Photo

Verizon HD MAXX, where to get started...plus a small issue.

ROOT ROM FACTORY RESET SAFE STRAP RECOVERY LAG

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamliner

Dreamliner

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Current Device(s):RAZR MAXX HD

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

New to the RZR forums, just want a bit of guidance.

I've been through many phones and always played with alternate ROM's, then I got a Photon 4G with a locked bootloader and that fun stopped. I hopped over to Verizon and grabbed the original RAZR MAXX, I've always disliked the poor clarity of PenTile AMOLED, but wanted the signal strength and battery life. When the RAZR MAXX HD hit, I picked it up quick.

I've been getting increasingly frustrated with the insane amount of laaaaaaag on the MAXX HD, its honestly worse than my original RAZR MAXX!

I have a few items I'd like to address:

I rooted my MAXX HD and am running stock JB.

1.) I have a really odd issue when trying to perform a factory reset. If the phone is NOT plugged into a wall charger, it hangs at the open Android. I let it sit there for over an hour and nothing happened. I forced it to shut off, plugged in the charger and it worked just fine. I something similar happening before where it would hang and it needed to be plugged in to continue...is this or will this be an issue?

2.)

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Is this built in to any of the ROMs or is it just something to flash on top of any ROM?

3.) The method to unlock the boot loader is a bit concerning, is there a thread that talks about getting the MAXX HD ready for ROMS that is easy to understand as the ROOT thread?

4.) Is it possible to restore the device to factory settings after messing with the boot loader and alternate ROMs to send back to Verizon. (I understand its never 100% again, but I've sent back root-then-unrooted phones without a problem.)

5.) Other than my experience with CWM backups, I am really confused on how backups operate on Android in general. I have Titanium (which I've only used to freeze apps), but I can't figure out how people hop in an out of ROMs without spending hours setting everything up again.

6.) Any ROM suggestions? I like as close to AOSP as possible (I don't like heavy handed theming), but I am not willing to lose any features. I need camera, gps, picture messaging, tethering, 4G, etc. I also really like notification tray toggles. I've seen some ROMs the minimalistic toggles, its acceptable, but I've never seen it done better than on the HTC roms though:

Posted Image

:)

#2 zooyork0721

zooyork0721

All Around Man

• Developer
  • 979 posts
  • Google+:gtalk/hangouts- zooyork0721
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • Current Device(s):OnePlus 8 Pro

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

i would say for the toggles just use power toggles

for aosp i would say Vitreous

for a good rom that is themed but great and a aosp theme for it is being made i would say fuzion

:) choices :P good luck with finding what you would like in roms because of the locked bootloader we dont have a ton of development but the development we have are awesome! :)

lr79yH0.png

en_app_rgb_wo_60.png

#3 Dreamliner

Dreamliner

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

I was able to figure out Safe Strap easy enough. I've tried 2 ROMs, very disappointing. One had copious amounts of lag, the other was top heavily themed, so I moved on.

What ROM is the smoothest? After I tried the script mod it made things worse!

#4 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

Topic moved to General. Non emergency.

Posted Image

#5 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:dunttt
  • Google+:jon36m@gmail.com
  • LocationChicago IL
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

I was able to figure out Safe Strap easy enough. I've tried 2 ROMs, very disappointing. One had copious amounts of lag, the other was top heavily themed, so I moved on.

What ROM is the smoothest? After I tried the script mod it made things worse!

personally I think stock ROM .41 without any recovery installed just straight root works the fastest and smoothest. The bloat ware doesn't bother me a bit as I think when I removed it it actually slowed down . I also go into stock recovery every week or so and format cache . If you insist on custom ROM id say Nexesque is the best!!!! I've flashed every ROM for the HD and this is my honest opinion lol weird because I've NEVER ran stock root on any of my devices until now

It is also maybe a recommendation to fast boot back to ICS and then eerily, back up root and then accept JB again. This is what I done (not by choice , messed up my system on night running on no sleep lol) but after that it was running so well for me I just said forget a custom ROM for the moment . 2 weeks later and I've finally stopped going through flashing withdrawals lol

#6 Dreamliner

Dreamliner

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

^well that's unfortunate!

I'm on 41 and think it blows! Awful lag.

I guess if this is the best it gets (which is worse than my OG RAZR MAXX) I'll be looking into alternatives.

#7 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

^well that's unfortunate!

I'm on 41 and think it blows! Awful lag.

I guess if this is the best it gets (which is worse than my OG RAZR MAXX) I'll be looking into alternatives.

this is odd because my HD flies in comparison to my OG MaXX . I'd try fast booting back to ICS and starting over first. I'll be keeping this probably for the next year gonna skio past the xphone and whatever comes out after that will be 100% Google development. (18 month timeline is going to mean xphone will be part of Motorola's lineup before the Google buyout). But anyway lemme know if that works going back to ics

#8 Dreamliner

Dreamliner

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

I've had a few MAXX HD's due to replacements trying to get one with the least noticeable screen blotches (good 'ol AMOLED), they've all been laggy. Even the RAZR HD at best buy today had lag.

I mean, 20% of the time, the phone can't even drop the notification shade smoothly.

#9 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

I've had a few MAXX HD's due to replacements trying to get one with the least noticeable screen blotches (good 'ol AMOLED), they've all been laggy. Even the RAZR HD at best buy today had lag.

I mean, 20% of the time, the phone can't even drop the notification shade smoothly.

I think you should return this device and ask for.another one if there is noticeable lag.

#10 Dreamliner

Dreamliner

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

^It's not specific to my device, they all have lag, its just very annoying to me.

#11 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

^It's not specific to my device, they all have lag, its just very annoying to me.

In this case may be best to start looking into trading out on swappa. I'm sorry to hear your experience with the HD hasn't been a good one.

#12 Dreamliner

Dreamliner

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Yeah, it's a really frustrating thing. I really don't want to leave this phone as it has the best battery life and reception of any phone I've ever had. I just honestly don't understand the lag, I've never seen anything like it before. Why would it lag simply trying to pull down the notification menu? I think it has something to do with that Motorola script that must be putting the processor in some sort of power save mode because when it works quickly it's fine, but it seems like every once in awhile it legs really badly and it's really detracts from user experience.

#13 zooyork0721

zooyork0721

All Around Man

• Developer
  • 979 posts
  • Google+:gtalk/hangouts- zooyork0721
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • Current Device(s):OnePlus 8 Pro

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

did you try out that moto script? :) might help !

lr79yH0.png

en_app_rgb_wo_60.png

#14 Dreamliner

Dreamliner

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

1.) Any ideas if this (The ALTERNATE Method):

does anything, or what its effect would be on a rooted/safe strap device like mine?

2.) I've heard ICS is smoother...is it possible to get to this without needing to RSD?

3.) Anything special to RSD while rooted & safestrap.

#15 Dreamliner

Dreamliner

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

Just a quick update:

My lag was so bad my phone was becoming virtually unusable. I tried various ROMs, nothing seemed to help. When I would try that Moto Script with a ROM, the lag got noticeably worse!

I did a restore to 4.0.4 using Matts utility. It was 100000000% (+/- 10%) better.

I didn't root it do anything and upgraded up through JB. Even with Google Now running and nothing disabled, uninstalled or frozen, it's working great.

Is it possible that rooting or Safe strap caused these lag issues?

If it was something else, why did ROMs lag badly as well?

#16 Guest_Xplorer4x4_*

Guest_Xplorer4x4_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

There are 3 versions of the moto script. Which one did you try? If you can sacrifice battery life go for v3. V24/v1 is the best combo of performance and battery but still has some lag. The only the I notice lag is when I first start to type but that goes away in seconds and I am good to go! I am running that on fuzion rc1.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

#17 Dreamliner

Dreamliner

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

There are 3 versions of the moto script. Which one did you try? If you can sacrifice battery life go for v3. V24/v1 is the best combo of performance and battery but still has some lag. The only the I notice lag is when I first start to type but that goes away in seconds and I am good to go! I am running that on fuzion rc1.

V1. It made things worse for me for some reason. I have a feeling something was wrong with my configuration (even though the ROMs I tried lagged awful right away...). When I did the restore and upgrade through jelly bean, even though I don't have root, My phone is working flawlessly. I don't know if I will try to restore with root again or not, is it possible that rooting in itself caused to my lag issues?

Either way, I picked up a Note 2...so I'll see how that goes for a few weeks.

#18 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:06 AM

V1. It made things worse for me for some reason. I have a feeling something was wrong with my configuration (even though the ROMs I tried lagged awful right away...). When I did the restore and upgrade through jelly bean, even though I don't have root, My phone is working flawlessly. I don't know if I will try to restore with root again or not, is it possible that rooting in itself caused to my lag issues?

Either way, I picked up a Note 2...so I'll see how that goes for a few weeks.

I'm also running stock jb root without safestrap installed and I also think its way faster with nothing disabled or nothing modded (WiFi tether entitlement check changed to zero is the only mod). Glad to hear you got things straightened out! Do you have a stock charger that you got when purchasing the HD? If so can you do me a huge favor I've been waiting on a reply forever on the mA on the back of the charger. Should be some numbers on the back of the charger if you can just copy them on here for me .

#19 Dreamliner

Dreamliner

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

Do you have a stock charger that you got when purchasing the HD? If so can you do me a huge favor I've been waiting on a reply forever on the mA on the back of the charger. Should be some numbers on the back of the charger if you can just copy them on here for me .

5.1v 750ma.

Just call Motorola and tell the your charger died, they will send you a new one for free

#20 Guest_Xplorer4x4_*

Guest_Xplorer4x4_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Edit wrong thread.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ROOT, ROM, FACTORY RESET, SAFE STRAP, RECOVERY, LAG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users