62 replies to this topic

#21 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

If I choose to install this, but decide I want to revert back to ics to take the official ota, can I use Matts toolkit to do it?

Yes.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX HD

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#22 coolestmage

coolestmage

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Yeah, the lack of overscan in the Jelly Bean leaks has me somewhat skeptical. Not being able to change hdmi settings doesn't seem right, especially when the phone has a micro hdmi port, and motorola is all about the lapdocks and things. If the ota doesn't add this functionality back in it looks like I will be on ICS...

#23 Rhubarb

Rhubarb

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

I have frozen a lot of junk/bloat with TiBU (IE: i either did the disable in the apps list or frozen with tibu. nothing has been forcefully removed). If I go through all those frozen apps and thaw them out, will i be fine? If the sideload of the update fails, will I just be left at where i am with ICS or does it brick the phone?

#24 Rhubarb

Rhubarb

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

I went through the update and it was mostly a success, but i wasn't able to regain root. i used OTA Rootkeeper to protect root, updated the binaries (before protecting su) and tried to restore root after the update. Rootkeeper said that it restored su, but it didn't work. (i tried two different apps and they weren't able to acquire root access).

#25 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

I went through the update and it was mostly a success, but i wasn't able to regain root. i used OTA Rootkeeper to protect root, updated the binaries (before protecting su) and tried to restore root after the update. Rootkeeper said that it restored su, but it didn't work. (i tried two different apps and they weren't able to acquire root access).

Try this method:

Download Android Terminal Emulator for free from the market.
Enter the following commands EXACTLY as you see them listed here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

​Exit terminal & reboot.

If not...

Let me know how those go...

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#26 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I have frozen a lot of junk/bloat with TiBU (IE: i either did the disable in the apps list or frozen with tibu. nothing has been forcefully removed). If I go through all those frozen apps and thaw them out, will i be fine? If the sideload of the update fails, will I just be left at where i am with ICS or does it brick the phone?

You'll be left where you are. In most cases.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX HD

Posted Image

#27 newms323

newms323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

im attempting to help a friend of mine get his hd on this so he doesnt have to wait for the ota. his build number is 7.7 1q144 vqw s334252 2. Is this the correct build he needs to to flash this?

#28 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

im attempting to help a friend of mine get his hd on this so he doesnt have to wait for the ota. his build number is 7.7 1q144 vqw s334252 2. Is this the correct build he needs to to flash this?

To install the Jellybean OTA on the DROID RAZR HD (Verizon) you must be on System Version 0.7.2.XT926.Verizon.en.US

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#29 newms323

newms323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Posted Image

The MotoCast app creates a private cloud that lets you stream music, photos, and videos from your computer to your smartphone .

See Below for full story and video demo

your a good man Sir. Thanks for the assistance in chat:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

#30 Rhubarb

Rhubarb

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Try this method:

Download Android Terminal Emulator for free from the market.
Enter the following commands EXACTLY as you see them listed here:

​Exit terminal & reboot.

If not...

Let me know how those go...

the first one didn't work. it's definitely the "/system/usr/we-need-root" path..
Anyway, the first command in the second set of steps produced a requesting ROOT ACCESS prompt.
the rest of the commands run w/o any errors than I rebooted. i still didn't have root access.
i went into the super user app and tried to update the su binary. it shows that it's copying the su binary to /system/xbin/su
is that the correct path?

#31 djspy

djspy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Twitter:djspy
  • Google+:DJ SPY

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Can anyone confirm USB tethering still working?

#32 Brenardo

Brenardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

@Rhubarb Did you temp unroot before install?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

#33 Rhubarb

Rhubarb

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

oh crap! I didn't. I forgot about that.
Is root access still recoverable or do I need to start over?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

#34 Brenardo

Brenardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

I *think* you will need to start over.Be sure to grant SU access and update binaries and temp unroot each time.

#35 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

@Rhubarb Did you temp unroot before install?

I *think* you will need to start over.Be sure to grant SU access and update binaries and temp unroot each time.

Temp unroot is not necessary for modern motorola devices.

Posted Image

#36 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Temp unroot is not necessary for modern motorola devices.

it may be worth pointing out that if you don't temp unroot, you will likely be unable to restore root. I am fairly sure I have seen several reports of this....and also I have tested this theory myself (not necessarily on purpose, but hey, I did test it, lol) and found that without temp unroot, I was not able to restore root. I went back and started over, and temp unrooted...and everything went smoothly

#37 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

you know what sucks? on both the HD and the M...the camera became retarded on JB update...approximately 15 second lag...try taking a picture of a 15 month old that way...lots of blurry wasted shots, let me tell ya,not one decent picture

#38 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

oh...also, you don't need to root until after you take the 0.7.2 OTA (or whatever the version # is, haha!) no need to spend time rooting it when you first go back to stock

#39 b_wat

b_wat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Google+:bwatkins232@gmail.com
  • LocationKnoxville,Tn

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

Well 9.1.41 is definitely 100% official...just saying

#40 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

it may be worth pointing out that if you don't temp unroot, you will likely be unable to restore root. I am fairly sure I have seen several reports of this....and also I have tested this theory myself (not necessarily on purpose, but hey, I did test it, lol) and found that without temp unroot, I was not able to restore root. I went back and started over, and temp unrooted...and everything went smoothly

I promise you your failure is not due to failing to temp unroot as I've never temp unrooted a RAZR (original or HD) and it hasn't caused me to fail a root restore. Not updating binaries or having a improper version of SU apk installed has though. The biggest reason I've seen failures is if you've rooted your phone but not gone into the SU apk and given it permission to use root itself before backing up your root it'll fail. This usually happens to those of us who are quickly going through and restoring to factory and rooting to get back to whence we came for whatever reason. Forcing a binary update will trigger the SU permission check for the app and you'll be in good shape which is why you never have an issue if you do this.

oh...also, you don't need to root until after you take the 0.7.2 OTA (or whatever the version # is, haha!) no need to spend time rooting it when you first go back to stock

I root first to make absolutely sure OTA rootkeeper is working properly. If for some reason it were to fail to restore root after this mini-update I can re-root and check my permissions before taking an update that would require a system restore to try again. Obviously this isn't mandatory but helps for those times that I forgot to give SU proper permissions or forgot to update binaries etc.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users