Photo

About Dev Phones and Rooting, etc.

Front Page Poll Multi-Question Poll

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Developer Devices (218 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You Own a Device that has a Developer Version Offered?

1. Voted Yes (108 votes [49.54%])

Percentage of vote: 49.54%

2. No (76 votes [34.86%])

Percentage of vote: 34.86%

3. Voted Not Sure (34 votes [15.60%])

Percentage of vote: 15.60%

Do You Currently Own a Developer Device?

1. Yes (11 votes [5.05%])

Percentage of vote: 5.05%

2. Voted No (193 votes [88.53%])

Percentage of vote: 88.53%

3. Voted Ummm...I'm not sure?? (14 votes [6.42%])

Percentage of vote: 6.42%

Would You Purchase a Developer Device if it were going to cost you $500-$600+?

1. Yes (19 votes [8.72%])

Percentage of vote: 8.72%

2. Voted No (74 votes [33.94%])

Percentage of vote: 33.94%

3. Well, It REALLY Depends on the Device (109 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Voted WTF is a Developer Device? (16 votes [7.34%])

Percentage of vote: 7.34%

If it became a reality that from today forward, the ONLY way you could unlock, root and rom your device was with a developer device ($500+USD) would you still be into this hobby?

1. Yes (67 votes [30.73%])

Percentage of vote: 30.73%

2. Voted No (35 votes [16.06%])

Percentage of vote: 16.06%

3. Not Sure (28 votes [12.84%])

Percentage of vote: 12.84%

4. Again, the Device Would Have to REALLY Wow Me! (79 votes [36.24%])

Percentage of vote: 36.24%

5. Voted Still have no clue what you mean by Developer Device (9 votes [4.13%])

Percentage of vote: 4.13%

How Many Android Owners (in Your Opinion) Care About Being Rooted, or ROMing?)

1. Almost All of Them (5 votes [2.29%])

Percentage of vote: 2.29%

2. Most of Them (23 votes [10.55%])

Percentage of vote: 10.55%

3. Voted The Average User (26 votes [11.93%])

Percentage of vote: 11.93%

4. Voted Eh, Some Of Them (95 votes [43.58%])

Percentage of vote: 43.58%

5. A Few of Them (31 votes [14.22%])

Percentage of vote: 14.22%

6. It's a Tiny, Little Niche Market, Most People Don't Even Know WTF Rooting IS! (38 votes [17.43%])

Percentage of vote: 17.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

A fun, multi-question poll made for our sites front page. Trying to bring things into perspective.

• zooyork0721 and lyn2727 like this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#2 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

Opinions are ALWAYS welcome, especially pertaining to the LAST question. In all of your opinion just HOW many Android buyers do you think represent out modding community? I bet it's MUCH smaller than most think.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#3 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

I will be honest here, If I had to feed my Family or pay bills, I would just have the normal current non dev phone, at the end of the day its still a phone... However, this is only if I had to buy a dev phone.. Sorry but, maybe I'm too honest.. It's just the truth..

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#4 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

Money is too tight with the economy the way it is. If I had to pay $500-$600 for a phone just to be able to do the stuff I do, there would be no more ROMs, Themes or anything from me anymore. I can't afford that crap and to be honest, they're not worth it. You can do quite a bit with Android phones nowadays without them being rooted.

I own a device that has a developer edition available (RAZR Maxx), but money is the sole reason I didn't get the developer edition and I'll never pay $500-$600 for a phone that should be unlocked in the first place.
  • aktrazer, satman80 and zooyork0721 like this

#5 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

I wouldn't even touch a dev M right now. It seems like there is more development for the retail M, and I got mine for $.01 with my recent upgrade. As for people that care about development, I think it pertains to a majority of Android users. After talking to the guys here at work that have Razrs of some sort, most of them are rooted and running SS with custom ROMs. The guys that are still running stock have talked to me about possibly rooting their phones. I even have one iOS guy that I've convinced to convert when he upgrades. There are over 4 million members of XDA, that just tells me that the interest in development is huge. It's easy, why not do it?
  • Hero_Indeed likes this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#6 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:45 AM

This is a great poll. I'm with BDH, money is tight as it is these days. The economy is in shambles (but recovering, slowly). The average android hobbyist, which encompasses most of our user base, simply can't afford to shell out 500-600 bucks for a dev phone, it's simple math and common sense.

The "well people should buy a dev device" argument does only one thing, hurt the community. This community has been built on ingenuity and it's ability to adapt and evolve as software and hardware changes. If, theoretically, you could ONLY root with a dev device, this community would shrink into obscurity VERY quickly. I've noticed that all the "impossible" root exploits end up being a reality fairly quickly. Also, as we've seen witth he bounties, the community is willing to invest in people like Dan who develop these exploits and make it worth their while. The bounty for HD has been up for a little less that 24 hours and has already reached over 300 bucks. This argument has made me tired and I'm, frankly, sick of hearing that we should all just, basically, go put our head in sand and pony up for a dev device. Doing so would do nothing but shrink this community into nothing.

That being said, I love all of you :)
  • trikotret, disturbed58, satman80 and 1 other like this

Posted Image

#7 Sh0rty 140

Sh0rty 140

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Twitter:@Sh0rtyy_140
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx, Nexus 7

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

You might as well go with an Iphone if this was to happen......lol!!!
"My chick bad, my chick hood.... my chick do stuff that ya chick wish she could!!!!"

#8 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Any developer who says "Go buy a Dev phone if you don't like it" is killing the cause. The ONE WAY we as a community can hurt the OEM's and the Carriers is to NOT support dev phones. Dev phones are their way of "giving us what we want" but not having to have the responsibility of backing their products. By boycotting dev phones and DEMANDING unlocked devices, not verbally but with your purchases, that is the ONLY way we can win this war.

Buying the dev device is a COP OUT. You're playing THEIR GAME (and losing). Buy the locked phone. Hack the Locked phone. WIN.
  • corona63976, lifeisgood, usmcamgrimm and 2 others like this

#9 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Any developer who says "Go buy a Dev phone if you don't like it" is killing the cause. The ONE WAY we as a community can hurt the OEM's and the Carriers is to NOT support dev phones. Dev phones are their way of "giving us what we want" but not having to have the responsibility of backing their products. By boycotting dev phones and DEMANDING unlocked devices, not verbally but with your purchases, that is the ONLY way we can win this war.

Buying the dev device is a COP OUT. You're playing THEIR GAME (and losing). Buy the locked phone. Hack the Locked phone. WIN.

Could not agree more sir! Leave these dev phones alone. They are the OEMs way of saying "here now sit down and shut up." I'm not gonna stand for it and I wish others wouldn't either.
  • tucstwo and corona63976 like this

#10 Daino92

Daino92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Google+:chrisdaino@gmail.com
  • LocationFort Collins
  • Current Device(s):SCH-1535

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

If the only way was root/rom my phone was to buy a dev edition phone, id have to say bye to android for now. I have bills and other stuff to pay for...once i have etra money though...then i'd cave and buy one. But what was said about hacking the "normal" phone... i agree with. :)

#11 Dave12308

Dave12308

"The Don"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,939 posts
  • LocationSchenectady, NY - 518 Represent!
  • Current Device(s):Motorola X 2014 (AT&T - Biggest MISTAKE! i've EVER made), ASUS Padfone X (Thanks, Kaos!)

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

Opinions are ALWAYS welcome, especially pertaining to the LAST question. In all of your opinion just HOW many Android buyers do you think represent out modding community? I bet it's MUCH smaller than most think.

My thoughts as far as that goes are that just like Jailbreaking, it has become more mainstream than it once was and is more common that one may think. However, I think the IMPORTANT question is "How many are interested in rooting/modding AND actually understand what the heck it is". I know a whole slew of folks who are rooted because "some guy told them it would be a good idea".

#12 Dave12308

Dave12308

"The Don"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,939 posts
  • LocationSchenectady, NY - 518 Represent!
  • Current Device(s):Motorola X 2014 (AT&T - Biggest MISTAKE! i've EVER made), ASUS Padfone X (Thanks, Kaos!)

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

Any developer who says "Go buy a Dev phone if you don't like it" is killing the cause. The ONE WAY we as a community can hurt the OEM's and the Carriers is to NOT support dev phones. Dev phones are their way of "giving us what we want" but not having to have the responsibility of backing their products. By boycotting dev phones and DEMANDING unlocked devices, not verbally but with your purchases, that is the ONLY way we can win this war. Buying the dev device is a COP OUT. You're playing THEIR GAME (and losing). Buy the locked phone. Hack the Locked phone. WIN.

Sorry, not going to take ANY chances on buying a locked phone EVER again. Cop out or not, if the ONLY way to get the device I want is to buy the developer edition, i'm doing it. Workarounds such as kexec and the like are NOT acceptable workarounds for a bootloader that cannot be unlocked.

#13 Notc

Notc

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

Agree 100%. The only way I would likely buy one is if I was going to buy off contract anyway to keep unlimited data, but that situation doesn't apply to me.

#14 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

I'll add my 2 cents as well. For me, it's a little like a two edged sword. I have to have decent service both at home and at work on the same carrier. With where I live, VZW is really my only current option. Even at that, my signal is not super strong at my house as well as the path to the main corridor so now equipment comes into play. Moto has the best radios out there IMO. That seriously limits my options on an unlocked bootloader unit.

I do completely understand the points Tucstwo and others have made and agree. One thing that those of us that have purchased a dev edition has done is to discredit the arguement that the carrier presents that unlocked bootloader equipment presents trouble for the network.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#15 trikotret

trikotret

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

If I had to pay $500-$600 for a phone for my crackflashing habits, then it would be the best time to attend Rehab for crackflashers :) I rather spend that money on my family. They come first. :)

#16 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

I'd gladly pay dev prices for a phone - knowing I'd 1) not be losing my unlimited data until I chose to do so myself (or chose to find an alternative), and 2) I'd be getting a phone that I want that I could unlock and modify AND not lose factory warranty.

#17 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

I'd gladly pay dev prices for a phone - knowing I'd 1) not be losing my unlimited data until I chose to do so myself (or chose to find an alternative), and 2) I'd be getting a phone that I want that I could unlock and modify AND not lose factory warranty.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you DO lose factory warranty when you unlock it.

#18 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

For a Developer phone?

#19 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Yes, big ol' letters "Voids factory warranty" when you go to unlock it.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#20 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Yes, big ol' letters "Voids factory warranty" when you go to unlock it.

Thanks for the confirmation :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Front Page Poll, Multi-Question Poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users