14 replies to this topic

#1 cvhovey

cvhovey

Post Traumatic nOOb Disorder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Moto X Dev Ed, Moto X Retail, Nexus 7, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X, OG Droid

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

I've searched all over on this, but not finding any answer. On multiple sites I've seen someone post similar question ... no one ever tried to answer.

In short, SS backup has worked flawless ... until this morning. When attempting to create a backup, it appears to start, goes to a black screen for half a second, then back to the SS home screen.

**Not make any difference if USB plugged in or not.

**Not make any difference whether trying to make backup to sdcard-ext or sdcard ... both fail immediately after creating (an empty) folder such as:
rom-slot1-rom-slot1-2013-02-21--12-18-53

**Same result on any slot.

**Can create new slots.

**Fix permissions does not resolve issue.

**Switching back and forth between slots to 'jog' something not make any difference.

**Dumped and saved the recovery.log from within SS ... its 888 lines and not seeing anything obvious.

**Rebooting, powering off, etc does not resolve issue.

Anyone have any ideas here? If not ...

One option I'm thinking about is to go back to my SAFE side (its stock, fresh clean .211 in prep for official JB), uninstall Safestrap, reinstall Safestrap, then reactivate ROM slot 1 to see if that will fix it. But would prefer to avoid this in the event something in SS is borked that blocks causes uninstall/reinstall issue.

Droid Razr M XT907 B/L Unlocked - Stock Rooted

#2 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

I would try to un install then reinstall first. Sounds like SS isn't cooperating. Make sure you get the latest version, also.

Topic moved to general. Non-emergency.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Posted Image

#3 cvhovey

cvhovey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Moto X Dev Ed, Moto X Retail, Nexus 7, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X, OG Droid

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

I would try to un install then reinstall first....

Just to be sure re-downloaded latest SS, went back to Safe side, deactivated SS recovery, wiped and uninstalled SS, reinstalled SS, actived SS recovery, went back into SS to activate slot-1 ... same result. Backup attempt dies and takes me to SS home screen.

Hashcode has my recovery.log now and hopefully he'll have a clue what's causing just the SS backup feature to choke.

#4 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Just to be sure re-downloaded latest SS, went back to Safe side, deactivated SS recovery, wiped and uninstalled SS, reinstalled SS, actived SS recovery, went back into SS to activate slot-1 ... same result. Backup attempt dies and takes me to SS home screen.

Hashcode has my recovery.log now and hopefully he'll have a clue what's causing just the SS backup feature to choke.

Excellent, please post back what Hash might have for you.

#5 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Almost sounds like SS is having issues mounting storage when trying to make a backup. Not to sound dumb but you aren't low on space in internal or sdcard memory? Did you recently install a rom? Sometimes on rare occasions installing a rom will leave storage unmounted therefore inaccessible in recovery.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#6 cvhovey

cvhovey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Almost sounds like SS is having issues mounting storage ...

Have plenty of space on sdcard-ext and more than adequate on sdcard. I've tried mount / unmount options from within SS to no avail. The only difference since I successfully backed-up last night was to re-create a clean slot-1 and restore a backup. This morning I decided better to make a fresh backup of slot-1 before doing some tweaks .... that's when I found SS backup refused to do its job.

If storage left unmounted, it would seem SS would not be able to write a new backup folder on each try in prep for the backup files. I'm leaning towards the new slot/restore backup last night creating some quirk somwhere in sdcard/safestrap folder, so might try to delete after uninstall SS again, then let SS recreate that folder and slots from scratch.

Sounds like Hashcode been under the weather so might end up with some like of "long scenic tour" fix that could have been solved much easier. :angry:

#7 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Ah okay. I missed the part where you said it created a folder. My eyesight is going bad lol. Hope everything works out. Glad you got ahold of Hash and it sucks to hear he is under the weather.

#8 blackops1125

blackops1125

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Rooted Avaitor Rom

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

I've searched all over on this, but not finding any answer. On multiple sites I've seen someone post similar question ... no one ever tried to answer.

In short, SS backup has worked flawless ... until this morning. When attempting to create a backup, it appears to start, goes to a black screen for half a second, then back to the SS home screen.

**Not make any difference if USB plugged in or not.

**Not make any difference whether trying to make backup to sdcard-ext or sdcard ... both fail immediately after creating (an empty) folder such as:
rom-slot1-rom-slot1-2013-02-21--12-18-53

**Same result on any slot.

**Can create new slots.

**Fix permissions does not resolve issue.

**Switching back and forth between slots to 'jog' something not make any difference.

**Dumped and saved the recovery.log from within SS ... its 888 lines and not seeing anything obvious.

**Rebooting, powering off, etc does not resolve issue.

Anyone have any ideas here? If not ...

One option I'm thinking about is to go back to my SAFE side (its stock, fresh clean .211 in prep for official JB), uninstall Safestrap, reinstall Safestrap, then reactivate ROM slot 1 to see if that will fix it. But would prefer to avoid this in the event something in SS is borked that blocks causes uninstall/reinstall issue.

Well this is my problem as well with safestrap 3.11:
I am running Razr ICS 4.0.4 safestrap 3.11.
Problem is when i try to restore a backup that I made, could have just made it 5 minutes ago( does samething to any backups) all that happens is the M logo comes up then the safestrap screen and I hit the button to boot phone normally it just goes to a black screen. I have do the 3 button reset to get back to safestrap. I then have to switch over to the stock rom slot, and that boots fine. I then have to go back into safestrap and delete rom slot 1 and re-create it to be-able to restore any backups. What is going on, what do I have to do to just be able to restore a backup without have to delete the rom slot and recreate it everytime?

I left a message on hashcode site still not answer!!!! IMO safestrap 3.xxx is not working like it surpose too. Never had a problem on safestrap 2.11!

#9 cvhovey

cvhovey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

I would try to un install then reinstall first. Sounds like SS isn't cooperating.

Excellent, please post back what Hash might have for you.

Almost sounds like SS is having issues mounting storage ...

Problem resolved (crossing fingers)! :D

A simple uninstall and re-install of SS on safe side didn't work. Finally went back to safe side again, uninstalled SS, deleted both related folders on sdcard only (safestrap and TWRP). While on .211 safe side, checked to be sure Superuser was in order but had a problem checking binary. Tried overwriting with root from Dual Boot, manually removing Superuser, redownloading from market, then trying to update binary ... it crashed. Matt's 1.82 utility root-option fixed that up. Reinstalled SS and now I can backup once again. Yeah!

#10 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Glad your back. And posting the resolution

#11 cvhovey

cvhovey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Hash indeed got back to me on this issue ... for those who think he doesn't respond. Unfortunately as is the case with many devs, they work hard, end up overworked, and there's not really much they can respond to when it comes to generalized posts about problems. If one doesn't like Safestrap, they can always request a refund, right?! Oh, its free .... but shouldn't be. :rolleyes:

Since a lot of folks don't read OPs nor dev's instructions, but complain nevertheless, Hash indicates in How-To Safestrap on his site that when one encounters strange behavior or quirks, use Advanced / Copy Log to SD which will create a recovery.log file. Or as he says in that post: "DO THIS and include the log when you send me the report." That is what I did. And that is why he could respond. Giving him the recovery.log helped him identify exactly where SS is stopping in the backup process, so he can look at what coding change may or may not be needed.

Hash is a great guy. Works his duff off for all of us with lots of different irons in the fire. I want folks to know he can and will respond to an issue when he is given the information he requests and needs to address an issue.

#12 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

Almost sounds like SS is having issues mounting storage when trying to make a backup. Not to sound dumb but you aren't low on space in internal or sdcard memory? Did you recently install a rom? Sometimes on rare occasions installing a rom will leave storage unmounted therefore inaccessible in recovery.

Delete Safestrap in Stock remove everthing to do with Safestrap...Try Reflashing Safestrap into your Stock ROM again...Activate than back to your Slotted ROM's in Safestrap and see what happens..

:)

Its Bubba

Its Bubba...."Stubborn In Your Bones"

#13 ohmster

ohmster

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:Ohmsterino
  • Google+:ohmster59@gmail.com
  • LocationPompano Beach, FL
  • Current Device(s):XT912, GT-p5113

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

You know, I have this exact same problem and this is the ONLY place to describe the issue, EXACTLY. You got a reply from Hashcode, you got your Safe Strap fixed, you told us what you did, prior to receiving and answer from Hashcode, what I really want, would like, and NEED is to know what Hashcode told you to fix this and what caused it. Is that really too much to ask? Now I am pulling my hair out in frustration, because I cannot live without Safe Strap on my XT912 because I use CyanogenMod Nightlies and backups are essential. Anyway you could maybe give us that information please? :mellow:

Thanks, Ohmster

Hash indeed got back to me on this issue ... for those who think he doesn't respond. Unfortunately as is the case with many devs, they work hard, end up overworked, and there's not really much they can respond to when it comes to generalized posts about problems. If one doesn't like Safestrap, they can always request a refund, right?! Oh, its free .... but shouldn't be. :rolleyes:

Since a lot of folks don't read OPs nor dev's instructions, but complain nevertheless, Hash indicates in How-To Safestrap on his site that when one encounters strange behavior or quirks, use Advanced / Copy Log to SD which will create a recovery.log file. Or as he says in that post: "DO THIS and include the log when you send me the report." That is what I did. And that is why he could respond. Giving him the recovery.log helped him identify exactly where SS is stopping in the backup process, so he can look at what coding change may or may not be needed.

Hash is a great guy. Works his duff off for all of us with lots of different irons in the fire. I want folks to know he can and will respond to an issue when he is given the information he requests and needs to address an issue.

#14 cvhovey

cvhovey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:41 PM

Since my phone eventually conked out on me and I don't use Safestrap on my bootloader unlocked Moto X ... can't say I clearly recall the answers to your questions. However, if my memory is still partly working right, it seems eventually a few folks determined a simple fix to this failed backup problem was to enter Safestrap mode (where you backup, restore, etc.) and then choose: Advanced > Settings > Restore Defaults. When I later had the same failed backup problem, doing the Advanced > Settings > Restore Defaults solve the problem as easy as pie.

Sorry ... wish I could better describe it, but not having used Safestrap for many months, its foggy to me. 

You know, I have this exact same problem and this is the ONLY place to describe the issue, EXACTLY. You got a reply from Hashcode, you got your Safe Strap fixed, you told us what you did, prior to receiving and answer from Hashcode, what I really want, would like, and NEED is to know what Hashcode told you to fix this and what caused it. Is that really too much to ask? Now I am pulling my hair out in frustration, because I cannot live without Safe Strap on my XT912 because I use CyanogenMod Nightlies and backups are essential. Anyway you could maybe give us that information please? :mellow:

Thanks, Ohmster

#15 ohmster

ohmster

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:Ohmsterino
  • Google+:ohmster59@gmail.com
  • LocationPompano Beach, FL
  • Current Device(s):XT912, GT-p5113

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:11 AM

It's okay cvhovey. Got it sorted out last night and will post all details to help others with this issue. This is the only forum or help site to accuratly describe this issue perfectly so this will be the site with the correct answer(s) for it. :)

I had the same exact issue you had. Safe Strap all of a sudden would no longer create backups. You give backup a name or use the auto generated name. Pick a place to backup to, either internal or external sdcard. Swipe with finger. Screen would blink and go black in like two seconds. Tap screen and it would light up at the menu, as if your backup really worked, all within 2 seconds. Check backup in File Manager and the backup folder was in the /TWRP/BACKUPS/0000000000000000/<backup name>, but the folder itself was empty. No backup had occurred. I removed Safe Strap from stock, both recovery and app, reinstalled app and recovery and still had the same problem. Very frustrating.

So, myself and another fellow worked on this together at XDA and got it fixed last night. We decided to delete only the TWRP folders and contents, not the /sdcard/safestrap folder. I backed up everything in mass storage mode with a USB cable anyway. Rather than delete the folders, I just renamed them from TWRP to TWRP-OLD, then went into recovery to make a backup, and allow Safe Strap to recreate these folders itself in order to backup CyanogenMod ROM11. It worked! One other thing I noticed is that out of the three checkboxes I usually check, I did not have Android Secure checked. These are the 5 check boxes in Safe Strap for backups and the state they should be in for a cm11 backup.

Android Secure- check
     Data - check
     Cache - NO check
     System - check
     Webtop - NO check

I did put the check back in Android Secure and made the backup. After which, I could then move my 9 existing backups from TWRP-OLD to the newly created TWRP folder where they can all be used for restore. I can delete the TWRP-OLD old directories because they are not needed. My Motorola Droid Razr Maxx XT912 CDMA and Safe Strap work perfectly again. I wanted to post this hear for the benefit of anyone else having this issue. 'night guys! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: safestrap, backup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users