Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:02 AM

Uh, no.  It was my mistake.

I thought they only released OTA for pushing to devices and for manually flashing.

Turns out they pushed the OTA but have system images you can download (but they won't get OTAs down the line, including not getting the final product - basically the same as before).

I initially thought the system image for Q was an OTA - I see now it is a full flash system image.  Which means that it should work without too much of an issue with HoG (except that you just need the URL to grab the required file - here you go):

https://developer.an...w/download.html

From what I can read, there is no (yet released anyway) version of the platform tools, but Q is going to be a new API level, so I suspect they will release new platform tools soon enough.  They already have updated SDK tools ready to be installed via SDK Manager.

#302 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:05 AM

LMAO.  Yes...."all I need is the url".  :D  ROFLMAO!  First, I know where the images are. ;)  Second, I've been working on the code for it for about an hour now and am almost done adding the functionality to the HoG.  That page is slightly different than the others so parsing it is a little tricky.  I'm almost there just running through a few more debugging sessions to tease out the info I need.

• johnlgalt likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#303 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:25 AM

No, yeah, I didn't mean you only need to update the URL, although that is what even I would infer from my statement...sorry.

Hmmm.

So, if you get this worked out, and can have the option enabled in HoG to not wipe data, and then I were to test installation on my Taimen by installing on top of what I have installed now (ignoring the fact I lose root - I can fix that myself), do you think that it still would not qualify to receive OTAs since data was not wiped?

I suspect that the most likely scenario would be that yes, it loses the ability to receive OTAs.  And based upon that, I would probably need to make a full backup of the Taimen in TWRP before attempting to play, because my other alternative to restoring my device if something were to go wrong would be to flash the latest Pie system image, restore data from TWRP backup (or just let Google do it), uninstall Magisk from the restored TWRP backup (if it works), then wait for the Q DP1 OTA to come in again (which might require me to do things like opt out and sign back up for the program in order ot receive it again), install it, and finally flash the Magisk canary build to get root back....

And I won't have a lot of time to do that this weekend, at least until Sunday night.  Visiting a buddy and his family (his boys, just shy of 2 and 3 respectively, sent me, through his mother in law, the cutest Happy Birthday video I've ever received), then off to a combined birthday celebration tonight, and meeting my folks and sister in Atlanta for my actual birthday celebration with my family (Yesterday, thanks to the forecast from the previous week, the bomb cyclone was supposed to bring us a $#!+ton of rain, so we postponed my birthday dinner until Sunday lunch - and we didn't even get a drop here....).  So my celebration with my family tomorrow is a combined birthday and St. Patrick's Day celebration....

So, the earliest I would be playing would be Sunday night.

• SamuriHL likes this

#304 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:46 AM

Well, the code is written and I'm about to do a release shortly so whenever you get to it.  LMAO  And yes, flashing this will "lose" OTA until the factory released image is out later this year.  But honestly, if you're in the HoG you're good on updates.  ;)  I had to take a few liberties and fix their crappy "beta" data.  For example, they don't add an Android version which the HoG sort of requires.  So for now I just made one up (10.0).  I'll fix the code to deal with that later...it's a much bigger rewrite than simply adding a fake version in there as a work around.  It's not like that version that I use impacts flashing at all so it's whatever.  I also have to create my own link cause they're idiots on that one, too.  But whatever....that should be ok even going forward.  In any case I just selected the beta image for the Marlin and downloaded it.  Obviously I can't flash it but I don't suspect there'd be any issue in doing so.  I'll release this as soon as my download is finished.

• johnlgalt likes this

#305 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:52 AM

0.0.9.7 released

This adds Android Q beta factory image support and that's it.  This was done as a feature flag so when the Q release is out and beta is no longer relevant I can turn off the beta code so people don't get screwed up.

• johnlgalt likes this

#306 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:19 PM

0.0.9.7 released

This adds Android Q beta factory image support and that's it.  This was done as a feature flag so when the Q release is out and beta is no longer relevant I can turn off the beta code so people don't get screwed up.

Good thinking.  I'll play tomorrow night - about to leave the house now.

• SamuriHL likes this

#307 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:48 AM

I did some refactoring around the html parsing for the next version. It won't make a difference for end users but it should allow me to integrate more images sources easier going forward. We'll see how that works out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• johnlgalt likes this

#308 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:03 AM

Cool.  I'm about to leave for Atlanta, a little sight-seeing and then meeting up with my sister later.  Dinner at Sotto Sotto, in Atlanta.

I should be back home around, say, 1 pm EDT?  lol....

• SamuriHL likes this

#309 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:31 PM

Must...go....bed.  LOL  It's ugly, but, I was able to crack the Essential data parsing problem tonight.  I need to look into it more and do a proper fix, but, for now I can add Essential OTA and Factory images soon.  Tomorrow I need to prep for my interview but probably Wednesday after it's done I'll finish the code.  But at least I get the data back now.

• johnlgalt and LDubs like this

#310 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:22 AM

Another day off.  I plan to do some testing of Q features, but I may also try using HoG to HoGwash my Taimen with a clean Q install and see how that goes, wrt whether settings persist after reboot or not (currently, more than a few things forget their settings:

1. Android Auto always acts as if it has never been set up after a reboot

2. Pay was working on the Pie to Q update, but now it has stopped working, also acting as if it has not been set up (although all my cards are there, it wants me to complete the setup by entering the CVC, at which point it tells me I cannot use Pay on this device - and this was without root).

3. Feature flags get reset to their default setting (which is disabled for 2 flags that I want on, the screen video recording and the new power button menu).

I doubt a clean install from system image will make a difference, but testing is what I do, so....

#311 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:08 AM

Another user at XDA pointed me to this:

https://forum.xda-de...ashing-t3704761

I was just about to ask if you would consider adding the ability to flip active slot so the end user could flash *both* slots (for piece of mind, if nothing else).

#312 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:28 AM

It's on the short list of things to do.  I've not decided how I'm going to handle that yet.

I did fix the weird bug in my essential code thanks to my friend's help (url encoding is a weird voodoo).  The only thing left to do is parse the HTML which should be trivial and throw the essential data into the mix.  Of course those morons don't make my life easy by separating out OTA and factory builds.  Quite frankly, their whole website is a major pain in the ass.  If I were an essential owner, I'd DEFINITELY want the HoG to support my device just so I didn't have to deal with that crappy webpage!  :D  I tackled this one before the interview because it's relevant to the job I'm going for.  There's a lot of web side stuff I'd be doing so I wanted to go through a web debugging exercise and figure this damn thing out.  Firefox Development + Postman == HELL YEA.

Anyway, I'll think about your slot issue when I get a chance.  I want to properly design it and we have to remember that not all devices have slot support so I gotta figure something out there.

• johnlgalt likes this

#313 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:37 AM

Yeah, I knew that slot selection would have to be a device (family?) specific thing, and you'll probably want redundancies, as well (OK, you may not, as you expect your users to actually read before using your software), but it would probably be more of a niche feature than anything - 99% of users would not need to use it (and at least 50% of those using HoG would most likely not even know what it is for in the first place)....

#314 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:46 AM

Can you try the slot command on your whale and see if it borks anything?  If the command to change the slot is harmless then I won't feel bad jamming the command at them if they erroneously select slot selection as an option.

• johnlgalt likes this

#315 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:12 AM

I've already used the slot command, from when I was trying different ROMs on the whale  last month (when I installed Bliss, for example, I could not do a simple flash_all - it would not boot unless I flashed to both slots - no idea why, but that is what I experienced - twice).

So, yeah, the change active slot command is a simple command - and it returns a simple value.

#316 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:14 AM

I can try it now - but I don't think that the second slot has Q installed.  Want me to use the slot command and then use HoG to flash Q ßeta system image to the slot as a more robust test?

#317 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:47 AM

I've already used the slot command, from when I was trying different ROMs on the whale  last month (when I installed Bliss, for example, I could not do a simple flash_all - it would not boot unless I flashed to both slots - no idea why, but that is what I experienced - twice).

So, yeah, the change active slot command is a simple command - and it returns a simple value.

But the Nexus 6 doesn't have slots. I want to know what the command does on a phone that doesn't have slots.

#318 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:47 AM

I can try it now - but I don't think that the second slot has Q installed.  Want me to use the slot command and then use HoG to flash Q ßeta system image to the slot as a more robust test?

I wasn't asking for Taimen.  I was asking for shamu... :)  I know what the taimen will do.  Same as my marlin.

• johnlgalt likes this

#319 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:47 AM

I wasn't thinking lol.

I'll give it a shot.

• SamuriHL likes this

#320 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

Yea, that'd be helpful.  Then I can think about how to implement it when I get back from the interview tomorrow.

• johnlgalt likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users