#1 fdnj48

fdnj48

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

I just got a Razr from a friend that he had rooted prior to me getting it. The phone is currently behind on the software upgrades. it was rooted when it had 6.11.910 on it. What roms should I be flashing to get this phone up to date? Thanks for any help

#2 vash_h

vash_h

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Google+:chiayx
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

Check for updates.. If there isn't any, out means your on the latest, at the moment.

Sent from my XT910
Running Rooted Motorola Droid XT910 on 65.1.21.XT910.PSHAsiaRetail.en.03

#3 fdnj48

fdnj48

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

It says I dont have any updates but I know the phone is not on the most current software. So I want to get it on the current one without losing root

#4 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

I just got a Razr from a friend that he had rooted prior to me getting it. The phone is currently behind on the software upgrades. it was rooted when it had 6.11.910 on it. What roms should I be flashing to get this phone up to date? Thanks for any help

It is funny that you mention 910. I noticed a few weeks back while in a Verizon store that all the new RAZRs had 6.11.910 on them. I posted in these forums asking about that system and someone insisted that was just a display system, which I had never heard of.

For the rest of us, our RAZRs came with either 6.11.744 or 748 and then we got an ota to 6.12.173 so we never saw the 910 system version.

So, either they were right and 910 was not supposed to be on a phone for consumers and was only for in store demo use or it was an official version that current owners just never saw.

Either way, if it will not recognize any updates for you, the only suggestion I could give is to do a fastboot restore using mattlgroffs utility. If you are new to droids, you should read up on the process just to be sure you understand the process.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

#5 fdnj48

fdnj48

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

Im really inexperienced with all this rooting and rom'ing on Motorola's. If I unroot the phone will I be able to get OTA's again?

#6 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:40 AM

Im really inexperienced with all this rooting and rom'ing on Motorola's. If I unroot the phone will I be able to get OTA's again?

Rooting had nothing to do with receiving an ota. The ota will still come to your phone even if rooted. The problem is that the ota/update path goes from 6.11.744 to 748 to 6.12.173. Since your phone is not one of those official systems, you will not receive an ota. It would appear as though you someone got a demo/ store version. Assuming you are Verizon and not overseas somewhere.

#7 fdnj48

fdnj48

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

Oh ok. Im coming from a Thunderbolt and once I rooted that I never received any OTA updates anymore. Im definitely not overseas somewhere lol! Im in NJ

#8 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:51 AM

Oh ok. Im coming from a Thunderbolt and once I rooted that I never received any OTA updates anymore. Im definitely not overseas somewhere lol! Im in NJ

Just making sure. But jersey is like a foreign place anyway. Lol. J/k.

Yeah, rooting never stopped my phone from receiving an ota. Once the ota downloaded, it would either fail to install if I changed something after root, or it would install and just remove root.

If you want to beer on the latest system, download Matt's utility and it will allow you to flash directly to their latest system and you can root after flashing .

#9 fdnj48

fdnj48

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:52 AM

Where can I get his utility?

#10 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

Where can I get his utility?

In these forums, there is a thread in the development section for cdma razrs titled Razr Utility. It is stickied Sdo it is easy to find. It literally dies everything you need. He includes instructions in the thread.

#11 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:59 AM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

[Windows]

Here is the link to the thread.

#12 fdnj48

fdnj48

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

Thanks!! So am I gonna choose the option to Restore Droid RAZR to 6.12.173 or Unroot?

#13 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:07 AM

You don't need to unroot. You can choose the restore option. After it restores, or before, it is recommended that you wipe the system but I personally have run the program and not wiped. It is a matter of preference really. (Actually, I am not sure but his latest version might wipe the phone for you. I have an older version of his utility)Once it restores, if you did not wipe, you should uninstall the superuser app and then you can run the option to root.

#14 fdnj48

fdnj48

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

So does restoring it unroot the phone? Sorry for all the questions!

#15 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

Yes, it will unroot the phone but you can root it again after you restore to 173.

Just a reminder you need to have at least 60% or more battery life before running the restore option because it can take up to 20 minutes to do its thing and if the battery is too low, you will end up in a real bad situation.

#16 fdnj48

fdnj48

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:15 AM

Thanks alot for the help!!! Is this a fairly easy process?

#17 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

No problem. It is very easy, you just download the utility, plug the phone in and follow instructions.

Just make sure you read his instructions in the thread too for any tips or special instructions he may give.

#18 fdnj48

fdnj48

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

Awesome thanks!!! Im gonna do it tomorrow at work. Ill let you know how it goes!

#19 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

Glad I could help.... please do follow up so I know everything went smoothly for you.

#20 fdnj48

fdnj48

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hey JK when it says that the utility will wipe my internal SD card does that mean my internal memory of the phone or my actual SD card itself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users