Photo

General Guidline For A Basic Understanding On How To Root And Flash (Outline For Informative Speech)

root custom rom flashing custom recovery

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dustincook87

dustincook87

Dedicated Supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

Dustin cook
Time sequence pattern
Topic: how to flash a custom rom
General purpose: To inform how to flash a custom rom
Specific purpose: My audience will be able to navigate the process of flashing a custom rom.
INTRODUCTION
Computer programmers are not the only ones who can modify a phone, anyone can do it! I’m going to explain the steps of how to modify your phone to enable it to do everything its capable of doing. This includes, but is not limited to, faster operation, longer battery life, and unique themes. I have done this process myself 3 times already and have used android phones for two years. Anyone can flash a custom rom on android by following these three directions: 1 decide if rooting is for you, 2 root your phone, 3 flash a custom rom.
I. A stock ROM is the version of the phone's operating system that comes with your phone when you buy it.
A custom ROM is a fully standalone version of the OS, including the kernel (which makes everything run), apps, services, etc - everything you need to operate the device, except it's customized by someone in some way. So what does the "customized" part mean? Since Android is open source, developers are free to take stock ROMs, modify them, strip them of garbage, optimize them, add things, and pretty much do whatever their imagination and skills allow.
Flashing is the process of applying a ROM to a device
II. Decide if rooting is for you.

A. Getting root or rooting your phone is the process of modifying the operating system that shipped with your device to grant you complete control over it.

B. Before rooting, you should understand the two main risks. For starters, rooting can void your phone’s factory and/or service provider warranty in many cases. However, most rooting applications and methods can be easily reverted. Additionally, if the rooting process doesn’t complete correctly it could damage the software. This would require a factory recover, causing all data on the phone (contacts, apps, media) to be lost, or it may even render your device useless, to the point where it can’t be saved unless examined by a technician. However, if you follow the instructions for the rooting method you use carefully, you shouldn’t have a problem.

III. Root your phone.

A. Visual aid: android icon with roots coming out

B. To Root your phone you will have to download an application from the internet. You may also need the manufacturer’s drivers for your device. A driver is a small piece of software that tells the

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

and other software how to communicate with a piece of

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

. The procedure for rooting an Android device varies from device to device as such there are many different device specific guides. Because the procedure varies, google “rooting a *blank* (phone model). This can result in a video, website or forum that will guide you through the steps you need to take.

I. Flash a custom rom

A. The procedures may vary from each device and rom so once again google something similar to “roms for *blank*” (model of phone).

1. Generally the steps will be similar to my explanation (but not always!)

B. Install a custom recovery

1. This creates a small separate operating mode you can boot your device into. It’s a special environment used into for troubleshooting and upgrading purposes.

C. Find a rom you want to try and download the file.

1. Copy the file to the phone.

2. Erase necessary data from phone.

3. Open the rom file and flash.

Conclusion:
Flashing a custom rom is very beneficial to an android user. It can be an easy and enjoyable experience if you carefully follow all instructions you are given. All android users have consciously or subconsciously already decided if they want to flash a custom rom. It’s as simple as rooting and then flashing a custom rom through a custom recovery application. “if its not rooted, it aint right.”

I was advised to post this here by mattlgroff. I hope this helps at least one person :). Otherwise i would appreciate any feedback on my rough draft outline, as this is for a college course and i would love to continue my trend of excellent grades :D
  • mattlgroff likes this

#2 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

You pass.
Posted Image

Edited by mattlgroff, 16 February 2012 - 12:26 AM.

• dustincook87 and mlgneo like this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: root, custom rom, flashing, custom recovery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users