3 replies to this topic

#1 gbarty

gbarty

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

I currently have a bricked xt912 with a new but uncharged battery in it. Here's what happened.

I had just gotten my xt912 to work beautifully with a combo of CM spyder (10.8M I think), almost all apps on SD card + Nova Launcher. Instead of dropping $650 for a currently unrootable Turbo (to keep my unlimited data), I decided that I would just replace the battery in the xt912. It's a PITA to change, but I did it with an EB40 battery bought on amazon. I'm pretty sure I didn't damage the phone at all when doing this, and I'm also pretty sure I tightened the battery contacts sufficiently, etc.

So when I plug in my wall charger to juice up my new battery, Moto logo appears, phone fails to boot. No battery charging logo appears.

Fastboot? Battery too low.

Recovery mode? Results in dead android man with a red ! exclamation point.

Safestrap not an option at all, of course.

I can get into BP diag. Sim card and sd card not detected. Red ? question mark over the battery charge indicator. Can get into settings >> privacy >> reset phone. I wipe internal storage, android man with blue spinning thing while install attempts. Crashes with android man and red exclamation point.

Also checked battery in settings, no battery to speak of.

If I plug into the computer, the phone gets no power and I can't attempt Fastboot to use Matt's utility.

The boot loop tricks I have found don't work. It's as if swapping out the battery caused the phone to forget everything it knew, including how to charge the battery.

Would the blackhat moto factory adapter solve my problem and allow me to factory reset?

I'd hate to open the phone again, but odds on a bad battery install or a bad battery?

Any other suggestions?

#2 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:07 AM

I would try the adapter and see if that helps.  The red ? indicates the phone is not reading the battery level for some reason, I would re-check the connections.  Also, you won't get the phone to boot if the battery is totally dead, even it's plugged in.  Have you plugged it into the wall and let it sit for a while?  You probably won't get the charging animation since the phone can't read the battery condition.  I wouldn't try any other diagnostics, unitl you have a good battery or that adapter, you could make a perma-brick.

R. Long: Pixel 5

#3 beerman

beerman

Keg Supplier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationin the Brewery

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

Any luck? Im on the same boat as OP. Rather than paying full price for the turbo. I am also looking to replacing the battery on my maxx. BTW how's the quality on the new battery ? Got any recommendation of where to get a good quality battery ?

#4 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:09 PM

I would only by OEM batteries. Doing so, they are all basically same quality and won't explode.....

Turbo Driven Comment

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery, root, CM, brick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users