848 replies to this topic

#161 killa_beatz

killa_beatz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

I need some serious help... I've run the explaoit several times and no luck. I've cleared the date each time from the SmartActions app so it's like fresh and no luck. The error I keep getting is "failed on data/logger. bak - no such file or directory" and i get "unable to chmod/ data / logger. SO that would be phase 3. Any help as to what I should do? I'm currently on the JB leak.

#162 kprice8

kprice8

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

do you have Motorola Device Manager?

Did you uninstall the smartactions updates and select battery saver and save it?

#163 killa_beatz

killa_beatz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Did you uninstall the smartactions updates and select battery saver and save it?

I definitely uninstalled the smartactions update and did the whole battery saver thing. I need to check on the motorola device manager. I know I have all of the updated drivers loaded.

#164 kprice8

kprice8

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Those were my two main issues to achieve root...

#165 killa_beatz

killa_beatz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

I even tried to do a factory reset but every time I get to the dead looking android guy none of the options appear when I select both the volume up and down keys...

#166 belatukadro

belatukadro

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:belatukadro

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Mr. Rosenberg, please allow me add my most humble appreciation for the incredible work that you do. Your dedication to the Android community is truly inspiring. Thank you again, and I wish you the best of luck in all that you do.
  • my2cents likes this

#167 lutheranpriest

lutheranpriest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

I even tried to do a factory reset but every time I get to the dead looking android guy none of the options appear when I select both the volume up and down keys...

You can also do a factory reset by going to Settings, Privacy, and selecting "Factory Data Reset."

Also, when you're in recovery, sometimes you have to press both buttons several times. I've had trouble with this in the past as well, and don't know why, since it should work perfectly every time. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

One more side note, I don't know if this bypasses the initial screen when trying to get into recovery, but you can reboot into recovery through ADB by typing the command "adb reboot recovery'
  • kdemsky likes this

#168 montanaman

montanaman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationWashington
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

First I love that fact that there are people smarter than my dumbass to do this or it would be one boring world! Second, I was one of those people that got the actual JB update and got it installed before they pulled it. Does this root still work with that pre OTA release or do I need to flash the pre leak? Third if it does work with the OTA, I seem to be having issues when I try to connect my phone to the computer when it is in MTP mode. Do I need to update Window Media Player? Four, Phase 1 and 2 go smooth, then in Phase 3 I get the Failed for /data/logger adn then at the end I get an
Error type 2
android.util.androidexception: Can't connect to the activity manager; is the system running?
at com.android.commands.am.Am.run(Am.java:100)
at com.android.commands.am.Am.main(Am.java:81)
at.com.android.internal.os.RUntimeInit.nativeFinishingInit(Native Method)
at.com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.main(RuntimeInit.java:235)
at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

What the hell does that mean?

Thanks for all your help. I am sure I am being a dumbass, so if you would like to point out where my rear end is being dumb I would really appreciate it!

#169 mrmoto55

mrmoto55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Does this work with the new jellybean ota?

#170 killa_beatz

killa_beatz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

You can also do a factory reset by going to Settings, Privacy, and selecting "Factory Data Reset."

Also, when you're in recovery, sometimes you have to press both buttons several times. I've had trouble with this in the past as well, and don't know why, since it should work perfectly every time. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

One more side note, I don't know if this bypasses the initial screen when trying to get into recovery, but you can reboot into recovery through ADB by typing the command "adb reboot recovery'

Thanks for the assistance! I finally got root. I had to do a total factory reset with a total wipe of everything.. Looks like the rest of the day will be spent getting this puppy back to where I had it. Thanks

#171 toolman

toolman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Mr. Rosenberg,

Thank you
Thank you

Since I install Jelly Bean and lost root, I felt vulnerable.

Thank you again for the great work.

#172 polkadotninja

polkadotninja

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hmm, nobody else seems to be having this problem, but my phone doesn't seem to be allowing ADB to do simple stuff like create links in /data/dontpanic:

[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
[*] Device found.
[*] Phase one...
link failed Permission denied
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.

I can't create any files in /data/dontpanic using ADB using cp, ln, or anything else. Did a factory reset, un-upgraded SmartActions, developer mode is on. Any ideas?

Oh, derr, possible bonehead move: is this compatible with the XT926 or just XT912?

#173 perfoliate

perfoliate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Hmm, nobody else seems to be having this problem, but my phone doesn't seem to be allowing ADB to do simple stuff like create links in /data/dontpanic:

[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
[*] Device found.
[*] Phase one...
link failed Permission denied
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.

I can't create any files in /data/dontpanic using ADB using cp, ln, or anything else. Did a factory reset, un-upgraded SmartActions, developer mode is on. Any ideas?

Oh, derr, possible bonehead move: is this compatible with the XT926 or just XT912?

This is for xt912

Sent from my Motorola Galaxy s3 using Tapatalk 2

#174 polkadotninja

polkadotninja

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Doh, thanks perfoliate :(

#175 KnikGIS

KnikGIS

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the assistance! I finally got root. I had to do a total factory reset with a total wipe of everything.. Looks like the rest of the day will be spent getting this puppy back to where I had it. Thanks

Looks like I had the same issue. I tried all day and did several factory resets and thought I had wiped my data several times but the last time I went into Settings>Privacy>Factory data reset >Erase internal storage and eventually cleaned out my sdcard. The update finally ran with no errors and I got root. So, for those who are still trying, there is hope.

#176 montanaman

montanaman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationWashington
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

I did the factory reset and then had to the root twice but then it worked. Thanks! Donation coming... just need to wait until payday!

#177 foxkat

foxkat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Google+:phil.katulka@gmail.com
  • Current Device(s):Droid MAXX, Acer Iconia Tab 10.1, HTC EVO 3D, Droid 2 Global, OG Droid

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Dan, thanks for all your hard work! I'm new on this forum (spent a lot of time at XDA until I got a Razr), but I'm not a complete n00b at this stuff, yet I must be doing something wrong. The exploit executes, but fails at a few points, and since the exploit has worked for others, I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong, or there's an issue with the phone. While executing the script, it seems to fail on pushing pwn.jar, as it indicates that 0 bytes were copied. The full output is below. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Just some information for those who think their root process didn't actually work.

I did the exploit and several things went differently than expected, and yet...I now have root. Her's what happened to mine.
  • First the description above, all the way to the last "Cleaning up..." went exactly the same way.
  • It also didn't display the fail during the middle (as it did for lutheranpriest);
    • failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
    • mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
    • Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
    • link failed File exists
  • Each write was 0 bytes as above, so I assumed it simply wasn't writing the data.
  • Next, when it got to the Smart Actions part, I already had the "Battery Saver" Smart Action running, so it never gave me the opportunity to;
    • 2. Select "Get Started".
    • 3. Select "Battery Saver".
    • 4. Select "Save".
  • So I simply opened the "Battery Saver" Smart Action, and then backed out.
  • Since it was already saved, there wasn't an option to select "Save".
  • Once done, I hit the Home button.
  • Then I pressed Enter on the keyboard as instructed and it continued as above.
  • Once it got to the "Cleaning up...", it sat there and appeared to be stalled on the screen.
I assumed (again), that this had failed and I began reading through the thread to find an answer. While searching and reading through the thread, the phone (which was still connected to the computer via the USB cable), kept flashing the screen on for a few seconds and then would go black again. I didn't really pay much attention but finally I decided to see why the phone was "waking" every 10 seconds or so... I hit the Power button and to my surprise was SuperSU asking if I would give ADB shell Root Access! I Granted Root Access to ADB shell and it was happy.

So next, I went to the Play Store and downloaded Root Checker, ran it, and sure enough it asked for Root Access and once Granted it said "Congratulations! This device has root access!"

I only ran this exploit ONCE, so I am confident that there is no mistaking the 0 bytes results as shown above. Believe me, I am very pleased that I now have root back as I have a tablet and it's WIFI only. I really was looking forward to using the tablet in the field and giving my son the ability to use it in the car, both while connected to the web. Now I can. SO first, THANK YOU DAN!! I'll be sending you a proper thank you as well, it's not much but it's all I can afford (it won't be $90 like someone else here, LOL!!)

I only hope that what I've disclosed will help to isolate the reasons this seems to act strangely for some. Also, DAN, if you want some sort of log or anything off the phone that can help you, please PM me. If anyone can explain why even though it reported 0 bytes for each write, it still apparently did write them successfully or otherwise I'd not have achieved root.

Finally, to anyone who tried this and it seems to fail as I've described above, WAIT!!! If the phone starts the wake, sleep, wake, sleep, pick up the phone and hit Power. You may find as I did that it's waiting for you to give ADB shell Root Access. Simply hit Grant and away she goes!

Good luck everyone!
Posted Image

#178 blthun81

blthun81

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You are the man!!!

#179 mckia12

mckia12

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • Current Device(s):Razr MAXX

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Been a while since I rooted anything (Droid X) and have not rooted my Razr MAXX... so...

1 - Can I do this even though I was NOT rooted prior to getting the JB OTA?
2 - If yes, where do I extract the zip file to? My desktop? My phone?
3 - SInce not previously rooted (and hoping I can use this), are there any apps I need to install on my phone before doing this?

Thanks so much!!

Michael

#180 mckia12

mckia12

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • Current Device(s):Razr MAXX

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Been a while since I rooted anything (Droid X) and have not rooted my Razr MAXX... so...

1 - Can I do this even though I was NOT rooted prior to getting the JB OTA?
2 - If yes, where do I extract the zip file to? My desktop? My phone?
3 - SInce not previously rooted (and hoping I can use this), are there any apps I need to install on my phone before doing this?

Thanks so much!!

Michael

I'm impatient - LOL. Gave it a go without answers to my questions and soooooo EASY!!! SUCCESS!!!!

THANKS DAN!! Mula on the way!

Michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users