Slickademo

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:04 AM

It's time for me to upgrade my Verizon line. In have narrowed down my choices to 3 phones. Here is the list of phones and price.

LG G3 $50

Sony Xperia Z3V $100

Galaxy Note 4 $200

Please let me know if you have owned any of these phones and what you think of them! Thank you.

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:47 AM

G3 is a great device IMO. Obviously the note 4 is a different class just because of its size and its riddled with touchwiz. I know very little about the sony. The G3 can use a bump twrp and Roms plus it allows you to flash older firmware at the moment.

sent from my N6

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:51 AM

Where's the poll?  Haha. 

Out of those choices, I would vote for the G3 also.  The Note is just too big for me, and like Kaos said, TouchWizz blows.  The new Motos aren't bad, but they're locked down.  If you want just pure performance and don't care about modding, I would go with a new X or Turbo.  Also, the M8 is a cheap upgrade right now, and development is huge for it.  The only thing that sucks about the M8 right now is that you'll be stuck without root until 5.0 makes it to the M8.  JCase is waiting to update his Sunshine app so the exploit can't be locked down when 5.0 comes out.

R. Long: Pixel 5

#4 Slickademo

Slickademo

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:25 AM

Where's the poll? Haha.

Out of those choices, I would vote for the G3 also. The Note is just too big for me, and like Kaos said, TouchWizz blows. The new Motos aren't bad, but they're locked down. If you want just pure performance and don't care about modding, I would go with a new X or Turbo. Also, the M8 is a cheap upgrade right now, and development is huge for it. The only thing that sucks about the M8 right now is that you'll be stuck without root until 5.0 makes it to the M8. JCase is waiting to update his Sunshine app so the exploit can't be locked down when 5.0 comes out.

I thought people voting would make this a poll lol. So the HTC M8 has a lot of support for Verizon? I want to unlock the bootloader and flash away if possible. At minimum I need root...

#5 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:31 AM

The M8 has Sunshine support from JCase.  It will run you $25.

• Slickademo likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#6 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:04 AM

I thought people voting would make this a poll lol. So the HTC M8 has a lot of support for Verizon? I want to unlock the bootloader and flash away if possible. At minimum I need root...

The M8 has Sunshine support from JCase. It will run you $25.

There is huge support for the M8, but if you get a phone on the 4.4.4 update, you won't be able to unlock until SunShine v3.0 comes out. If you don't want to wait, the G3 might be your best bet. Plus, there should be newer phone due out from HTC anytime. The M8 is about a year old.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

R. Long: Pixel 5

#7 BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Chatroom Tech Support

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Google+:mikebuck69@gmail.com
  • LocationMaine
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6, HTC One M8, Nexus 10

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

G3 is a really nice phone. Nice screen, decent battery life and the option to root/unlock is a big plus. The Note 4 is a big samsung phone. If you like samsung you'll love it, if you're a hater you won't, lol.  The Z3V is a rock solid phone. Nice build quality and an awesome battery, but, alas no root or unlock.

#8 Slickademo

Slickademo

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:16 AM

I hate touchwiz and wouldn't use the s pen... I really really like the Z3V but I played with it side by side with the G3 and honestly I feel like the G3 runs a little smoother. I can't believe the camera on the G3 seems to focus faster than Z3V. You'd think Sony would have the best camera but I swear the G3 has the edge.

#9 BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Chatroom Tech Support

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:01 AM

Don't forget the Z3V is water and dust proof as well.  I would hesitate to judge smoothness on a store display. Everyone and their cousin plays with them, downloads apps etc so you never know what's been enabled and is running the background.  I think the Camera is a push between the Sony and the G3. G3 has a better screen. Z3v has the build and battery.  I guess it all comes down to what you rate as higher importance in a smart phone.

I just came back to VZW from AT&T. I was running an Xperia Z2 and hated to get rid of it, based on what I like in a smart phone it was the best phone I've ever owned.  I now have the G3 but I would have gotten the Z3V if it had root.

#10 Slickademo

Slickademo

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:02 PM

Yeah true that. The water and dust proof and overall design trumps all phones IMO. The nice thing about the G3 is you can install TWRP and flash :) I read that those newer Sony phones will have issues if you unlock the bootloader :( Like I was saying the G3 camera seemed better which is crazy. What did you like about the z2 compared to the G3 ?

#11 BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Chatroom Tech Support

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:43 PM

Yeah true that. The water and dust proof and overall design trumps all phones IMO. The nice thing about the G3 is you can install TWRP and flash :) I read that those newer Sony phones will have issues if you unlock the bootloader :( Like I was saying the G3 camera seemed better which is crazy. What did you like about the z2 compared to the G3 ?

Battery life and build quality were what I loved about the Z2, plus the size was slightly smaller so it was easier to use one handed.  The stock UI for the sony was better too.  I have to use Nova launcher on my G3, which is OK because LG's stock launcher really has no redeeming qualities that I miss, lol

AFAIK there are only a couple of things that unlocking the bootloader breaks, and I've seen ROms that fixed those.  I never unlocked mine; just installed revovery and ran stock rooted.

• Slickademo likes this

#12 BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Chatroom Tech Support

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:18 PM

I see from XDA that you decided on the Z3V.  How do you like it so far?

• Slickademo likes this

#13 Slickademo

Slickademo

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

Yes! So far it's pretty awesome. Camera is sweet, battery life is nice. Overall great device so far

#14 Slickademo

Slickademo

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:29 AM

Did you ever have any Bluetooth problems with your z2? I'm thinking of doing a factory reset to make sure I am starting fresh...

#15 BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Chatroom Tech Support

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:46 AM

I can't say as I ever used bluetooth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic