Photo

Accidently loaded Custom Rom while Stock ROM active - what now?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 bradleonard

bradleonard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Hello

I hope I haven't screwed up my phone beyond repair.

Long story short, I loaded a custom rom JB 4.2 (CM 10.1) into the stock ROM slot. I didn't realize that was possible. But that is what it seems like I did.

Is there any recovery from this mistake? When I to to boot to stock, there is flash and then it reboots back to safe strap.

I've probably made it worse, but I did a factory reset in the stock recovery.

I think my only hope is that I can get back to a fresh install of the leaked Jellybean OTA ROM (4.1.2) that was running before I made this mistake. If that works, I can at least recover a Titanium Backup I had made.
Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

By reading a bit I think you have a RAZR or a RAZR Maxx. Your best bet is running matt's unbrick utility and reapplying the jb leak and rerooting with razor blade. Your titanium backups should be fine as long as you backed them up to your SD card.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

• The Persuader likes this

#3 bradleonard

bradleonard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

Sorry for the vague details. Your assumption is correct. My phone is an Razr Maxx XT912. I found this thread

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

refreshing my memory on how to run Matt's Utility.

That all went perfectly, but after I had finally restored my backup from Titanium Backup I then restarted my phone. I first noticed that after the SafeStrap recovery option shows up the phone then goes to the stock boot animation, but then it hangs there. I haven't waited it for a very long time but at least 5-7 minutes and it never boots up.

I then was able to get back into the Safestrap Recovery and found that the nickname I had given Slot-1 was still present from before this problem occurred. I wiped the cache and dalvik cache hoping that would help the phone boot. This did not help my situation.

Thanks again for your reply.

#4 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

Check out this thread

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

JB OTA update How To's, With Details for Be

There is some good info as well as a download link for the unbrick utility.

#5 bradleonard

bradleonard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Update: I wasn't able to boot into the stock ROM,but for testing purposes (and because I needed a phone) I was able to install the C10.1 ROM that caused me to want to get into this mess. This ROM will run from slot 1. The stock ROM will never get past the boot animation. Is the stock ROM bricked? Should I use Matt's utility and just not reinstall Safe strap or is something deeper required? I will read up on the previous link you posted now. Thank you

#6 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Update: I wasn't able to boot into the stock ROM,but for testing purposes (and because I needed a phone) I was able to install the C10.1 ROM that caused me to want to get into this mess. This ROM will run from slot 1. The stock ROM will never get past the boot animation. Is the stock ROM bricked? Should I use Matt's utility and just not reinstall Safe strap or is something deeper required? I will read up on the previous link you posted now. Thank you

Its not bricked. Just needs reapplied so to speak. That's where the unbrick utility and redoing the jb leak comes in to play. Basically reapplying the jb leak will fix whatever is broken on the stock side. Fair warning though. You will have to reroot and redo safestrap install and such. Time consuming but will get everything back up and running again.

#7 bradleonard

bradleonard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Sorry to ask so many questions... So even though I had the stock rom up and going and then it failed after reboot I should still to a complete wipe with Matt's Utility? I wonder if I should have reinstalled Safestrap AFTER a full reboot rather than during the initial configuration of the stock rom?

Also, Is it normal for Safestrap to remember a ROM nickname (and presumably other settings) with a total wipe?

I will go ahead and start over and be more cautious with the sequence with which I reinstall stuff.

#8 bradleonard

bradleonard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

Well, I've tried Matt's utility twice, but I cannot get it to boot. It won't even boot into the Safestap Recovery.

I am wondering if I can use the 4.0.4 SBF to restore? Or am I too far beyond being able to use that? I guess I will work with the Unbricking tools.

#9 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

You will need to boot into fastboot then into stock recovery from there to reapply the update. Sorry for the late response. Was watching AVP.

#10 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Safestrap backups are stored on the SD card so a full wipe won't mess with them or there nicknames.

#11 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Once you use the unbrick utility and reapply the jb leak you can perform a factory data reset before rebooting into stock ROM. That will ensure everything is cleared up.

#12 bradleonard

bradleonard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Hello, I appreciate your sticking with me on this one. I have probably messed up really bad now. I tried to SBF 4.0.4 which failed. I then tried to install the JB leak from SD card which did complete but now the AP FastBoot Flash Mode says (Flash Failure).

Is there any hope?

#13 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Well the sbf is gonna fail since you can't go back to ICS which it why you get the flash failure. First off can you boot into the stock side? If so I will give ya an easy fix for the flash failure message in fastboot.

#14 bradleonard

bradleonard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

I got to the point where nothing would boot. The M would show up and the screen would go black. I just finished the Unbricking Util. I was confused and didn't realize that it was different than Matt's other utility. We'll see what it does.

#15 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

I got to the point where nothing would boot. The M would show up and the screen would go black. I just finished the Unbricking Util. I was confused and didn't realize that it was different than Matt's other utility. We'll see what it does.

Ah OK. Running the unbrick utility will fix the fastboot failure. Just remember to reapply the leak in stock recovery after running the unbrick utility. Sorry I should have been clearer about the difference in the utilities.

#16 bradleonard

bradleonard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

I just got done running the JB Unbrick Util. I then booted into stock recovery, attempted to apply update from SD card (Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip) and got:

"assert failed: apply_patch_space(15008849)
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

and a whole series of "E:can't mount /cache/recovery/log" and so on

#17 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Did you wipe data with the utility?

#18 bradleonard

bradleonard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

Yes, I wiped in the JB Unbrick Utility. I am trying to load the update from SD card again. I wiped the cache before I started the update again.

#19 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Yes, I wiped in the JB Unbrick Utility. I am trying to load the update from SD card again. I wiped the cache before I started the update again.

OK let me know. I'm just hoping nothing got too messed up when you tried to sbf back to ICS. No errors came up on the unbrick utility when you ran it?

#20 bradleonard

bradleonard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

The unbrick utility reported everything as "Okay."
I hope don't have a true hard brick situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users