#1 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

OK Just figured I'd post this here because honestly the Droid DNA section looks a little bear! lol.. Well for whom every has the Droid DNA I'm sure you've seen the fact that the device is Carrier unlocked! For those of you that don't know what that really means... in short. The phone can be activated on GSM networks! I have personally tested on AT&T and T-Mobile, both with success! I will add that ofcoarse you will not have access to LTE. But on AT&T you will pickup HSDPA which will yeild anywhere from 2 to 4 gig downloads in my area. If you attempted to go the T-Mobile route though you won't be able to connect to more then just Edge. Unless you happen to be in an area where T-Mobile has gone live with their 1900mghz band. Then you will see around the same as AT&T.

Why would you want to do this??
You may ask. Well for me the answer is simple! It gives you the freedom of being able to tell VZW to shove it and move to a different carrier and not needing to absolutely buy a new device! Just knowing the possiblity is out there, tested, and works is the major reason for this post!

How do I try this myself?
I wish it was as easy as just dropping in a SIM card and away you go. Well with T-Mobile it actually was, replaced the VZW sim with the T-mobile provided sim and a reboot later it picked up data. Phone calls and txt message worked just fine.. MMS, no such luck! If you decide to go and try the AT&T route(prefered for my location) it did take a little more finagling. Once the SIM card was in place the phone would boot and make phone calls just fine, but data would not connect without adding a new APN. You accomplish this by: Settings->Mobile data->GSM/UMTS options->Access point names-> Press the menu button and select add new APN. Below I will show you #1 what the apn settings for AT&T need to be set for in the majority of cases, #2 the apn settings I ultimately ended up with getting my data connected.

AT&T:
APN: PTA
Proxy: [Leave Blank]
Port: [Leave Blank]
Username: [Leave Blank]
Password: [Leave Blank]
Server: [Leave Blank]
MMSC:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS Port: 80
MMS Protocol: [Leave Blank]
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
APN Type - default,admin.fota,mms,supl,hipri

AT&T - My Current APN setup:
APN: wap.cingular
Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
MMSC:

MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MMS Protocol: [Leave Blank]
MNC: 410

T-Mobile:
APN: epc.tmobile.com
Username: [Leave Blank]
Password: [Leave Blank]
MMSC:

MMS Proxy: [Leave Blank]
MMS Port: [Leave Blank]
MMS Protocol: 2.0
MNC: 260

Source of APN Settings:

Final Note: If you're looking for an option outside of VZW to use the Droid DNA... you have them! To be honest I went to both t-mobile and at&t stores and bought a month of pre-pay service just to test this out and employees at both stores were estatic!! One guy even said he was going to VZW after work to buy one! lol.. Talk, Text, Data all work... I have yet to find a solution for MMS on either carrier but will update when I do!
  • mike_augie and Memnoch73 like this

#2 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

just in case of info updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users