Photo

How To Maintain Root Through Any Upgrade (Ie Forever Root, Motorola Devices Only)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

Doing the following will allow your device to maintain root through any upgrade (unless motorola changes things). I had no part in this and credit is posted below. Just feel it is something that needs to be posted and all RAZR owners should do before moving forward with any type of modifications to there device. That said lets move on

I use root explorer, but you can also use adb pull and push.

RootExplorer Method

go to /system/bin/
open in text editor - mount_ext3.sh
add the following lines to the very bottom

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

ADB method

adb pull /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh
open the file in your favorite text editor

Save file

adb remount
adb push mount_ext3.sh /system/bin
adb shell "chmod 777 /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh"

Done!!!

This method was proposed by Djrbliss, and only slightly altered by P3droid...please thank @DjrBliss on Twitter as well as P3Droid.
  • Bignadad, cvhovey, ytsud and 1 other like this

#2 Odiej34

Odiej34

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Twitter:Odiej34
  • LocationTucson AZ

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:42 PM

I did the root explorer method and was wondering how you can tell if you did it right? After saving it I went back in to check it out and what I input is now gone? If you wipe will you need to go back in andre input he info?
Thanks!

#3 Odiej34

Odiej34

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Twitter:Odiej34
  • LocationTucson AZ

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

I did the root explorer method and was wondering how you can tell if you did it right? After saving it I went back in to check it out and what I input is now gone? If you wipe will you need to go back in andre input he info?
Thanks!

My bad clicked on the mount ext3.sh.bak below it. Still there. :-)

#4 augie757

augie757

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Twitter:@augie757
  • Google+:chris augustine
  • LocationHoth

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Thank you for this, awesome post!

#5 droidRguy

droidRguy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:33 AM

+1

#6 jcutter347

jcutter347

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Twitter:@jcutter347
  • LocationSnook Alley, Florida

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

Doing the following will allow your device to maintain root through any upgrade (unless motorola changes things). I had no part in this and credit is posted below. Just feel it is something that needs to be posted and all RAZR owners should do before moving forward with any type of modifications to there device. That said lets move on

I use root explorer, but you can also use adb pull and push.

RootExplorer Method

go to /system/bin/
open in text editor - mount_ext3.sh

ADB method

adb pull /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh
open the file in your favorite text editor

Save file

adb remount
adb push mount_ext3.sh /system/bin
adb shell "chmod 777 /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh"

Done!!!

This method was proposed by Djrbliss, and only slightly altered by P3droid...please thank @DjrBliss on Twitter as well as P3Droid.

After I save this am I supposed to push it? I used the root explorer method. I don't see a mount ext.3.sh.bak below it or anywhere else in my files. When I saved it, it said the backup was saved to this file though.

#7 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

After I save this am I supposed to push it? I used the root explorer method. I don't see a mount ext.3.sh.bak below it or anywhere else in my files. When I saved it, it said the backup was saved to this file though.

If you used RootExplorer to make the edits you should NOT have to push anything. As for the *.bak file it should have made not sure and I don't have my Razr wiht me today atm. Using my Nexus and have the Bionic with me but can check when I get home. 2 thigns tho, one did you make the folder RW in rooexplorer before editing the file. Second thign is after making the edit just reboot the device and then go back in and check the file to make sure the lines are saved at the bottom like you just added. If so I really would not worry about the backup file

#8 jcutter347

jcutter347

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

If you used RootExplorer to make the edits you should NOT have to push anything. As for the *.bak file it should have made not sure and I don't have my Razr wiht me today atm. Using my Nexus and have the Bionic with me but can check when I get home. 2 thigns tho, one did you make the folder RW in rooexplorer before editing the file. Second thign is after making the edit just reboot the device and then go back in and check the file to make sure the lines are saved at the bottom like you just added. If so I really would not worry about the backup file

I did not make the file rw. Well go back and follow your instructions. Thank you fire your help

#9 jcutter347

jcutter347

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:03 AM

I did not make it RW. It says the permissions can't be changed because because the file is read-only. My /system/bin is R/W though
Edit: Got it to work. Late night tinkering = not 100% paying attention! Thank you for your help

#10 stevessvt

stevessvt

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

So what happens if I need to unroot for what ever reason? I've used ginger unroot previously to unroot, would it still work? And would using doomlords root work again?

#11 MrFrankRazr

MrFrankRazr

Dedicated Supporter

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Twitter:@MrFrankReyna
  • Google+:frankreyna
  • LocationSoCal, USA
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 on VZW

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for the how-to on this. I used the Root Explorer method no prob.

Moved on to the LG G2 on VZW and lovin it!

#12 chefed24

chefed24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Twitter:@EdSadler
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

Noob question but trying to d othis before the razr update that's coming. 1) I am not sure when using root explorer how to make rw and second when adding the lines at thbottom is there spacing or is everything all together

#13 jtelander

jtelander

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

1) I am not sure when using root explorer how to make rw

Select mount r/w

2second when adding the lines at thbottom is there spacing or is everything all together

There are spaces where there appears to be spaces

#14 augie757

augie757

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Twitter:@augie757
  • Google+:chris augustine
  • LocationHoth

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

anyone try the vzw update that just came out ? after applying this method? and are you still rooted?

#15 jtelander

jtelander

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

anyone try the vzw update that just came out ? after applying this method? and are you still rooted?

I was hoping you would tell us how it worked for you!

#16 chefed24

chefed24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Twitter:@EdSadler
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

perfect, got it thanks for putting up with a noob.

#17 jtelander

jtelander

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

perfect, got it thanks for putting up with a noob.

Lots more discussion of this method

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#18 GetchaMobile

GetchaMobile

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Twitter:@GetchaMobile
  • Google+:GetchaMobile@gmail.com

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

I updated and used the Forever Root. I lost root. It may have been operator error, but I did the directions as stated. Luckily I reapplied root without issues.

#19 SmokeNMirrors

SmokeNMirrors

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:SmokeNMirrors
  • LocationMaryland, USA
  • Current Device(s):RAZR MAXX HD Unlocked BL

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

Yeah, same here- this did not preserve root but re-rooting ran fine. It appeared su was still in place with correct permissions but didn't function correctly. I believe the ownership also changed so we need a chown in addition to the chmod but I didn't have time to play with it.

#20 PillClinton

PillClinton

#FireGaryBettman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter:530SharksFan
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

I updated and used the Forever Root. I lost root. It may have been operator error, but I did the directions as stated. Luckily I reapplied root without issues.

Yeah, same here- this did not preserve root but re-rooting ran fine. It appeared su was still in place with correct permissions but didn't function correctly. I believe the ownership also changed so we need a chown in addition to the chmod but I didn't have time to play with it.

What did you guys use to reroot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users