• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lutheranpriest

lutheranpriest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

This is a recent annoyance that just started rearing it's ugly head. I live in the boonies, but I have reliable 4G coverage. Lately, on my phone, the data connection randomly switches to 3G. After a few minutes it will occasionally switch back, but sometimes it will only switch back if I switch on Airplane Mode, then switch it back off.

Is there any way to force the phone to stay on 4G mode?

I'm posting this question on XDA also, just to cover all my bases. Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Set your phone to LTE Only using this app:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Downside is you won't be able to make calls or texts probably.
  • lutheranpriest likes this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#3 lutheranpriest

lutheranpriest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. That worked to switch to 4G off of 3G by selecting LTE only, then switching back to LTE/CDMA/EvDo.

If there was a widget to do this, it would make my life so much easier!

Also, Matt, thanks for your work on Batakang. It's become my dd. It's flawless for me! That problem with switching back & forth between 3G & 4G isn't a problem with your rom, it's the same with every rom I've tried.
  • mattlgroff likes this

#4 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:39 AM

Matt, is there a way to adjust the settings of when the phone decides to drop to 3G? Maybe if there was a way to get the phone to "prefer" 4G?

#5 ksenter

ksenter

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:28 AM

I've noticed this too since upgrading to JB. Here's another thread talking about it.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

When mine started it stayed in 3g pretty much for 2 days, except for a few minutes right after rebooting, switching to airplane and back, etc. But eventually something I did helped or it fixed itself because now it does as you're describing where it occasionally switches to 3g but mostly stays in 4g. I've found that it fixes itself eventually if I just ignore it, so far, either a few seconds or several long minutes later it switches back to 4g.

No idea what the cause is. It happened to start a couple of days after upgrading to JB, but it might just be coincidental, who knows.

#6 lutheranpriest

lutheranpriest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

I've resolved the issue. Apparently there is a problem with the logic board. I have two phones, a Razr & a Razr Maxx. (got the Maxx for free from my local undertaker after solving some of his tech issues.) The Maxx has a crack in the digitizer, otherwise it's fine. Anyhow, today I decided to swap SIM cards and see what the signal strength was on the other phone. Sure enough, while stationary at home, the one phone was at -115db or worse, while the other ranged between -93 and -106. Swapped logic boards, and now I'm consistently on 4g at home.

#7 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:49 AM

Glad it's figured out. Marking as solved.

Posted Image

#8 MT021322

MT021322

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationINDONESIA
  • Current Device(s):atrix hd

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

I've resolved the issue. Apparently there is a problem with the logic board. I have two phones, a Razr & a Razr Maxx. (got the Maxx for free from my local undertaker after solving some of his tech issues.) The Maxx has a crack in the digitizer, otherwise it's fine. Anyhow, today I decided to swap SIM cards and see what the signal strength was on the other phone. Sure enough, while stationary at home, the one phone was at -115db or worse, while the other ranged between -93 and -106. Swapped logic boards, and now I'm consistently on 4g at home.

sorry for out of a topic sir...i'm interested with your maxx who has a crack,would u sell it to me?thank"s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users