#1 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

So, with the soak test invites coming out, I wanted to give all of you some basic information on exactly what the soak test is, who's eligible and how long it takes.

Who gets to be on the soak test?
Well, this question has a few parts.

1- You have to be registered for the MFN (Motorola Feedback Network). Once you've created an account you'll simply register your IMEI/MEID and select that you'd like to participate in the MFN.

2- Being in the MFN only puts your name in the hat, it doesn't guarantee that you'll be selected. If you're selected, you'll receive an email with a link to a survey that you'll need to complete before the soak test push to determine further eligibility criteria. If that looks good, you still may not be selected but most of the time if the survey checks out and nothing is wonky, you'll get it.

3- The "Fight Club rule" is in effect. All soak test participants have to agree to an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement). Soak test participants cannot discuss specifics of the soak test, doing so violates the NDA and can potentially remove you from further soak test eligibility. Even posting that the soak test has begun can violate this NDA, so it's probably a good idea to keep quiet about it.

4- If you get the soak test OTA, Motorola opens up a special forum for all soak test users that is secret where users discuss what's working, what isn't working, what they like and what they don't like.

How does the soak test work as far as timing?

This is the part that most people have questions about, so here's usually how it goes:
1- Invites sent for surveys, typically on Sunday/Monday.
2- OTA push 7-10 days later. Fri-Mon.
3- Soak test ends 7 days after the OTA push
4- 1-3 weeks later, full OTA comes down for everyone

Now, these times are completely fluid and change from soak test to soak test. This is just an estimate of timing.

Hopefully this answers many of the questions regarding soaks and how they work. Feel free to ask more questions in this thread and, if we can, we'll get them answered!
  • Thach, satman80, eyecre8 and 1 other like this

Posted Image

#2 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Also you must be fully stock (on stock build, no SS, no mods, etc). Fastbooting too close to when the soak OTA rolls out can knock you out of the soak. And you can be rooted, but they don't want you to be. Temp unroot through voodoo.

#3 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Also you must be fully stock (on stock build, no SS, no mods, etc). Fastbooting too close to when the soak OTA rolls out can knock you out of the soak. And you can be rooted, but they don't want you to be. Temp unroot through voodoo.

Exactly. :D That's all covered if you get picked in the survey

Posted Image

#4 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

word

#5 kevin.slawinski

kevin.slawinski

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx, Verizon

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Exactly. :D That's all covered if you get picked in the survey

So hypothetically...just unfreeze all my apps, make sure I've got stock ICS/JB and recovery, and wait for the OTA?

#6 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

So hypothetically...just unfreeze all my apps, make sure I've got stock ICS/JB and recovery, and wait for the OTA?

Just unfreezing your apps might not work, although in theory it should. An apk could get corrupted when getting unfrozen, unlikely but it could happen. Just so everyone knows, on the last one, I fastbooted the day before getting the soak and got the OTA just fine.
  • Thach and aktrazer like this

#7 rhythmtraveler

rhythmtraveler

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

They say fully stock/unmodified. I've never rooted my phone but have Smart Actions set for work etc..Do I need turn those off? They were mentioned specifically.

#8 rhythmtraveler

rhythmtraveler

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

They say fully stock/unmodified. I've never rooted my phone but have Smart Actions set for work etc..Do I need turn those off? They were mentioned specifically.

#9 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

What do you mean you have smart actions set for work? If you have never rooted or altered in any way then you are fine.

My opinions/views provided free of charge courtesy of Tapatalk on my Nexus 7 or Moto RAZR.

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#10 rhythmtraveler

rhythmtraveler

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

What do you mean you have smart actions set for work? If you have never rooted or altered in any way then you are fine.

My opinions/views provided free of charge courtesy of Tapatalk on my Nexus 7 or Moto RAZR.

Thanks for the reply, just trying to understand the process.

#11 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the reply, just trying to understand the process.

Np, Your asking the same questions I had when I first did a soak so I know where you are coming from. Generally speaking, even people that have never altered their devices in any way have had a issue or two during these soaks. Its kind of the nature of the beast and something that you may not see but should be mindful of. Regardless of how things go though, I have always found that the people on the moto forums as well as here are very helpful in figuring things out to make things better.
  • aktrazer likes this

#12 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

When I was more active on Moto's forums, there were a few reports that smart actions got messed up during the upgrade to ICS. All you had to do to remedy the situation was rebuild the profile.

#13 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks ND

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

When I was more active on Moto's forums, there were a few reports that smart actions got messed up during the upgrade to ICS. All you had to do to remedy the situation was rebuild the profile.

If memory serves me right, the root exploit used on the leaked JB update in December was accomplished through smart actions.

• satman80 likes this

#14 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:27 AM

If memory serves me right, the root exploit used on the leaked JB update in December was accomplished through smart actions.

You are correct. I thought he was asking about SA and updating vs SA and rooting. You can have active SA profiles when you update but they might get messed up, and just have to recreate them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users