Photo

[Solved] No 4G after JB update

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Thanks to everyone for the help. So if I get a used RAZR on eBay, is it as simple as switching the SIM card and I'm good? Or do I need to call Verizon to make the switch?

Yep, switch out the SIM and you're good to go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#22 ksenter

ksenter

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Ugh! Very sad to hear this. I looked at my IMEI and it has a number, so I don't seem to have the exact same issue, but I fear I am in the same boat. Do you think this is a hardware problem?

I tried this, and either I did something wrong or it just doesn't work because it didn't fix the problem. I used Matt's utility 1.82 to restore ICS. The restore went fine, but it wouldn't fully boot as expected. I then installed the JB OTA via recovery, but still no 4G. Is there a way to ensure my radio has the right software?

Went to Verizon today. Got a new SIM card. Didn't fix anything as expected. Verizon told me that I am over a year so no warantee and I don't have insurance. So my only option there is a full price replacement or live with 3G until late August when I can get a new phone. Ouch!

Any other ideas? I'm desperate and will try anything. 3G is extremely painful after being 4G.

Thanks!

I started reading this thread earlier today because I couldn't get anything but 3g for the past couple of days. Like you said, my IMEI has a number (unlike BigDaddyHicks) so I was hoping the radio wasn't corrupt. Anyway, my point is mine is back on 4g now. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what I did that fixed it. I hope it stays this way, it's been on 4g for a couple of hours now. I had tried rebooting, and airplane mode on/off, and those didn't work, sometimes it would say 4g for a few seconds to a minute but then it went back to 3g. I tried switching between global and LTE/cdma a couple of times, and pulled out my SIM and wiped it off and those did nothing. I tried to install the motorola restore connectivity app and it wouldn't install, then I tried the LG one and it installed and ran but it crashed at the end and force closed. After all of that I powered the phone off completely and waited a minute and powered it back on and it's been on 4g since. My problem may be completely unrelated to your problem. But if you haven't tried everything that I mentioned you might wanna try them, even the LG restore connectivity app, just to be on the safe side... Good luck!

#23 pltctytc

pltctytc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

i think it was all verizon doing something to their system
i only got 1x off and on for 2 days and no 3g and no one could explain it. last night 3g reappeared magically.
i had 4g through a mvno for past 6 months on razr maxx and they finally caught up last month and now back to 3g. frankly there isn't much difference between lte and 3g around here.... 1x and 3g... big difference

#24 proximous

proximous

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

So I've decided my phone is only MOSTLY broken. Tuesday afternoon I looked at my phone and had 4G. Everything was magically fixed. I had it the rest of the day, and even pressed my luck by toggling airplane mode and rebooting...and still had 4G. Woke up Wednesday morning with 3G and haven't seen 4G since. As I said, my wife has the same RAZR, my daughter has the RAZR M, and I have 2 coworkers with RAZRs...so I am almost always with someone else with a RAZR, and every time I check, they have 4G, so it definitely seems to be a problem with my hardware and not a Verizon issue. So now the only question is to I live with a mostly 3G phone, or buy a used replacement? I'll give it a few more days to see if and how often I get 4G.

#25 ksenter

ksenter

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

So I've decided my phone is only MOSTLY broken. Tuesday afternoon I looked at my phone and had 4G. Everything was magically fixed. I had it the rest of the day, and even pressed my luck by toggling airplane mode and rebooting...and still had 4G. Woke up Wednesday morning with 3G and haven't seen 4G since. As I said, my wife has the same RAZR, my daughter has the RAZR M, and I have 2 coworkers with RAZRs...so I am almost always with someone else with a RAZR, and every time I check, they have 4G, so it definitely seems to be a problem with my hardware and not a Verizon issue. So now the only question is to I live with a mostly 3G phone, or buy a used replacement? I'll give it a few more days to see if and how often I get 4G.

Sorry, that sucks. Thankfully mine is still keeping 4g, so far. Wish me luck. It's been on 4g for just about 24 hours now, so I'm hopeful.

#26 ksenter

ksenter

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Well, crap, why did I have to say that... back on 3g...

Edit: nm, it went back to 4g. Weird.

#27 dstearle

dstearle

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

In Tennessee and Alabama it was a Verizon problem, 4g was down. The system also sent out tornado warnings. Just my luck the night before I flashed jb and the next day Verizon has problems. Man, you talking about really screwing someone up. I was in a daze for 18 hrs. Tried everything! 3x...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#28 nmerc001

nmerc001

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

Update (03/26/2013): For the past 3 days (at least during the afternoons), 4G signal has been pretty solid with very few drops; can't really say what is the root cause of this. Just in the morning hours, I would have a very weak signal or no signal at all. I also noticed that 4G is lost as well if my phone sits idle for long periods of time (nighttime or during work hours).

Whenever I do lose signal, doing the following steps appeared to help in recovering LTE signal:
  • Get to Data Toggle and ensure LTE\CDMA\EvDo is selected. Changed signal mode to LTE\CDMA from phone settings.
  • Clear Application Cache
  • Clear 'Google Services Framework' - don't know why?
  • Toggle Airplane Mode and then re-enable Data
  • *As a last resort, rebooting my phone and clearing 'Cache' appears to have done the trick as well.
This typically will do the trick for me. To say the least, it is very annoying to go through all of that just to get 4G back on my phone. This may be attributed to a bad SIM card that may need to be replaced.

#29 ksenter

ksenter

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:14 AM

Update (03/26/2013): For the past 3 days (at least during the afternoons), 4G signal has been pretty solid with very few drops; can't really say what is the root cause of this. Just in the morning hours, I would have a very weak signal or no signal at all. I also noticed that 4G is lost as well if my phone sits idle for long periods of time (nighttime or during work hours).

Whenever I do lose signal, doing the following steps appeared to help in recovering LTE signal:

• Get to Data Toggle and ensure LTE\CDMA\EvDo is selected. Changed signal mode to LTE\CDMA from phone settings.
  • Clear Application Cache
  • Clear 'Google Services Framework' - don't know why?
  • Toggle Airplane Mode and then re-enable Data
  • *As a last resort, rebooting my phone and clearing 'Cache' appears to have done the trick as well.
This typically will do the trick for me. To say the least, it is very annoying to go through all of that just to get 4G back on my phone. This may be attributed to a bad SIM card that may need to be replaced.

I've noticed that mine still switches to 3g on occasion too, and it does sometimes seem like it's after periods of inactivity, although not always. But I've found if I ignore it and continue doing what I was about to do it eventually automatically switches back to 4g. So, I've decided to just live with it. At least it's not staying on 3g for days at a time like it did shortly after upgrading to JB. Hey Proximous, is yours still broken? Did you end up buying a replacement phone? Just curious.

#30 proximous

proximous

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

I ended up buying a used one on eBay which has very reliable 4G. I've played a bit with my old phone by switching the SIM and I'm still pretty convinced my old phone is broke.

#31 missyuneek

missyuneek

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • Current Device(s):droid razr

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

I found how to get 4g back after update. Settings, to 'more' (under data usage. Make sure press 'more' separately), then 'mobile networks', then 'network mode', select the lte mode. Turn phone off and back on.
This worked immediately for me. Thank God!
Droid RAZR with jb update (unwanted update)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users