDlite directory

My name is Britton btw.

• johnthehillbilly likes this

#15 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

No..... PC will not charge it properly..... Need to plug in to AC adapter/charger..... Most of the good (Android) AC adapters/chargers will work fine for the xt926....

jhf.png

#16 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:05 AM

The RSD executable is in the installation path (directory) of RSDlite...:)

jhf.png

#17 Goddamnit2014

Goddamnit2014

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDanville VA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:09 AM

This is why I named my self that, Goddamn it this phone. This time after using those tools and using the most recent firmware it generated this on the phone screen and RSDlite closes immediatly. Says usb connected..downgraded security version...update gpt_main versionfailed...preflash validation failed for GPT.. end of info from phone. The PC generated no messages the software simply closed.

#18 Goddamnit2014

Goddamnit2014

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDanville VA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:11 AM

It's the cable isn't it? It's not the one that came with the phone, that much I was told. Seems like a 4 wire data cable would be fine though. Any other idea before I tell the guy to come get this damn thing?

#19 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:12 AM

Its saying security downgraded..... Meaning you are trying to flash older firmware..... What exactly are you trying to flash?

jhf.png

#20 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:15 AM

Go here

[FXZ]-4.4.2-183.46.15 :)

jhf.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users