413 replies to this topic

#181 figure9

figure9

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWV
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR Maxx HD, Nexus 7 (2012 Wi-Fi)

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:34 PM

Not sure if it's placebo effect

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

7.94KB   29 downloads

Or if device is running faster after 12-4...

• nprevette420 and angels15290 like this

#182 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:25 AM

I've had issues dirty flashing, every time I dirty flash I get stuck in a bootloop. I have to clean flash every build.

I see a 12/05 build. Did you just recompile or did you change something that might fix the issues people are having?

I know in the end, this is still alpha, so I don't expect it to be working or to be stable, but even the first release was pretty darned stable overall. At least at this point, no deal breakers for me, so I'm going to stick with this as my daily driver. Just had that nasty hiccup where I couldn't clean install anything after 11/28. Very weird.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#183 figure9

figure9

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:51 AM

For what it's worth I'm having near identical problem to those of ibolski and heybuddy.

When I install the zips (CM-12 12-4, Gapps 11-22, Super SU 2.37) from internal storage via the TWRP 2.8.1 recovery: When setting up I get a request to insert SIM. Occasionally it will say it's setting up cellular service but doesn't seem to succeed. If i hit skip it then goes to the wi-fi screen and asks me to select a network. None are displayed even though several are available. When I hit skip step it warns me about not having internet access and then reboots. Sometimes it bootloops, and sometimes it will return to the language selection of the setup. 

If i install only the CM-12 via the same method it yields an unresponsive mess that doesn't have a navigation bar at the bottom. and will not show the power menu when the power button is held. 

Is there a possibility that I am not properly wiping all partitions? Using the advaced wipe menu from recovery i format Dalvik, Data, Internal Storage, Cache and System but leave External as I have my backups stored there.

Try using TWRP 2.8.2.0. I had similar issues (basically an unusable UI) until I updated my recovery. After that, I did a factory reset, reflashed the same image (CM12 11-30), and it ran beautifully. Been dirty flashing ever since without issues without any major issues that would prevent this from serving as my daily driver.    

Edited by figure9, 05 December 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#184 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:04 AM

Try using TWRP 2.8.2.0. I had similar issues (basically an unusable UI) until I updated my recovery. After that, I did a factory reset, reflashed the same image (CM12 11-30), and it ran beautifully. Been dirty flashing ever since without issues.    

I'm using 2.8.2.0 and I still have the issues unless I flash 11/28 then dirty flash the latest over it.

I don't believe the version of TWRP is the issue. For me, it could be because my device ID is wiped in Verizon's system, but I don't think that would be causing the issue since I can flash 11/28 of CM12 without issues. I can also flash CM11 without any issues as well as flash back to stock.

Something is going on with the later builds of CM12 after 11/28 it appears. Just not sure what, but this is pre-beta so I'm just happy we can get it running somewhat reliably. Would be nice to get the kinks out so that I can clean flash any release. That day will come as this has only been out for about 2 weeks.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#185 Playb3yond

Playb3yond

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:12 PM

I can't get through setup, either WiFi doesn't turn in when I'm on the screen to select it, or it crashes when I try to skip it

#186 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:38 PM

Yep I get the same on the latest BlissPop, so I gave up and dirty flashing over the top of the previous did what nprevette said, it just boot loops

#187 Darkchilde

Darkchilde

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR M

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:22 PM

I was having a lot of problems flashing with TWRP 2.8.2.0, ended up going back to 2.8.1.0, and everything is gravy.

#188 figure9

figure9

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

I'm using 2.8.2.0 and I still have the issues unless I flash 11/28 then dirty flash the latest over it.

I don't believe the version of TWRP is the issue. For me, it could be because my device ID is wiped in Verizon's system, but I don't think that would be causing the issue since I can flash 11/28 of CM12 without issues. I can also flash CM11 without any issues as well as flash back to stock.

Something is going on with the later builds of CM12 after 11/28 it appears. Just not sure what, but this is pre-beta so I'm just happy we can get it running somewhat reliably. Would be nice to get the kinks out so that I can clean flash any release. That day will come as this has only been out for about 2 weeks.

Oh ok I wasn't sure if you were still on 2.8.1. The issues I was was having were more related to the overall reliability of the ROM, until I updated to 2.8.2.0. From what I've read (and I'm not to keen on the specifics), TWRP 2.8.2.0 is the first version of their recovery that's oriented towards 5.0-based ROMs. Sure enough, it made a world of difference! Basically my initial problems were caused by a bad flash/old recovery.

Since flashing this ROM successfully though, I can say I've enjoyed it a lot, and you're right about the reliability and stability just a few weeks in! Plus the bragging rights to having 5.0 before most everyone else I know...Thanks devs!

Hopefully VZW can get you re-registered in their system, yet I can't help but wonder why and how it was removed to begin with. When I had Verizon (now using AT&T through StraightTalk ;) ), I lived in their 'Roaming' area, but worked where there was 4g LTE coverage. When the KK OTA first came out I was able to download the OTA update via my home wi-fi, but the update would not install until I crossed into the Red on my way to work. Makes me wonder if Verizon now kicks out devices that don't fall within a certain set of paramters, i.e. Android 5.0 for XT926 does not "officially" exist, therefore this device doesn't exist either.   

#189 nprevette420

nprevette420

BlissPop Maintainer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Device(s):XT907 BlissPop v3.1

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

After reading all of the issues, it seems Lollipop is trouble for some and not for others (I have no idea why this is). I am having no issues flashing or booting and setting up using TWRP 2.8.2.0. While others can't even get it to boot. Check out what dhacker said about this (he is the man when it comes to moto_msm8960)

Read

lol

• ibolski, threewest, figure9 and 1 other like this

Like My Work? Send me a donation (Google Wallet)

send to: nprevette420@gmail.com
Need Help? Send me a message

#190 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:16 PM

Okay, CM12 might not have been the issue with wiping my device ID. Per tech support, when I powered on my phone as he was monitoring, he noticed the SIM was returning to Verizon a garbled device ID and he said whenever he sees this, it means a bad SIM.

So, I went to Verizon, got a new SIM and it reregistered my device correctly.

As for CM12, I clean flashed 11/28 first because that was the latest version that worked from a clean flash. I then flashed 12/04 on top of it and everything works fine. I haven't tried clean flashing the latest since I got my new SIM. I might try it just to see.

• nprevette420 and figure9 like this

2cqd4t2.png

#191 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:53 PM

Well, clean flashed dhacker's 12/05 build and it worked. Maybe it was the SIM? Seems to make sense possibly.

That or dhacker fixed something as of the 12/05 build. There were a lot of comments in the CM12 change log.

2cqd4t2.png

#192 heybuddy

heybuddy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR HD, NEXUS 5

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:00 PM

ok got it to work after hours of trials and error. steps i took some might be un-needed but thats how i got it to load.
using TWRP 2.8.2.0
1. wipe all but sd card (advance wipe)
2. format data, cache, and system to f2fs (advance wipe)
3. delete folder (media) and files (.layout_version) in the "/data" folder using advance then file manager at TWRP home screen (media folder and ".layout_version" are the only thing i see on mine)
4. repair data (under wipe, advance wipe)
5. loaded 20141205, gapps, and superSU.2.37 all at once (it will fail)
6. wipe all but sd card
7. loaded 20141205, gapps, and superSU.2.37 all at once
8. reboot

clean flashed 20141204 (as a test) after this with out doing what i did above no nav buttons or top bar. tested with steps above nav buttons and top bar.

might have just been the ".layout_version" causing the nav buttons and top bar not showing up as ther is nothing in the media folder idk this is just what i did.

so many flashes i can tell when it almost done booting the screen gets brighter hopes this helps anyone experiencing the same thing i did. thanks to all who bring new updates to old phones.

#193 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:00 AM

ok got it to work after hours of trials and error. steps i took some might be un-needed but thats how i got it to load.
using TWRP 2.8.2.0
1. wipe all but sd card (advance wipe)
2. format data, cache, and system to f2fs (advance wipe)
3. delete folder (media) and files (.layout_version) in the "/data" folder using advance then file manager at TWRP home screen (media folder and ".layout_version" are the only thing i see on mine)
4. repair data (under wipe, advance wipe)
5. loaded 20141205, gapps, and superSU.2.37 all at once (it will fail)
6. wipe all but sd card
7. loaded 20141205, gapps, and superSU.2.37 all at once
8. reboot

clean flashed 20141204 (as a test) after this with out doing what i did above no nav buttons or top bar. tested with steps above nav buttons and top bar.

might have just been the ".layout_version" causing the nav buttons and top bar not showing up as ther is nothing in the media folder idk this is just what i did.

so many flashes i can tell when it almost done booting the screen gets brighter hopes this helps anyone experiencing the same thing i did. thanks to all who bring new updates to old phones.

You do realize that even though you reformatter system and cache to f2fs, when you flash the ROM, it will reformat it back to ext4? So, that really doesn't gain you anything.

Until the kernel is fully f2fs-aware (all-f2fs as they call it I think), you can only format /data to f2fs. Everything else will get reformatted back to ext4.

2cqd4t2.png

#194 heybuddy

heybuddy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR HD, NEXUS 5

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:11 AM

You do realize that even though you reformatter system and cache to f2fs, when you flash the ROM, it will reformat it back to ext4? So, that really doesn't gain you anything.

Until the kernel is fully f2fs-aware (all-f2fs as they call it I think), you can only format /data to f2fs. Everything else will get reformatted back to ext4.

yeah i see that when the rom loads, but hey its working. hell the thing that might of made it work might have been just deleting the ".layout_version"

#195 Slickademo

Slickademo

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:29 AM

Newest build is amazing! I can access my external storage finally. Wooooo weeeee

#196 crengr

crengr

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

I've assigned a new MP3 ringtone in Settings / Sound & notifcation / Phone ringtone and it plays back correctly.  Yet, when I call my phone it reverts to what I assume is the default ringtone (ding - ding - ding ...).  Have any others encountered this?  Thanks, in advance, for your feedback.

#197 dvgb131

dvgb131

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Twitter:dvgb173
  • LocationAlbany
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:29 AM

I've assigned a new MP3 ringtone in Settings / Sound & notifcation / Phone ringtone and it plays back correctly. Yet, when I call my phone it reverts to what I assume is the default ringtone (ding - ding - ding ...). Have any others encountered this? Thanks, in advance, for your feedback.

I was unable to use an mp3 as a ringtone on 5.0.

Doug B.

• crengr likes this
Doug B.

#198 Not_A_Dev

Not_A_Dev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid Razr HD Maxx

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:55 AM

I've assigned a new MP3 ringtone in Settings / Sound & notifcation / Phone ringtone and it plays back correctly.  Yet, when I call my phone it reverts to what I assume is the default ringtone (ding - ding - ding ...).  Have any others encountered this?  Thanks, in advance, for your feedback.

Yes, I have. But upon reboot, it recognizes the custom ringtone and notifications sounds again. #CM12_growingpains

• crengr likes this

#199 nprevette420

nprevette420

BlissPop Maintainer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Device(s):XT907 BlissPop v3.1

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:19 PM

Yes, I have. But upon reboot, it recognizes the custom ringtone and notifications sounds again. #CM12_growingpains

It is still alpha, it's not even beta yet. No where close to being stable. But for being alpha it is pretty darn stable. There will be bugs, and they are slowly being worked out.
  • crengr, Slickademo, figure9 and 1 other like this

Like My Work? Send me a donation (Google Wallet)

send to: nprevette420@gmail.com
Need Help? Send me a message

#200 Capt14k

Capt14k

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:20 PM

I had ringtone issue.  With mine what I figured out was another 0 was added when clean installing 12/04 build.  So I now had my ringtones in sdcard0/0/ringtones/  I moved ringtones to sdcard/ringtones and problem was solved.  I think even though ringtone can be selected through media control when it actually rings OS looks for ringtone in sdcard0/ringtones and if not there it defaults to default ringotne or just vibrating (had both happen).

Is there an updated CWM if so can someone point a link to it?

Lastly I still seem to be running into sms issues.  They sometimes are really slow and then send the same message repeatedly or it doesn't work at all.  I switched to Textra and problem seems to be better but still not perfect.  Any suggestions?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moto_msm8960, lollipop, cm12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users