7 replies to this topic

#1 imhowie

imhowie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

Hey everyone. I posted this issue a few days ago hoping to find a bit of javascript to fix the issue, but was able to find a workaround that didn't require any scripting.

I have been having the issue where a lot of times when my phone boots, it thinks there's an HDMI cable plugged in when there isn't and it forces the phone into landscape mode. My solution to fix this before I automated it with Tasker was to go to the display settings and toggle the "Enable to detect HDMI cable" setting on and then back off, but now I have figured out how to get Tasker to do this for me. This is a very long task, but it does the job.

Edit: Before running this task, go to your phone's display settings and make sure that the two check boxes under "HDMI Settings" are toggled off. I'm not sure if both of them need to be off, but at least keep the box next to HDMI Connection unchecked. If this box is checked, the task will turn it back on and you'll probably have the same problem still.

Here is a detailed description of how it is done for anyone else who is having this happen and doesn't want to send their phone back to Verizon and lose everything:

1. If you don't have the app Tasker, download it from the Play Store. (This app costs a few dollars, and if you don't know what it is, it is similar to the Smart Actions app that comes on the RAZR, only it is way more powerful. I would also recommend downloading the app Secure Settings, however it is not required for this task. If you're going to use Tasker to automate actions on your phone, I'd recommend it as it will give Tasker even more control over your phone.)
2. Create a new Profile. You can skip naming it if you want.
3. Select "Event" -> "System" -> "Device Boot".
4. Create new task upon prompt. Skip naming if desired.
5. Add a new action: "Task" -> "Wait" -> configure to 15 seconds. (This time may be able to be shortened, but it is recommended by the app to wait at least 5 seconds so the phone has time to do all it has to do when it boots.)
6. Add a new action: "Display" -> "Keyguard" -> Set "Off".
7. Add a new action: "Task" -> "Wait" -> configure to 1 second. (This action may be able to be skipped, but I put it in there just in case the phone lags at all when unlocking the screen.)
8. Add a new action: "Settings" -> "Display settings".
9. Add a new action: "Input" -> "Dpad" -> Button "Down", Repeat times "10", Check the box for "Continue Task After Error".
10. Add a new action: "Input" -> "Dpad" -> Button "Press", Repeat times "1", check the box for "Continue Task After Error".
11. Add a new action: "Input" -> "Dpad" -> Button "Down", Repeat times "10", check the box for "Continue Task After Error". (This action may seem unnecessary, but it is here in case your phone didn't go into landscape mode when it booted, because it may go into landscape mode after the task checks the box and that will cause the selection to go back to the top of the list.)
12. Add a new action: "Input" -> "Dpad" -> Button "Press", repeat times "1", check the box for "Continue Task After Error".
13. Add a new action: "App" -> "Go Home".
14. Add a new action: "Display" -> "Keyguard" -> Set "On".

An important note is to not interrupt the phone as it performs this task. It will take a few seconds and if you touch anything, it will most likely cause the action to not perform correctly and it will start clicking on random things on your phone.

Also, I realize that your phone may not go into landscape mode when it boots and this has happened to me several times where everything seems fine and then for some reason, the phone decides it's going to detect an HDMI cable a few hours after it boots. I have found that if I have done these actions at boot, it will prevent that from happening, so that is why I have it run every time the phone boots.

If you try this and you have any questions, ask me. I'm not a developer nor am I am expert user for Tasker, but I would say I'm at least intermediate, if not advanced on it. I will try to provide help where I can. I hope this helps some people!

#2 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Wow, nice work! I used to use locale way back when and always thought people were crazy for saying tasker was better when locale did everything i needed it to do. Had no idea it had these capabilities! That's awesome.

#3 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

Moving this to Droid RAZR How-Tos. Excellent write up!

Posted Image

#4 imhowie

imhowie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

Moving this to Droid RAZR How-Tos. Excellent write up!

Thanks! Wasn't sure what section it should go I'm. Sorry for putting in the wrong one.

#5 noamparn

noamparn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

My wife had this problem with her Razr Maxx within a few days of buying it. It was random, and I couldn't figure out how to fix it - until I checked for dirt in the HDMI port. It would switch in and out when I blew (lightly) into the port. A light jab with a toothpick would do it, too. Turns out the HDMI jack was a little loose.
The phone went back to the Verizon store for a brand-new replacement (it was within the 14 days). No problems since.

#6 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

imhowie, glad you got it figured out and working in Tasker. :) and thank you for the detailed write-up.

Nice job!

#7 mitsu

mitsu

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

Thanks imhowie. I was having the same problem. I was hunting for a solution or adb command that tasker could run to change the HDMI settings at boot up and found this topis. I also stumbled upon another solution that seems to fix the issue using a program called System Tuner by 3c found in the app store. Free version works fine.

Make sure you're rooted
download and install System Tuner
start system tuner
choose startups
choose com.motorola.android.extdispservice
uncheck the box next to ExtDispServiceHDMIntentReceiver
close system tuner
reboot

I have rebooted my phone several times with no HDMI issues. If I go back into system tuner and change the settings back the HDMI issue starts up again. I have docked my phone and no issues there. It charges and gives me docking choices and don't see any negative side effects so far. Any chance someone else can try and see what results they get.
  • italo7o9 likes this

#8 dovedescent7

dovedescent7

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

Thanks imhowie. I was having the same problem. I was hunting for a solution or adb command that tasker could run to change the HDMI settings at boot up and found this topis. I also stumbled upon another solution that seems to fix the issue using a program called System Tuner by 3c found in the app store. Free version works fine.

Make sure you're rooted
download and install System Tuner
start system tuner
choose startups
choose com.motorola.android.extdispservice
uncheck the box next to ExtDispServiceHDMIntentReceiver
close system tuner
reboot

I have rebooted my phone several times with no HDMI issues. If I go back into system tuner and change the settings back the HDMI issue starts up again. I have docked my phone and no issues there. It charges and gives me docking choices and don't see any negative side effects so far. Any chance someone else can try and see what results they get.

I tried tasker methos and messed it up,but the above solution works 100%..THANK YOU   AFTER HOURS OF SEARCHING,I CAN GO TO BED NOW!!!      MAD LOVE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users