Photo

Safestrap Restore Help?

maxx hd safestrap restore troubleshooting

Best Answer BIrONIC , 21 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Have you tried a different SD card? That's really odd that it keeps unmounting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Yep. That's what my 'SD card unexpectedly removed' thread is about.

Anyway, after taking the card out, putting it into my computer, running check disk on it, copying the Safestrap old backup files to it, putting it back into the phone, and trying again, I finally got it done. Whew!

Old Safestrap backup has been restored, and now I'm happily back to where I was before the original Maxx HD got replaced. Yay!  :)

Thanks a lot for your help and advice in this process, guys.
I owe you.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

RESOLVED (sort of): With some help from a couple forum members (shane1 and TjNaps27), I finally managed to get the old Safestrap backup restored to my new Maxx HD. Thanks, guys. Now I just want some answers (from Google/Motorola/Verizon/Whoever) about and a permanent, real fix for the freakin '

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

' problem (which was clearly part of the problem with this restore process for me).

Here's where this thread originally started...

[Sorry if this isn't OK to create in this section. I just thought this was the place for it, since it has to do with Hashcode's Safestrap. If not, please move it and forgive me. Thanks :) ]

First off, I'm not freaking out. I know I just did something wrong, and I will get it taken care of eventually. I just need a little hand-holding...

Any chance you'd be willing to help me out with the restore process?

My Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD just got replaced on a junk-out, because the USB/charging port went bad (Replaced with another brand new Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD that has 4.0.4 from the factory).

Prior to the replacement, I saved a backup with Safestrap on the old one (which was running at Android 4.1.1), and now I'm trying to restore it on the replacement one, but I'm having trouble.

I moved and renamed the folder in which Safestrap originally created the backup (didn't change anything about the individual files' names) to a different place (on my PC), got a new SD card, and copied the files onto the new SD card.

Then, once I had the replacement Maxx HD, I rooted with the Razr HD Utility 1.10, and put Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper on it and backed up SU, and then put Safestrap on it and installed recovery.

Then I booted up to Safestrap and went into the restore option, and at that point, the backup from the old one (which I moved and changed the folder names for) did not displayed.

Just to make sure I knew Safestrap was working, I performed a backup on the replacement one, and then, when I went into 'Restore', that new backup shows up (So, it's working).

That made me think that renaming the folders and/or moving them may have messed up permissions or something. So, I checked the chmod permissions by looking at all of the folders and files in Root Explorer, but they all look the same on all folders and files in both backup sets.

Then, I moved the files of the new, test backup out of the 'stock-????' folder, and moved the files from the old backup in there. When I booted up to Safestrap then, the old backup showed up.

Then, I chose to restore the old backup, and for the most part, it looked like it worked (including restoring 'system' and both data archives), but then when I rebooted the system (multiple times now), it gets to the default startup animation (with no sound), and just stays there with the animation running.

I then wiped system and internal storage and went through the restore process again, but resulted in the same thing.

Now, I assume I missed something (either by general ignorance, or perhaps even not following instructions completely).
So, I'm going back through the instructions. I just don't see it right off the top.

Would you/anyone be willing to troubleshoot this with me (or simply point me in the right direction)?

Edit: during the restore, just after it said "done restoring" for the system part, it said,
"E:Unable to unmount /system", and then it went on to restore the data part.

I didn't know why that would be a problem, but I suspect it may be the clue that I'm supposed to learn from.....just not sure what...

Also, when I click the command prompt icon at bottom center of the Safestrap screen, I see the following text...
E:unknown volume for path [/]

Oh... here's a screenshot from the restore process...

231.4KB   46 downloads

#2 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

UPDATE:

I restored the Safestrap backup that I made earlier during testing, and now I have it back to the state it was in before I started trying to do the restore mentioned above. So, at least it's a working phone for now (except that, in Safestrap, it still says "E:unknown volume for path [/]"), but I still want to restore the backup I made on the original Maxx HD.

What I know now...
Since it worked to restore this test backup, I sort of think I'm actually doing the process correctly, but I'm still not sure.

Any pointers for helping me to restore the backup from my original Maxx HD onto this replacement one?

#3 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Twitter:1shane15
  • Google+:shanebarone1@gmail.com (gtalk/hangouts)
  • Locationny
  • Current Device(s):Gen 2 Moto X,2015 Moto X Pure,N9, N7,& N6

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

did you look for the old backup while in recovery? i know sometimes when transfering from my computer to my phone some stuff would get misplaced and a couple times just straight up lost lol
Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#4 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

did you look for the old backup while in recovery? i know sometimes when transfering from my computer to my phone some stuff would get misplaced and a couple times just straight up lost lol

I'm not sure I understand your question.
In my OP I said that I was able to restore the backup. So, I'm not having any trouble finding it.

The problem is that, after restoring it, the phone gets stuck at the start-up animation.

#5 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Oh my bad I misread did you try wiping a couple times some people say that works, how long did you let it sit at startup
Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#6 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

Oh my bad I misread did you try wiping a couple times some people say that works

No, but I will if you think that may help.
Let me see if I know what you mean....

* Boot into Safestrap
* Wipe both system and internal storage multiple times each
* restore from backup
* reboot

Is that what you mean?

#7 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

wipe cache, dalvik cache,factory reset and system. some people say do them a coupe times than after flash wipe dalvik cache
  • BIrONIC likes this
Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#8 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

wipe cache, dalvik cache,factory reset and system. some people say do them a coupe times than after flash wipe dalvik cache

Oh....I never knew I needed to do a factory reset during the restore process. It doesn't say anything about that in the instructions.

So, is that really supposed to be part of a normal restore process with Safestrap, or just something that people have tried after running into problems?

#9 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

not really sure ive just always done it with ss. i had an issue when ss first came out and that was the problem so i always do it hope it works let me know
Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#10 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

not really sure ive just always done it with ss. i had an issue when ss first came out and that was the problem so i always do it hope it works let me know

OK, cool. I just wasn't sure if it would be OK (sort of green at this level)....didn't know if SS would still be there after a factory reset :lol:
I will give that sequence you suggested a try and let you know.

#11 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

you can do just about anything with safestrap and as long as you dont mess with stock youll always have that to fall back on lol
Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#12 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

you can do just about anything with safestrap and as long as you dont mess with stock youll always have that to fall back on lol

Ya...see....that's part of my problem. I'm not actually sure I even know exactly what that means.
I understand that there are slots that we can put other ROMs in, but I haven't used any of them.

So far, I simply just backed up my system and data parts on my original Maxx HD, and then tried to restore them to this replacement Maxx HD. I haven't done anything else with SS yet at all.

Should I have?
It wasn't clear enough I guess, and since I do also have a good Titanium backup, I decided to try the SS route, because I think it's a more precise way of transferring a system from one phone to another, especially when they are both the exact same hardware.

#13 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

did you create a rom slot?
Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#14 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

did you create a rom slot?

No. I thought that was only needed if I wanted to put an alternate ROM on the device. I'm not looking to do that. I simply want to restore my old system.

Both devices are exactly the same, and I just want to restore a backup that I saved on the old/bad one to this new/replacement one.

#15 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

its possible on stock side on some versions of ss but i dont know which ones or the protocol to do it but i think that could be the problem
Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#16 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

Aha. So, I should create a ROM slot and restore the backup to that?

#17 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

im pretty sure thats the problem
Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#18 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

damn the suspense is killing me lol
Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#19 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

haha, I'm working on it. I had to go eat dinner, and now I'm getting back to it.
First, just for kicks, I'm restoring the backup that I made on this replacement device just after rooting it. I just want to make sure I know that still works before I try the alternate ROM slot thing...

#20 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

OK....now it looks like there are more problems going on here...

When I do a factory reset, I get this...
Wiping data without wiping /data/media

When I try to wipe internal storage, I get this...
E:unknown volume for path [datamedia]

When I try to format data, I get this...
E:Unable to format data.

What's going on here?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: maxx hd, safestrap, restore, troubleshooting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users