To party.

#123 trebills

trebills

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

For what lol

For camera to be working. I got a major jones. This ROM is wayyyy smoother than Moto's version of JB
VPYxJ21.png

#124 Hashcode

Hashcode

King-Of-Code

• Developer
  • 227 posts
  • Twitter:Hashcode0f

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

POPULAR

Hello!

Small update: As 1 or 2 of you noticed when syncing down the sources used to build this ROM, CM has made some adjustments in their QCOM support. And that effectively breaks the build for the HD.

I spent a day analysing some potential bandaids to get the build up and running again, and then looked at the kernel and what it would take to get the device into a prime position to support AOSP in the best possible manner (not just for Android 4.2 but going forward).

My thoughts were:
To keep applying bandaids and avoid the larger issues with the camera and graphics driver compatibility issues, would end up taking a lot of time to support and the device would never really feel "right" due to lack of features.

So yesterday I began work on a NEW kernel straight from QCOM, essentially same "starting" kernel that the Nexus 4 developers based their work on.

They used a branch from the msm kernel: jb_2.5 And you can find these sources here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

What does all of this mean?

I'm taking the device back down to the metal and rebuilding it using updated (Jellybean 4.2 compatible) drivers. In many cases there will still be Motorola files in play here (radio, and some proprietary camera files), but in many other cases, I can drop stock files in favor of QCOM supported drivers which will be easier to keep updated as time goes on (read: Android 5.0)

Why go through the trouble?

It's all about the best way to actually run Android on the device. When you're trying to make something like the camera work and it's dependant on a driver in the kernel running a certain way for the OS, then the obvious answer is change the kernel. By doing so you create a very "compatible" Android environment which is easy to build straight out of the box in CM and other ROM flavors.

And that's the end goal: End up with a well supported, easy to dev device, which doesn't require many Motorola binaries to stay up-to-date.

Does it boot yet? How is progress?

I literally just got started. The kernel doesn't boot at all yet and I'll need a few days of work before I can even try some early boot tests.

So what now?

I'll check in with more progress later, but the next steps are:

1. Finish integrating all of the device drivers into the new kernel. Some come straight from the old 3.0 kernel, some need to be re-worked against the newer kernel sources and some will be pulled from other kernels (or used as an example).
2. Port forward any Motorola specific changes to the kernel. For instance there are many modifications to the USB driver to handle Motorola specific functions like docks and other features. Same goes w/ the charger driver, HDMI and video drivers. All of these customizations may need to be adjusted as they get added to the new kernel.
3. Then I run many many boot tests. Each one usually ending in a big crash log which are scanned through looking for bugs to fix.

Usually after a hundred or so boots in step #3, Android can finally be loaded and then the larger part of debugging can begin.

So it will be a bit before there is a "new" CM build, but the hope is that it's something which can be merged into their official device list and supported for quite a while to come.

Thanks for being patient :)
  • arcanexvi, trikotret, neckchop and 25 others like this

#125 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

Hello!

Small update: As 1 or 2 of you noticed when syncing down the sources used to build this ROM, CM has made some adjustments in their QCOM support. And that effectively breaks the build for the HD.

I spent a day analysing some potential bandaids to get the build up and running again, and then looked at the kernel and what it would take to get the device into a prime position to support AOSP in the best possible manner (not just for Android 4.2 but going forward).

My thoughts were:
To keep applying bandaids and avoid the larger issues with the camera and graphics driver compatibility issues, would end up taking a lot of time to support and the device would never really feel "right" due to lack of features.

So yesterday I began work on a NEW kernel straight from QCOM, essentially same "starting" kernel that the Nexus 4 developers based their work on.

They used a branch from the msm kernel: jb_2.5 And you can find these sources here:

I'm taking the device back down to the metal and rebuilding it using updated (Jellybean 4.2 compatible) drivers. In many cases there will still be Motorola files in play here (radio, and some proprietary camera files), but in many other cases, I can drop stock files in favor of QCOM supported drivers which will be easier to keep updated as time goes on (read: Android 5.0)

It's all about the best way to actually run Android on the device. When you're trying to make something like the camera work and it's dependant on a driver in the kernel running a certain way for the OS, then the obvious answer is change the kernel. By doing so you create a very "compatible" Android environment which is easy to build straight out of the box in CM and other ROM flavors.

And that's the end goal: End up with a well supported, easy to dev device, which doesn't require many Motorola binaries to stay up-to-date.

I literally just got started. The kernel doesn't boot at all yet and I'll need a few days of work before I can even try some early boot tests.

So what now?

1. Finish integrating all of the device drivers into the new kernel. Some come straight from the old 3.0 kernel, some need to be re-worked against the newer kernel sources and some will be pulled from other kernels (or used as an example).
2. Port forward any Motorola specific changes to the kernel. For instance there are many modifications to the USB driver to handle Motorola specific functions like docks and other features. Same goes w/ the charger driver, HDMI and video drivers. All of these customizations may need to be adjusted as they get added to the new kernel.
3. Then I run many many boot tests. Each one usually ending in a big crash log which are scanned through looking for bugs to fix.

Usually after a hundred or so boots in step #3, Android can finally be loaded and then the larger part of debugging can begin.

So it will be a bit before there is a "new" CM build, but the hope is that it's something which can be merged into their official device list and supported for quite a while to come.

Awesome to see you returning to our favorite device ;-) thank you for the update. You flying solo on this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#126 Darbness

Darbness

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • Current Device(s):XT295 RAZR HD

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for all your hard work.

I was just wondering if the kernel would be compatible with xt925

#127 koftheworld

koftheworld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:koftheworld

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:21 AM

Hello!

My thoughts were:

So what now?

Thank you for the thoroughness of the explanation and your hard work. Don't hesitate to ask for community support for anything.

• TjNaps27 likes this

#128 jld

jld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razr HD MAXX

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

That is great news. We appreciate all the hard work for sure!

#129 Guest_Megaroad_*

Guest_Megaroad_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

Very exciting! Thank you for doing this.

#130 deeje

deeje

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Current Device(s):ATRIX MAXX HD

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

Sweet thank you for all your hard-work man. Do you know if it'll be compatible with the atrix hd after all is said and done?

#131 jasonjw12

jasonjw12

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Twitter:@jasonjw12
  • Google+:jasonjw12

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

Has anyone had a problem getting the Google music app to display the music you have in your account?

I've tried clearing the cache/data of the app and logging back in but it still shows nothing.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

#132 skinien

skinien

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Hello!

Thanks for the update, man! I appreciate the fact that you're choosing to do things the "right" way.

#133 Hashcode

Hashcode

King-Of-Code

• Developer
  • 227 posts
  • Twitter:Hashcode0f

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for all your hard work.

I was just wondering if the kernel would be compatible with xt925

Yes, in theory, the new kernel should work with all the new qcom devices:
RAZR-HD (925/926)
RAZR-M
Atrix-HD
Photon
etc

• Darbness likes this

#134 dmartelle54

dmartelle54

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Device(s):RAZR MAXX HD

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

You are a gentleman and a scholar!

• desireaftergod and TjNaps27 like this

#135 desireaftergod

desireaftergod

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationNH
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid Maxx

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

You are a gentleman and a scholar!
+1

Posted Image

#136 animez

animez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

Great to hear you've decided to take the approach you are Hashcode. I would much rather wait a bit longer (even much longer) for a great kernel.

I can't wait to be running a stable fully functioning CM 10.1, this phone will be amazing then.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

#137 themrgoats

themrgoats

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

Thanks so much man. This is extremely exciting news.

#138 eogans09

eogans09

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Hello!

I already wanna know where your DONATE button is...

#139 power9999

power9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

Been testing this version does not work but GSM data ie 3G

:(

#140 SquireSCA

SquireSCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

Very interested to see where this leads!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users