#1 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

These are installation and set-up instructions I've decided to throw together to help people download and install ADB and to integrate it into your system path. This is designed to be used with Windows 7 PC. However, Windows Vista/XP are not a whole lot different. The steps are basically the same, but the windows themselves will look different. For all intents and purposes, if you can survive reading through this guide, you could most likely port it through for an older version of Windows.

Why do I want to do this? You will be able to not only have ADB at your disposal but also have it in your system path. So now, no matter where you are in your command line (C:\, C:\Users\Tucs\, C:\Windows\Desktop\, etc) when you type ADB or Fastboot followed by a command, it will work. You do not have to browse your command line to the folder where ADB and Fastboot are stored. If you become more comfortable with ADB and Fastboot you will find that this can save a lot of time.

Now, on to the good stuff!

Step 1: Use your browser and head over to http://developer.android.com/sdk/ and download the Android SDK, save it to your desktop for now.

Posted Image

Step 2: Unzip the package to your desktop and click to run the SDK Manager. From this window check the box for Android SDK Platform-tools. No other boxes need to be checked at this moment. After it's checked click Install

Posted Image

Step 3: Click on Accept All and click Install

Posted Image

Step 4: Open your Windows Explorer, browse to the root of your hard drive (most cases) C:\. Create a folder an call it "Android-SDK". So you will now have C:\Android-Sdk.

Posted Image

Step 5: ​Drag all of the Folders/Files from the SDK folder on your desktop to the newly created Android-SDK folder that's on the root of your hard drive.

Posted Image

Step 6: Right click on Computer (or My Computer for older Windows) and select "Properties".

Posted Image

Step 7: Click on "Advanced system settings"

Posted Image

Step 8: Click on the "Advanced" tab and then click "Environment Variables..."

Posted Image

Step 9: Scroll down to the Variable called "Path" (JUST Path, not PATHEXT or anything else).Then click "Edit..."

Posted Image

Step 10: Go to the very END of the "Variable value" input box. If there is not already, place a semi-colon (;) at the end of the last value. Then type into this box C:\Android-SDK\platform-tools; (make sure you end with a semi-colon and if for any reason your SDK is NOT on the C:\ drive, replace the C with whatever drive letter you created your Android-SDK folder in. Then hit OK, OK, and OK again to complete. You may close the System Properties Window now.

Posted Image

Step 11: The SDK should now be installed and placed into your system path. Now we will test to confirm. Click on the "Start" button or Windows Flag (Windows version dependent). Type in the box at the bottom CMD. Press Enter or click on "cmd" under programs.

Posted Image

Step 12a: A Windows command line window will open. Simply type adb and press enter. You should be given a list of adb commands.

Posted Image

Step 12b: Now type into the prompt fastboot and press enter. You should be given a similar list of commands only this type for the Fastboot tool.

Posted Image

You are done!
  • mattlgroff, etrorteepe, droidian1441 and 14 others like this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#2 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Just a note for all, we have to use the moto-fastboot binary for flashing fastboot files onto the Razr. AOSP fastboot binary doesn't work for us.

Very nice writeup tucs, lots of detail.
  • prozac4me likes this

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#3 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Very little has changed at all. The ONLY thing I could suggest, like it's been mentioned already, is browse to where you stored your SDK's platform-tool. So let's just say "C:\Android\SDK\Platform-tools" then, depending on whether you normally deal with OG Razr/Bionic OR Razr HD/M download the appropriate motorola fastboot binary and overwrite the AOSP one. Matt keeps copies of them

OMAP (OG Razr/Bionic) Fastboot 

or

Snapdragon (Razr HD, M) Fastboot

Make sure you grab the Windows executable from Matts zip as he supplies Windows, OSX and Linux binaries in those zips. (I'm gonna amend this write up soon to include the same process for OSX I think.)

If you're dealing with NON Moto devices, you can stick with the SDK supplied fastboot binary. The reasoning behind this has been mentioned in the thread, the Moto FB binary will nicely split the larger partitions up.

• etrorteepe and JerryWhete like this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#4 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

I've used the fastboot included in the sdk to flash my razr before

I tried to use it to fast boot the .215 kernel it gave me errors? Damaged fastboot binary maybe? Imma look into this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#5 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

I've used the fastboot included in the sdk to flash my razr before

It will fail on webtop for being too large but I think thats it.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#6 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

It will fail on webtop for being too large but I think thats it.

Yeah, I think I've experienced that. But who flashes webtop?

#7 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Just wanted to thank you for this. I thought about typing something up but you did a much better job then I ever would. Major props.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#8 Whipping_Post+1

Whipping_Post+1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA
  • Current Device(s):OG Razr MAXX 16GB

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Thank you very much for starting this topic. I noticed with the advent of 4.1.2 that we now have the option to flash udates through moto recovery using abd. Maybe it was possible before...I don't know, but I think it's great that doing a sideload is supported. I would love to try this with an OTA update. Maybe there will be a small package to drop the OS to 4.2 when and if it comes to the og razr.

#9 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

Thank you very much for starting this topic. I noticed with the advent of 4.1.2 that we now have the option to flash udates through moto recovery using abd. Maybe it was possible before...I don't know, but I think it's great that doing a sideload is supported. I would love to try this with an OTA update. Maybe there will be a small package to drop the OS to 4.2 when and if it comes to the og razr.

The stuff that comes out of OTA packages can not be flashed with Fastboot. OTA's are sets of patches, they are different from FXZ Files that we use to flash in a fastboot command line.

#10 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Yeah, I think I've experienced that. But who flashes webtop?

There used to be webtop mods on GB so I had to include it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#11 sk842018

sk842018

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Current Device(s):droid incredible 2/ droid RAZRxt912

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

thank you worked grerat

#12 heathen2323

heathen2323

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWashington
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razor xt912/ Sprint Samsung GS2 4GT flashed to Boost

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

Dude! That was the easiest tutorial that I've ever read! Kudo's, man. Thanks.

#13 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

thank you worked grerat

Dude! That was the easiest tutorial that I've ever read! Kudo's, man. Thanks.

Thank you
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

#14 dolfns99

dolfns99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Twitter:dolfns99

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:26 AM

I dont have enough post to pm at te moment. But I am having a problem. After I download SDK to desktop I click run on SDK Manager and the only thing that happens is a command window pops up and disappears. I am no sure how to bring up the windows needed to resume your tutorial afer the download to desktop. Im a noob butwilling tolearn. Thank you in advance.

#15 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

I dont have enough post to pm at te moment. But I am having a problem. After I download SDK to desktop I click run on SDK Manager and the only thing that happens is a command window pops up and disappears. I am no sure how to bring up the windows needed to resume your tutorial afer the download to desktop. Im a noob butwilling tolearn. Thank you in advance.

Is it possible that your computer does not have an up to date version of Java on it? I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the SDK Manager requires Java. Download it here

#16 GTIM2L8

GTIM2L8

A Man On A Mission!

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Twitter:@GTIM2L8
  • Google+:gtim2l8
  • LocationThe Southern State That Started It All.
  • Current Device(s):Raspberry Pi, Droid Razr Maxx HD XT926 - Droid Razr XT912 - TF201 Asus Transformer Prime

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Check the environment variable to make sure the path for Java is there.

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_33\bin\java.exe

I am running Windows 7 64 bit version BTW.

''Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.'' - Albert Einstein

#17 dolfns99

dolfns99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

so I tried this again, seemed to follow all steps until I got to command line. adb is not recognized.  Checked to make sure enviromental path for java was thee but did not see it and not sure where to put it in advance settings. any help is appreciated. if I need to elaborate on it more just let me know. Thanks

#18 dolfns99

dolfns99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

nevermind, I figured it out. I was entering a colon, not a semi colon

• gunner31 likes this

#19 devans3232

devans3232

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

ive followed the op to a T and when i enter cmd and enter adb i get 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command. HELP!!!!!!! lol

#20 fluxor2k

fluxor2k

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationKnoxville
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr M

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

Great job. Im new to this and your tutorial work perfect. Thank you for taking the time to post this!! :) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adb, fastboot, command line, how to, windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users