>> As this update is 99% not going to be part of the upgrade path. Here's how to get yourself back on track should you want/need to.
>> 1) RSD back to factory (Wipe "should" not be necessary)
>> 2) Re-root (Doomlord only) and apply OTA Rootkeeper/Protect SU
>> 3) Go through your normal updates to the current OTA (Currently 6.12.173.XT912)
>> 4) Restore root using OTA Rootkeeper
>> 5) Profit
Original Post as follows for reference only.
Happy Thursday all. I have a small present for you today.
Same rules apply as the previous patch guide I gave everyone last time. If you're having issues, go read that thread. You must be on a fairly vanilla 6.12.173.XT912 (all bloat intact etc etc) to use this update. To be perfectly clear, THIS UPDATE IS ONLY FOR PEOPLE RUNNING STOCK 6.12.173.XT912 WITH UNEDITED/UNTHEMED/NON-ROM SYSTEMS.
This is what seems like a small emergency patch to address the FC when you hit the search hard key in the app drawer on 173 (which should become a live update shortly). Their fix seems to have been to just disable any search functionalitywhile the app drawer is open (no this doesn't affect the hard key anywhere else in android) . Simple enough right?
What this update does:
As far as I can tell all it does is fix the force close in the app drawer when you hit the search key. CDMA radio also is updated but no idea what changed. I figure VZW will verbage it something along the lines of "Improved Stability." There are other files in the update but none of them seem to do anything particularly interesting.
NOTE: THIS UPDATE BREAKS MY OLD 173 DOWNGRADE PACKAGE. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. IF YOU WISH TO RETURN TO STOCK FROM THIS POINT YOU'LL HAVE TO RSD/FASTBOOT BACK.
Anyway. Installation is very easy.
1) Be running 6.12.173.XT912 - Don't ask me if it'll work coming from other builds. This is mandatory. I will probably flame you or delete your post (depending on my mood) for asking if you can do this update straight from 6.11.748.XT912 or some other build. You can't.
2) DOWNLOAD REMOVED.... Not going to be official update!!!
3) Drop it on your EXTERNAL SD card
4) Boot into factory recovery (not safestrap, not bootstrap. FACTORY) - All the buttons at once on the side - select recovery - both vol keys to get past the exclamation
5) Select the file you just dumped on your card.
6) Wait til install finishes
If you found this post useful, please don't forget the like button over here ------------------------------------------------------------------------>
Edited by arcanexvi, 09 February 2012 - 09:08 AM.
Unpinning - Adding Upgrade Path return instructions