475 replies to this topic

#21 detr0yt

detr0yt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDetroit MI.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

I knew i waited for a reason.... Good things come to those who wait!good job X!

#22 noamparn

noamparn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

This looks really cool (but I'm still too much of a chicken to do it).
What confuses me is the kernel version. The "oops" OTA release 4.1.2 has kernel 3.0.8.x, which is the same base as ICS kernel in the 4.0.4 OTA release.
I thought that JB was based on the 3.0.31 kernel.

#23 nukeruss

nukeruss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Twitter:nukeruss
  • Google+:nukeruss
  • LocationPalmyra, PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx XT912

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

This is really easy and non threatening. It changes nothing on your phone but the kernel which can be easily swapped back again utilizing the utility. The hardest part with using the utility is remembering to reboot your computer after installing the fastboot drivers (I always forget that step and then wonder why my phone won't communicate with my computer). It took me a couple of tries to figure out which buttons to hold to put the phone in fastboot mode also (I think it was all three at once but I've already forgot again). If you've already rooted your phone and utilized safestrap then there is nothing to fear. I like the fact that I'm using the JB leak now while I still have .211 installed on the phone and another JB .211 based ROM in slot 2. Hashcodes Rom is great by the way. I have been using since this utility was released last night and have not seen any problems. Everything works that I've tried and I've pretty much tried everything except HDMI.
  • droidrazr99 likes this

#24 androidlearner

androidlearner

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

I knew i waited for a reason.... Good things come to those who wait!good job X!

+1 on that!

Sent from Razr Maxx running Full Throttle Killer Bean

#25 noamparn

noamparn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

What happens to all your apps and settings (both the OS settings and app preferences) when you switch between ROMs? Do you need to reinstall and reconfigure everything?

#26 KrYpToNiTe

KrYpToNiTe

• Superuser
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Moto X, Asus Infinity TF700T

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

This is awesome! Is there anyway you can add the .215 kernel/boot.img to this utility so those of us on .215 don't have to fastboot to back to .211 to use this?

#27 nukeruss

nukeruss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPalmyra, PA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

With Safestrap your basically setting up a new phone within a folder on your old phone. Everything is run from that folder when your running that ROM You would have to re-install all of your apps and preferences just like you would with a new phone (none of this affects anything with your original setup on .211, it's all done within the folders for the ROM). You can use Titanium (Might screw up your new ROM though if you just batch restore stuff) to restore apps and app settings. Do not restore system settings/apps or else the ROM will have major issues. I backed up my JB .211(ROM slot 2 on my phone) apps using titanium and then restored the important apps individually so as not to screw up the ROM system files and everything went fine.

#28 nukeruss

nukeruss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPalmyra, PA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

<br />This is awesome! Is there anyway you can add the .215 kernel/boot.img to this utility so those of us on .215 don't have to fastboot to back to .211 to use this? <br />

<br /><br />Good call. I was on .215 when I flashed this. So I guess a .215 kernel would be best If I want to go back to stock. I know that .211 ROMS don't care if your on .211 or .215. I might have been on .214. Oh well I guess I'll just flash .211 kernel when I get home tonight and see what happens. If it does not work then I'll just flash the JB kernel back and know that I can allways fastboot back to .211 If I ever feel the need to. I'm pretty sure that the .214 kernel is floating around (found it in Matt's 1.81 utility) out there also in one of Matt's utilities from this summer when we were all Crack-flashing leaks left and right.<br /><br />Did .215 update the kernel or just the radio and sytsem tweaks? I seem to remember that the kernel was the same for both but I might be wrong.

#29 noamparn

noamparn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

With Safestrap your basically setting up a new phone within a folder on your old phone. Everything is run from that folder when your running that ROM You would have to re-install all of your apps and preferences just like you would with a new phone (none of this affects anything with your original setup on .211, it's all done within the folders for the ROM). You can use Titanium (Might screw up your new ROM though if you just batch restore stuff) to restore apps and app settings. Do not restore system settings/apps or else the ROM will have major issues. I backed up my JB .211(ROM slot 2 on my phone) apps using titanium and then restored the important apps individually so as not to screw up the ROM system files and everything went fine.

That's what I thought, thanks for clarifying.
Once I set everything up, however, does it keep it all when I switch back and forth between ROMs?
Do things that are synced to my accounts (like my gmail address book) sync properly when you switch between ROMs?

I am a little scared to try switching ROMs on my "primary" phone.
I might play around with my old Droid 2 Global first.

#30 nukeruss

nukeruss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPalmyra, PA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Yes everything just sits there and waits for you to activate it again in safestrap. I've gone a couple of weeks before switching back to stock and then I have a couple dozen app updates waiting for me. I've actually swapped between ROMS just to update all of the apps for each ROM. And yes everything synchs up just fine.

#31 Emurp3

Emurp3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Bro... I need a comprehensive set of instructions. I'm trying to read all the threads to patch it together, but a comprehensive set of instructions for someone who is not a noob but not quite as experienced as you would be nice. For example, switching kernels. All I want to do is add jellybean. So if switching kernels is necessary help a bro out :-)

#32 KrYpToNiTe

KrYpToNiTe

• Superuser
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

Good call. I was on .215 when I flashed this. So I guess a .215 kernel would be best If I want to go back to stock. I know that .211 ROMS don't care if your on .211 or .215. I might have been on .214. Oh well I guess I'll just flash .211 kernel when I get home tonight and see what happens. If it does not work then I'll just flash the JB kernel back and know that I can allways fastboot back to .211 If I ever feel the need to. I'm pretty sure that the .214 kernel is floating around (found it in Matt's 1.81 utility) out there also in one of Matt's utilities from this summer when we were all Crack-flashing leaks left and right.<br /><br />Did .215 update the kernel or just the radio and sytsem tweaks? I seem to remember that the kernel was the same for both but I might be wrong.

Yea I don't know if the .214 kernel is the same for .215, if it is I have matt's utility that has the .214 kernel.

#33 xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx

CrackFlasher

• Superuser
  • 409 posts
  • Twitter:xlightwaverx
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Current Device(s):XT912, Kindle Fire HD

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

I'll add .215 tonight after I get out of work and maybe add some more instructions. If anyone knows how to pull the img it would save me some time. Throwing it on dropbox and sending me the link would also help. Any 215 takers? :)

X
  • cvhovey and PillClinton like this

GTalk/Email: xlightwaverx[@]gmail.com | Android Development | CrackFlasher Downloads
x4_logo.png.pagespeed.ic.voMTetxHpH.png

#34 Kyle06

Kyle06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Well I did this with the stock motoblur rom, the phone is running wonderfully

#35 KrYpToNiTe

KrYpToNiTe

• Superuser
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

I'll add .215 tonight after I get out of work and maybe add some more instructions. If anyone knows how to pull the img it would save me some time. Throwing it on dropbox and sending me the link would also help. Any 215 takers? :)

X

Awesome thank you, um I would pull it for you if I knew how. Is there a thread on how to do it, I can't remember?

#36 PillClinton

PillClinton

#FireGaryBettman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter:530SharksFan
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

X

Thanks for adding support for .215!! Can't wait til this is available. If you don't have the file by this evening, let me know. Once I'm home & have access to a better computer I can pull & upload it for you.

#37 nukeruss

nukeruss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPalmyra, PA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

I can attest that ICS .215 boots just fine on the. 211 kernel.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

59.38KB   63 downloads

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx with the latest leak & JB Dual Boot

• cvhovey likes this

#38 nukeruss

nukeruss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPalmyra, PA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Experiment over!!! I'm going back to Jelly.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx with the latest leak & JB Dual Boot

#39 cvhovey

cvhovey

Post Traumatic nOOb Disorder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Moto X Dev Ed, Moto X Retail, Nexus 7, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X, OG Droid

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

I'll add .215 tonight after I get out of work and maybe add some more instructions....

That's super! I'm at home and could pull the boot.img ... if I knew how. I'm running Kebob's stock/rooted .215 and have the .215 leak file (boot.img.p) as well as Kebob's .215 file on my computer. If I need to do an adb pull or something, normally I can handle that, using copy-n-paste commands. I've looked up how to pull the boot.img but not finding anything specific to Moto ... the one's I've found are for Samsung or HTC phones.

BUT ... if .215 boots fine on the .211 kernel, perhaps problem solved. Thx nukeruss....

Droid Razr M XT907 B/L Unlocked - Stock Rooted

#40 nukeruss

nukeruss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPalmyra, PA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

I'm back to JB goodness. Sorry it took so long. I was frying hotdogs for the kids.

60.02KB   59 downloads

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx booting JB leak within .211 safe strap. (JB Dual Boot - XT912)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users