848 replies to this topic

#221 jimd1050

jimd1050

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

I was getting the same screen as airborne82 and followed your instructions. Wiped phone, re-loaded OTA and started over - now I get this:

Wow... these things are FM sometimes, for sure! I plugged it in at work today and gave it one more shot while doing some paperwork. Re-checked everything (but didn't change anything) and ran RAZR_Blade one more time. It worked ??? Posted Image
Regards, Jim D

#222 Roshane

Roshane

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

I can't get my phone to connect in MTP mode, motocast gives the "having trouble connecting?" screen. Is this an issue for me, or will the exploit still work? I have no trouble connecting in mass storage mode, so I know it isn't a cable issue, etc.

#223 germangirl251

germangirl251

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

I've been running into an error when trying to root my droid razr. I had it rooted on ics and got jb through the ota software push. I have followed the steps in the exploit as best I can. USB debugging mode is on. I did have smart actions frozen previously but I did re-enable it and set the battery saver as instructed. I have tried the exploit on both media and camera modes. I don't have anything else running on the computer.

I have not tried to master reset because I need root to backup sensitive information before I can try wiping the phone. I did try a suggestion in this forum to uninstall updates to smart actions to revert the app back to factory. This failed. I listed pasted the exploit results below.

[*]
[*] Razr Blade: Motorola Droid Razr 4.1 Root Exploit (Windows version)
[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
[*]
[*] Thanks to p3droid for assistance in testing.
[*]
[*] Note: this will not work on Razr HD, Razr M, etc.
[*]
[*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you
[*] have the latest Motorola drivers installed, and that your phone
[*] is connected via USB.
[*]
[*] Please carefully follow any instructions provided in the exploit.
[*]
[*] Press enter to root your phone...
Press any key to continue . . .
[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
[*] Device found.
[*] Phase one...
link failed No such file or directory
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.
[*] Phase two...
/system/bin/sh: cat: /data/data/com.motorola.contextual.fw/files/DataClearJarDex
.jar: No such file or directory
[*] Complete the following steps on your device:
[*] 1. Open the Smart Actions application.
[*] 2. Select "Get Started".
[*] 3. Select "Battery Saver".
[*] 4. Select "Save".
[*] 5. Press the Home button.
[*]
[*] Press enter here once you have completed the above steps.
848 KB/s (3477 bytes in 0.004s)
/system/bin/sh: can't create /data/data/com.motorola.contextual.fw/files/DataCle
arJarDex.jar: No such file or directory
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exists
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase four...
5758 KB/s (91992 bytes in 0.015s)
3247 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.561s)
3267 KB/s (574184 bytes in 0.171s)
3996 KB/s (63838 bytes in 0.015s)
[*] Cleaning up...
failed on '/data/logger.bak' - No such file or directory
/system/bin/sh: can't create /data/data/com.motorola.contextual.fw/files/DataCle
arJarDex.jar: No such file or directory
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Exploit complete!
[*] Press any key to exit.

I was so excited to see that Dan had found a root method for the razr so I'm hoping this method will work for me in the end. If anyone has any tips or advice I would greatly appreciate it.

#224 jimd1050

jimd1050

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

I've been running into an error when trying to root my droid razr. I had it rooted on ics and got jb through the ota software push. I have followed the steps in the exploit as best I can. USB debugging mode is on. I did have smart actions frozen previously but I did re-enable it and set the battery saver as instructed. I have tried the exploit on both media and camera modes. I don't have anything else running on the computer.

I have not tried to master reset because I need root to backup sensitive information before I can try wiping the phone. I did try a suggestion in this forum to uninstall updates to smart actions to revert the app back to factory. This failed. I listed pasted the exploit results below.

[*]
[*] Razr Blade: Motorola Droid Razr 4.1 Root Exploit (Windows version)

I was so excited to see that Dan had found a root method for the razr so I'm hoping this method will work for me in the end. If anyone has any tips or advice I would greatly appreciate it.

I went through all the same stuff and it didn't work until I did Factory Rest, Wiped and reloaded the OTA... now I'm rooted. Your right too... I spent about 2 hours reloading whatever I couldn't back up... like a year and a half of calendar entries. It sucks but it worked... my wife said "and why do you need this 'root' thing?" I couldn't really give her an answer that she understood. Of course, she still has a Flip-phone!!! ;) She might be smarter than all of us... GOOD LUCK!
  • Memnoch73 and joeshell20 like this
Regards, Jim D

#225 jw0914

jw0914

All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 [XT1103]

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

I went through all the same stuff and it didn't work until I did Factory Rest, Wiped and reloaded the OTA... now I'm rooted. Your right too... I spent about 2 hours reloading whatever I couldn't back up... like a year and a half of calendar entries. It sucks but it worked... my wife said "and why do you need this 'root' thing?" I couldn't really give her an answer that she understood. Of course, she still has a Flip-phone!!! ;) She might be smarter than all of us... GOOD LUCK!

Google has a desktop program called calendar sync, which syncs with Outlook and your Google calendars. Since you can add as many calendars as want with outlook, when calendar sync syncs, it syncs every one of them to your Google calendar

Sent from my RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk HD

#226 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

This is good info. I have seen others having issues that were fixed with a factory reset prior to rooting

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#227 sjtsnix

sjtsnix

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:stephenjnix@gmail.com
  • Google+:stephenjnix@gmail.com

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Your exactly right there. Gave you credit in another thread as we both had the same idea. Great job!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

This was the route I went, and am now rooted without haveing to factory reset the Phone.

#228 Redalert

Redalert

Half Man, Half Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):Note 3 / Razr Maxx / Droid2 / LG Ally / Moto Q / Nexus 10

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

This is good info. I have seen others having issues that were fixed with a factory reset prior to rooting

My bad grabbed the wrong quote. For jimd1030

Lmao. My wife said the same thing when I was doing it. I had no problems what so ever and it went fast. But she's like what are you doing. I'm rooting my phone. What's root? I said you wouldn't understand. She said I'm not stupid. I said let me be and go buy something on macys .com . Silenced occurred, I'm rooted and 150. Dollars broke. She won.

On a side note Dan as soon as a I cover the 150. I'll be sending a Donation.. I haven't forgot..

Should have told her to go to bed, but then no nooky would have been present..

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2
  • joeshell20 likes this
Posted Image

#229 MoistureSplash

MoistureSplash

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Omg... I can not believe how hard some of you are making this. USB cord, along with the ability to read and hit a space bar is all you need to do. Its just like the ICS root, except with the added smart actions step. Just READ the OP!

Anyway, thanks for giving us our rooted Razor's back Dan!!!!!! I

#230 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Omg... I can not believe how hard some of you are making this. USB cord, along with the ability to read and hit a space bar is all you need to do. Its just like the ICS root, except with the added smart actions step. Just READ the OP!

Most whom are having issues aren't reading the instructions. This isn't new of course, and thankfully members who don't read have more patient people than I to help them because it irritates me to the core when people are given instructions, don't follow them, then say it doesn't work or they can't get it to work. I commend members and devs who have the patience, because that's a virtue I don't possess.

#231 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Most whom are having issues aren't reading the instructions. This isn't new of course, and thankfully members who don't read have more patient people than I to help them because it irritates me to the core when people are given instructions, don't follow them, then say it doesn't work or they can't get it to work. I commend members and devs who have the patience, because that's a virtue I don't possess.

Okay guys let's take it down a notch. Everyone has different levels of knowledge on this stuff. We were all noobs once. That's why they come here... for help. We are here to help and build them up to the next level.
  • Thach, tmyinc, MoistureSplash and 1 other like this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#232 MoistureSplash

MoistureSplash

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

This is true I was a noob once as well, but I also knew how to read and use common sense, Which im sure no one is a noob at. I'm not trying to bash anyone's intelligence, its just hard to grasp how little effort people put in to using either. This isn't just a forum problem, but a societal problem as well. But for the sake of keeping this thread on topic this is my last reply about this.
  • tucstwo likes this

#233 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

+1

#234 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Okay guys let's take it down a notch. Everyone has different levels of knowledge on this stuff. We were all noobs once. That's why they come here... for help. We are here to help and build them up to the next level.

You're absolutely right, but I don't think (at least I wasn't) that's who was being referenced.

Everyone who's been a member of the site knows what was written above is a fact. Its not about being new to something and not having much knowledge about the subject. Its about consciously making a choice to believe you know more than the people whom designed whatever you're using and not read/follow the directions, then when you screw something up, you expect someone to help you over a conscious choice you knew was wrong and knew would more likely than not end up in failure. Most Devs I've spoken to talk about it, and the point that needs to be made is people need to read and follow the directions given. But to simply ignore the problem because its not politically correct is ignorant in and of itself.

I never advocated not helping someone, as I said before I commend those that have the patience in this specific area to which I do not. But simply helping those that obviously didn't read or follow the directions without mentioning that reading and following the directions in the OP are vitally important is a disservice to all, amateurs and experts alike. It makes it okay for people to forego reading because they know there's no consequence for not doing something correctly, thereby wasting both their time and the members whom have to help them. Its about respect for others. Yes, we all make mistakes. Yes, I've made tons of them with my phone and have misread things... we all make mistakes and learn from them. But this isn't what continues to happen... people consciously make the choice to simply not read, and even worse not follow, the directions given.

Simply saying take it down a notch because what's being said isn't politically correct and is addressing a real issue doesn't help solve this massive problem. It excuses the behavior of those that do it, thus reinforcing their behavior. Take Matt's utility for instance... more than 50% of posts are dedicated to people not reading the OP, not reading the directions, and not following the directions.

#235 MoistureSplash

MoistureSplash

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Your absolutely right, but I don't think (at least I wasn't) that's who was being referenced.

Everyone who's been a member of the site knows what was written above is a fact. Its not about being new to something and not having much knowledge about the subject. Its about consciously making a choice to believe you know more than the people whom designed whatever your using and not read/follow the directions, then when you screw something up, you expect someone to help you over a conscious choice you knew was wrong and knew would more likely than not end up in failure. Most Devs I've spoken to talk about, and the point that needs to be made is people need to read and follow the directions given. But to simply ignore the problem because its not politically correct is ignorant in and of itself.

I never advocated not helping someone, as I said before I commend those that have the patience in this specific area to which I do not. But simply helping those that obviously didn't read or follow the directions without mentioning that reading and following the directions in the OP are vitally important is a disservice to all, amateurs and experts alike. It makes it okay for people to forego reading because they know there's no consequence for not doing something correctly, thereby saving both their time and the members whom have to help them. Its about respect for others. Yes, we all make mistakes. Yes, I've made tons of them with my phone and have misread things... we all make mistakes and learn from them. But this isn't what continues to happen... people consciously make the choice to simply not read, and even worse not follow, the directions given.

Simply saying take it down a notch because what's being said isn't politically correct and is addressing a real issue doesn't help solve this massive problem. It excuses the behavior of those that do it, thus reinforcing their behavior. Take Matt's utility for instance... more than 50% of posts are dedicated to people not reading the OP, not reading the directions, and not following the directions.

+1000000

#236 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,368 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Few people understand the concept more than I do, but, you're not going to solve it here in this thread. :) Let's return to the topic at hand.
  • Thach and tmyinc like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#237 sk842018

sk842018

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Current Device(s):droid incredible 2/ droid RAZRxt912

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

^^^^^^ Absolutely Right!!!^^^^^^
  • Thach likes this

#238 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

At the end of the day there are ALWAYS going to be people that don't read, follow directions or use common sense. You can tell them to read but you will never change their personality and they will do it again and again. And for every 1 person that actually does go back and read there are 5 more that won't.

My point is this site exists not only for us as android enthusiasts to find cool stuff to do with our phone but ALSO to HELP those others and yes that includes those you are talking about.

And yes I do care about what's being said not being PC because it is easy for us that spend a ton of time here to take for granted what we do as it is 2nd nature, but there are many that come here that don't follow all the lastest and greatest info and may need our help. I don't want ANY of them to shy away because people they read non-PC comments that they may take as us "elite know it alls calling them stupid" I'm not say we are doing that I'm just saying it may be perceived that way.
  • Thach likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#239 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

At the end of the day there are ALWAYS going to be people that don't read, follow directions or use common sense. You can tell them to read but you will never change their personality and they will do it again and again. And for every 1 person that actually does go back and read there are 5 more that won't.

My point is this site exists not only for us as android enthusiasts to find cool stuff to do with our phone but ALSO to HELP those others and yes that includes those you are talking about.

And yes I do care about what's being said not being PC because it is easy for us that spend a ton of time here to take for granted what we do as it is 2nd nature, but there are many that come here that don't follow all the lastest and greatest info and may need our help. I don't want ANY of them to shy away because people they read non-PC comments that they may take as us "elite know it alls calling them stupid" I'm not say we are doing that I'm just saying it may be perceived that way.

Being clear with what you write avoids misperceptions. I was very clear in my post about whom it was directed at, and stated whom it wasn't twice. If someone does read it and takes it as "elite know it alls calling them stupid", then they're probably the individuals it references since it was stated twice it didn't refer to beginners, amateurs, noobs, what have you. The more members that mention to users they help the importance of reading and following the directions in the OP and why, the less this will occur. It appears that hardly anyone is willing to do this because it's not politically correct. It can be worded in very respectful, polite, non-offending ways.

You don't have to personalize it to them, it can be said in a generalized sense, but refusing to address it doesn't help anyone, and hurts everyone.

#240 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Few people understand the concept more than I do, but, you're not going to solve it here in this thread. :) Let's return to the topic at hand.

I agree... let's get back on topic
  • satman80, rickw, johnthehillbilly and 1 other like this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users