Photo

Having Problems With Your DROID Razr or RAZR Maxx After Jelly Bean Upgrade? Verizon May Replace It for Free

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 papabliss2007

papabliss2007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

So i was thinking of heading out to the verizon store but i need to sanitize my phone first. I lost root after the JB upgrade but still have the superuser icon. Is there a way to just remove that icon? since its a system file i cant delete the file. Can i flash back to 211 or 214? or am i SOL till the rootkit for JB razr comes out?

Had same issue with superuser icon but no root. Used Matt's unbrick utility to clean up and then ran upgrade again from recovery. About as stock as I can get now. Runs great but no root. It's my understanding that evidence of root is still present in the boot.img.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#42 wabmorgan

wabmorgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Confirmed success on replacing phone.

I have unlimited data plan and was in the same boat as others, where I can't upgrade my phone unless I either pay FULL RETAIL or give up UNLIMITED DATA. After speaking with Verizon, then Motorola, then Verizon again... They agreed to send me a WARENTY phone, even though my phone has NO WARENTY... due to the fact that I bought it on Craigslist, and assured me that they were getting everything set up to ensure no change to plan, contract, pricing, etc... As long as my phone is not rooted ;)

So, happy days... I will be getting a new razor maxx (perhaps with less backened marks on the display) in 3 days, with a rootable ICS.

THE TRICK HERE IS STAMD YOUR GROUND WHILE BEING RESPECTFUL TO EVERY PERSON YOU GET TRANSFEREE TO.

I knew this would take some doing, and I figured they would either find a way to revert me back or replace the phone... And they did! The funny thing is, I saw this post yesterday after being on the phone with them for hours yesterday. Surprisingly, it does not seems as though they were able to track the IEM of those who downloaded. I was sure they would have tracked his nfo, but tried anyway. In the end... They were unable to track if I upgraded via software push, or SD CARD ;)

So I just got off the phone and they are sending me another Razr. Technical support ran through the steps of wiping cache and remoting into my phone. My signal was dropping in and out the whole time and he kept losing connection with my phone. Now in three days I will have a new Razr and can figure out if I want to roll back to ICS and send back my old phone or just keep JB on my old one. It almost makes me wish that I had scratches and scrapes and didn't keep it in an Otterbox all day.

Just FYI after resetting my SIM card the phone seems to be holding data much better.

I have looked at a few threads in a few forums but I have yet to see if anyone actually got a new phone or upgrade. My phone is working fine Google Now doesn't quite seem right and my wifi signal is not as strong. My Razr is nearly mint so to go to the store and deal with the hassle and not walk out with the Razr HD seems silly to me.

Yes.... I am almost fearful of "WHAT" I would get in the way of a replacement. :-( My Razr is MINT. Not even one scratch on it anywhere. :-) I would be glad to upgrade IF I can keep unlimited data and simply pay the normal 2 year phone price for a Razr Maxx HD or Note 2... but getting a replacement Razr Maxx under warranty seems questionable as to "WHAT" I might get.

I may just decide to do the upgrade out of pocket. However, in my case, I was one of those that got the update pushed to me.

#43 cdavid469

cdavid469

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationFort Campbell

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

Ummmm, because what you are proposing to do is inherently dishonest perhaps? No offense intended, and I'm not saying this to start an ethics debate, but you did ask the question...

And I say not letting me upgrade without losing unlimited is more dishonest after saying we were grandfathered in and swearing its a better deal on the family share plan, why would you force me into a better deal unless its a better deal for you. I'm not going to pay over 80 a month for data. Verizon is so far removed from ethics that I feel zero remorse for taking any dollar amount out of their pocket, if they were a small business or an individual enterprise relying on my every penny to keep the lights on I would care. The difference is they will steal from the poorest of the poor who rely on a basic plan as their only means of communication, so Dishonest yes, but justice also

#44 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

And I say not letting me upgrade without losing unlimited is more dishonest after saying we were grandfathered in and swearing its a better deal on the family share plan, why would you force me into a better deal unless its a better deal for you. I'm not going to pay over 80 a month for data. Verizon is so far removed from ethics that I feel zero remorse for taking any dollar amount out of their pocket, if they were a small business or an individual enterprise relying on my every penny to keep the lights on I would care. The difference is they will steal from the poorest of the poor who rely on a basic plan as their only means of communication, so Dishonest yes, but justice also

I think most see your point, but keep in mind this all falls from a Moto error. Not that that makes a whole lot of difference to us as the old Moto has not been that reputable in the not too distant past, but thinking you are getting something out of VZW here is not entirely true. VZW is not going to pay for the error, you can bet it will fall back on Moto. John mentioned that, yes, VZW will put out the manpower, etc, BUT Google has spent a bunch of time and effort recently kicking VZW down a peg and this just sets that back a step. This mess is just not a good thing at this point for anyone. This gives VZW the leg to stand that they really need to be the middle man on updates so this kind of thing doesn't happen- and we don't want that.

Just shows even more that Moto needs to stick to hardware which they are good at and Google handle the software.
  • marka_450 likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#45 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Hey all just popping in here to make sure everyone stays cool. We the staff know this thread is a hot button issue which we have seen come up before and many people fall under different sides of the ethics of this.

Obviously this info is out on the net if you want to find it hence the DL link in the OP but as a community we would like to provide our members with as much info as possible; however I don't want this thread to take a turn for the worse and I will be keeping an eye on it.

Remember we are all a community and Android enthusiasts at the end of the day.

Happy New Year...
  • droidian1441 likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#46 - JPB

- JPB

DG Mooter

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationNear S.J., CA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

2WDMAR
  • fred03031 likes this
"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." - Arthur Schopenhauer

#47 - JPB

- JPB

DG Mooter

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationNear S.J., CA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hey all just popping in here to make sure everyone stays cool. We the staff know this thread is a hot button issue which we have seen come up before and many people fall under different sides of the ethics of this.

Obviously this info is out on the net if you want to find it hence the DL link in the OP but as a community we would like to provide our members with as much info as possible; however I don't want this thread to take a turn for the worse and I will be keeping an eye on it.

Remember we are all a community and Android enthusiasts at the end of the day.

Happy New Year...

No worries. I'm cool. I have no intention of getting into a flame war...

Happy New Year to you as well (and you too, cdavid469. I bear you no ill will, and while I don't condone what you have proposed nor agree with your rationalizations of it, I do understand where you are coming from and you are, of course, free to follow your own personal ethical guidelines...)
  • fred03031 likes this
"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." - Arthur Schopenhauer

#48 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

No worries. I'm cool. I have no intention of getting into a flame war...

Happy New Year to you as well (and you too, cdavid469. I bear you no ill will, and while I don't condone what you have proposed nor agree with your rationalizations of it, I do understand where you are coming from and you are, of course, free to follow your own personal ethical guidelines...)

Same here. It's easy to run down a road without seeing the intersections. Just helping to point out the street signs :D . We're a big family here, doesn't mean we don't have different opinions :rolleyes: . In the end, I know that if someone is in a bind, at least someone here will jump to help. Happy New Year to you all at DroidRzr !

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#49 theBonVoyage

theBonVoyage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

The internal sd card is formatted but Superuser sticks around. And trying to remove it shows just app info no uninstall option. Is there a way to force remove the other 8gb partition and have it reinstall all Binaries and folders cleanly?

check your pm

#50 studiorat

studiorat

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Current Device(s):Jelly Wizzed JB Droid Maxx

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Agreed.....VZW has been lying and stealing from every customer since they were metro mobile.......I say take em for all you can!!! While i also agree its Dishonest, what they do is 10 fold Dishonest, Ethical Beliefs have no place in this situation, and I will not personally feel any remorse for VZW
Offending The Masses since 1967.........FTW........Christianity is a Farse!!!

#51 - JPB

- JPB

DG Mooter

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationNear S.J., CA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Agreed.....VZW has been lying and stealing from every customer since they were metro mobile.......I say take em for all you can!!! While i also agree its Dishonest, what they do is 10 fold Dishonest, Ethical Beliefs have no place in this situation, and I will not personally feel any remorse for VZW

Yes, you will get no argument from me that vzw is almost evil incarnate, and I certainly will not defend their actions. He asked "Why not?". I answered, in no uncertain terms. In the end, we all make our own decisions though, and although I will not begrudge someone going after what they may feel is their "come uppance", I just wanted to ensure some real thought was given to the ethics behind such decisions.

Imho, ethical beliefs have a place in everything and, once again, 2WDMAR.

#52 abrasher

abrasher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Twitter:@INKMD
  • LocationAthens, Ga - USA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

T be fair, for me... Tis isn't the same situation as me flashing a CUSTOM ROM and things going wrong. When I do that, I understand the risk I am taking and the act alone signifies that much. If installing ARCTIC HD somehow broke my phone, which it wouldn't ;), I would never contact VZW to discuss my options.

This is was far different, for me at least. I returned home to news that MOTO was pushing an update... and being the eager beaver that I am, that we all are likely - hence our membership to this community, I wanted to install it now. This s what led to me downloading and installing this, presumed, MOTO JB UPDATE. It was only after installing and finding the issues that I did, that it was made clear that this was likely an accident that I found myself unhappy with the firmware.

So, I feel completely justified, in these unique circumstances, to ask VZW to help. I too have unlimited data and was told this year, RANDOMLY, you will no longer be able to upgrade your phone AND keep your contract. This was not fair, ethical, or something that was open for discussion. I think unethical falls closer to deciding LATER that you want to make more monry than you do, so you decide that you will simply change the terms of a contract to better suit yourself. If I signed a contract with you stating for $30 a month I would do your laundry and cook you dinner once a week... I could not simply decide later that doing your launcpdry was grosser than expected, and i hated cooking, so instead of $30 I want to you to pay me $80... Regardless of what the contract says. And if you don't want to pay me $80, no food... No starch... & expect shrunken shirts.

If this were a small claims court kind of business... VZW would be losing every case. So, my opinion 2wdmar... But, I see only one wrong. My two cents... P.S. I wasn't offended by anyone else's thoughts on the issue, and am not trying to debate anyone's thoughts... Just sharing mine. (Which are the best thoughts ;) )

#53 guharajdeep

guharajdeep

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

called up the vzw tech guy right now, he told me to expect another update in a couple weeks time. so hopefully will get another "official" update soon.

#54 TheMiz

TheMiz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:theemiz
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

Since I have upgraded my OS to JB I keep getting this message every morning, I have no clue what it means etc. and was wondering if anyone else has it:

"Unfortunately , The Process Com Motorola.vzw.vmm has stopped" what is that all about ?

#55 M42duster

M42duster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

I got that error as well. I reset my phone, hope it doesn't reappear.

#56 wabmorgan

wabmorgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

Since I have upgraded my OS to JB I keep getting this message every morning, I have no clue what it means etc. and was wondering if anyone else has it:

"Unfortunately , The Process Com Motorola.vzw.vmm has stopped" what is that all about ?

I got that error as well. I reset my phone, hope it doesn't reappear.

Backup Assistant+ Media 1.0 (com.motorola.vzw.vmm)

#57 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

I have a hard time with all the "VZW lied to us" stuff. From the Verizon TOS (which each and every one of us agreed to). You know, that pesky terms of service thing that nobody reads :) :

Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?

We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change. If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no Early Termination Fee if we fail to negate the change after you notify us of your objection to it.

#58 wabmorgan

wabmorgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

called up the vzw tech guy right now, he told me to expect another update in a couple weeks time. so hopefully will get another "official" update soon.

Great.... a second time opportunity to break root. :-(

#59 cyberLurker

cyberLurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Twitter:cyberLurker
  • Google+:4hernan@gmail.com

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:58 AM

Connect a laptop how?.

Sorry that was a typo...
What I meant was everytime I connect my phone to my lapdock, the phone reboots.
Is anybody else having the same issue, and it has anyone found a remedy.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#60 TheMiz

TheMiz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:theemiz
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

Backup Assistant+ Media 1.0 (com.motorola.vzw.vmm)

Any fix ?

Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users