It was a generous gift by the community (HERE!), and I am thankful to be getting it.
Why get a RAZR? What's the deal? Am I going to stop Droid 3 development? Rumor has it that I also have a Droid Bionic.. is that true?
No I'm not stopping development for Droid 3.
Lately, I've been considering the pace of the cell phone market and Android growth. Sadly, we've all seen phones become obsolete 2 months after they were released. And these are GOOD phones, that can run anything out there today. Add to that the fact that development on these phones is so spread out, it's hard sometimes to feel good about staying with Motorola and not jumping ship to the Galaxy Nexus or some phone which is the dev pick of the week.
I'd like to ask the rhetorical question:
Q: How do we encourage MORE development across what is essentially 3-4 phones in 5 months?
A: I HAVE A PLAN.
- The first step is getting a stable ICS running on ALL of them. Especially, the phones who have the most developers / themers and modders. That's where it starts. Get someone who wants to create something a nice blank canvas.
- That "canvas" happens to be a 960x540 sized phone screen. All of these phones are setup NEARLY the SAME when it comes to the Android OS and the graphics that runs on it. And they all face the same challenges getting ICS up and running on them.
- I will personally get involved in helping to port ANY AOSP/CM9 ROM from the phone that it was created on to the others. OR educating those willing on how to port over ROMs from 1 phone to another.
The answer is simple: we should and WILL.
Some keys to successfully pulling this off:
- When you port someone else's work to a different phone: KEEP THE ORIGINAL CREATOR'S "BY LINE" INTACT. Sure, add yourself as the person who did the port. But give credit where credit is due. Hey, if I knew I could do something for 1 phone but have it possibly end up on 3 others.. I'd be that much more interested in doing it.
- Stick together, and help each other out. If you know of a solution to a problem and you see someone asking for help, why not help them? They could be on their way to creating the most BADASS ROM ever.
- Keep it fun. No drama. Nothing kills development faster than drama. We're all adults (or close). Why not just discuss it and work it out?
I have a Droid 3, Bionic and a RAZR. And I fully intend to use each one to help get us to my Master Plan™ (see above).