Photo

Safestrap Restore Help?

maxx hd safestrap restore troubleshooting

Best Answer BIrONIC , 21 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Have you tried a different SD card? That's really odd that it keeps unmounting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Yep. That's what my 'SD card unexpectedly removed' thread is about.

Anyway, after taking the card out, putting it into my computer, running check disk on it, copying the Safestrap old backup files to it, putting it back into the phone, and trying again, I finally got it done. Whew!

Old Safestrap backup has been restored, and now I'm happily back to where I was before the original Maxx HD got replaced. Yay!  :)

Thanks a lot for your help and advice in this process, guys.
I owe you.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#41 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Unlocking won't hurt after you unlock make a backup reboot then install twrp or clockwork recovery then make another backup then try to restore your old backup. good luck

OK, cool.
Now....I used CWM Recovery on my Bionic when I had that, but I don't see one for the Maxx HD. Is there just a generic one that I can use? Also, I don't see TWRP in the app store. Should I just check the forums for that one?

Did you take the OTA? You said the old backup was on 4.1.1, and the replacement was 4.04, is that correct?

The original Maxx HD was at 4.1.1, fully rooted with Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper (with su backed up), and Safestrap Recovery installed. I saved a backup of it in that state, and that is the backup that I was trying to restore to the new, replacment Maxx HD. That's when all of this started.

This time around, on the replacement one, I have never yet taken an OTA update, and in fact, since I used 'the Utility' to get it back to a good, working 4.0.4 state, I haven't rooted yet. I plan on doing that this weekend.
  • shane1 likes this

#42 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:tjnaps27
  • Current Device(s):"Dan" Edition Razr Maxx HD

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

I believe your problem with everything is that you're leaving the HD you have now on 4.0.4. I believe the kernels on 404 and 411 are different. So even if you unlock and restore your 411 backup you're going to run into more problems. I would suggest taking otas all the way to 412. Since now you can root that and unlock the phone and start from scratch.
  • shane1 likes this

#43 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

I believe your problem with everything is that you're leaving the HD you have now on 4.0.4. I believe the kernels on 404 and 411 are different. So even if you unlock and restore your 411 backup you're going to run into more problems. I would suggest taking otas all the way to 412. Since now you can root that and unlock the phone and start from scratch.

I thought I heard that, if I intend to unlock, I should never ever ever take another OTA.
Also, while I was on 4.1.1, I thought I heard that, in order to root, I should do it before going to 4.1.2.

Beyond all of that, I thought that a backup made with Safestrap made which version I'm on irrelevant, and that I would be able to easily get my new/replacement phone back up to where the old one was simply by restoring the backup.

Have I misunderstood Safestrap's capabilities?

#44 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Yes you have a misunderstanding of ss. It doesn't back up your kernel.
If you really cherish that backup you made. Just use voodoo and go to 411 and your backup will work. As for unlocking your phone. I suggest you do a lot of reading in this forum so you don't really mess up your phone. With an unlocked boot loader and a real recover like twrp and cwm you can flash and backup kernels and restore kernels. The steps are tricky but I figured it out in 2 days by lots of reading
  • BIrONIC likes this

#45 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

When you use safe strap you'll notice it backs up system data and cache. And restores the same. If you use twrp when unlocked you'll see the added "boot" option which is your kernel
  • BIrONIC and shane1 like this

#46 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Yes. I was mistaken, and I really appreciate the upload of new data to work with ;)

I will do as you say......i.e. either research it enough and learn enough about it first, or just won't unlock. Thanks, bud.
I'll report back here after I finally get around to doing the restore.
Thanks, guys.
  • shane1 likes this

#47 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

just been reading through more of the forums and read some things that might help you.
so unlocking is definitely the way to go, now if you do go to whatever system version you want either 411 or 412 even with an unlocked bootloader you can still go on using safestrap and using your rom slots as long as whatever rom you're using matches your system version. just like before until you do some research, because as of now there's not much to with an unlocked bootloader anyway. and if you screw anything up, now that you're unlocked you can use rsdlite to fxz to whatever version you want. there's no restrictions anymore, your razr utility you used to get to 4.0.4 will always work now. also, you will never need to take another ota update ever again either, even if you find out that the razr is getting 4.2.2 tomorrow, now that you'd be unlocked you can use a 4.2.2 fxz file to rsdlite to update. see what i'm saying?
it's only really tricky because all the roms out now have no boot.img aka kernels in them so safestrap does not and can not back them up or restore them. and i'm pretty sure now that we all are unlocked most if not all roms will be putting them in, that's where twrp and cwm recovery comes in. they are true recoveries that DO back up and restore boot.img files.

hope this helps a ton for you, took me a lot of reading to figure all that out

#48 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Twitter:1shane15
  • Google+:shanebarone1@gmail.com (gtalk/hangouts)
  • Locationny
  • Current Device(s):Gen 2 Moto X,2015 Moto X Pure,N9, N7,& N6

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

damn i wish i could been that much help. sry
Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#49 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

just been reading through more of the forums and read some things that might help you.
so unlocking is definitely the way to go, now if you do go to whatever system version you want either 411 or 412 even with an unlocked bootloader you can still go on using safestrap and using your rom slots as long as whatever rom you're using matches your system version. just like before until you do some research, because as of now there's not much to with an unlocked bootloader anyway. and if you screw anything up, now that you're unlocked you can use rsdlite to fxz to whatever version you want. there's no restrictions anymore, your razr utility you used to get to 4.0.4 will always work now. also, you will never need to take another ota update ever again either, even if you find out that the razr is getting 4.2.2 tomorrow, now that you'd be unlocked you can use a 4.2.2 fxz file to rsdlite to update. see what i'm saying?
it's only really tricky because all the roms out now have no boot.img aka kernels in them so safestrap does not and can not back them up or restore them. and i'm pretty sure now that we all are unlocked most if not all roms will be putting them in, that's where twrp and cwm recovery comes in. they are true recoveries that DO back up and restore boot.img files.

hope this helps a ton for you, took me a lot of reading to figure all that out

That's great. Yes. This definitely helps ...a lot.
Thanks, a bunch!

damn i wish i could been that much help. sry

Dude, man....you helped me a lot too.

We're all at different places, with different things that we're more knowledgable on, and we help each other out with what we can.
This is EXACTLY why we have these forums.

Thanks, guys.
Again, even though where I'm about to go is a bit beyond the original scope of this thread, I will come back and report on my progress, at least as it relates to my attempts to get this old backup restored...
  • shane1 likes this

#50 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

glad to help, need anything else answered you can find me on twitter @tjnaps27 :)

#51 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

Before I move on to unlocking the bootloader (which I'm pretty sure I'll do when the time is right), I want to run through this Safestrap restore again, and do it right this time. It can't hurt to get some more practice with this stuff. So, below I'm going to list the steps that I think I'm going to take. Please let me know if you spot anything goofy, or if you have any suggestions.

First off, it's sitting now at 4.0.4, but it hasn't yet prompted me to download or install any updates. This is not a problem, but I'm just mentioning it.
When I got the original one, it started out at 4.1.1. At one time, and update came out (9.16.6), and I just let it sit, and never installed it (just kept telling it to wait another 12 hours), because I wasn't sure what it would do (hadn't done any reading up on it to find out what the update was for or anything).

Now that I'm not being automatically prompted for updates, I suppose that might mean that I will need to download them from somewhere.
If there's a good, known safe resource, which is the best place to get them?
Meanwhile, right at this moment, I'm going to do the update check from 'About', and see if anything comes up (I won't actually install any until I've rooted though).

Here are the steps I'm going to follow...

1. use the Razr HD Utility 1.10 to root

2. use the Razr HD Utility 1.10 to install Voodoo OTA RootKeeper (and save a backup of su with it)

3. use the Razr HD Utility 1.10 to install Safestrap

4. Upgrade (somehow=?) all the way up to 4.1.1
(Will I need to temp-unroot to get the updates up to 4.1.1?)

Once I'm back to a rooted state on 4.1.1...

5. Boot to Safestrap recovery

6. Restore my old backup
(Do I need to create a ROM slot for this kind of restore, or can I just simply do the restore?)
  • shane1 likes this

#52 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Sounds about right. Although I would skip step 3. Just go to goo.im to devs/hashcode/vanquish and grab the safe strap from there.
If you just root 404 and install voodoo you should be able to grab all the updates from system/about phone.
And what I did (not sure if you have to) after every time I updated I restored root with voodoo, checked a rooted app like ROM toolbox that granted super user access to verify. Then temp unrooted and went to the next update.
And if your backup was from the stock unsafe side there's no need to make a ROM slot.
And an FYI. I believe that ever time you install safe strap it makes a new backup folder on your SD card.
So when you check your SD you'll go to twrp/backups then you'll see a folder with a bunch of letters and numbers.
I think you figured that one out in an earlier post. That's why initially in safe strap you won't see the old backup file when you try to restore. When you get to that point (on 4.1.1 rooted with safe strap) you might have to run a test backup first so it generates that folder. Then of course just swap your original backup in that new folder.
That should cover it. Any other questions just pm me and I'd be happy to help you along.

Sent from my "Dan" edition RAZR MAXX HD

• BIrONIC likes this

#53 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

Thanks, bud.
I haven't had a chance to do anything on the restore project yet this weekend, because I was busy yesterday and then today, I was dealing with

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• shane1 likes this

#54 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

Silly question.
Just read your problem with the SD card. But are you sure its installed correctly? With the new razrs you can't just slide it in and put the sim card cover back on.
What I had to do was use the small pointed tool they give you with the phone and carefully push the SD card all the way in until it clicks onto the slot.
I'm curious to know if you've tried that.

#55 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

Silly question.
Just read your problem with the SD card. But are you sure its installed correctly? With the new razrs you can't just slide it in and put the sim card cover back on.
What I had to do was use the small pointed tool they give you with the phone and carefully push the SD card all the way in until it clicks onto the slot.
I'm curious to know if you've tried that.

Yep. Definitely did that. The opposite side of the 'pin' is actually designed and intended for exactly this task.

p.s. Still haven't done anything yet....been busy and distracted.

#56 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

OK, I finally have some time to dedicate to this, and I'm going to do this thing this morning.

1. use the Razr HD Utility 1.10 to root (I'm still on 4.0.4)

2. use the Razr HD Utility 1.10 to install Voodoo OTA RootKeeper (and save a backup of su with it)

3. install Safestrap from apk file stored on SD

4. Upgrade all the way up to 4.1.1
(i.e. like TjNaps27 suggested

)

6. Attempt to restore my old Safestrap backup (from before my Maxx HD got replaced with a new one)

...and see how that goes.

I need to go do some laundry.....any last minute suggestions?

• shane1 likes this

#57 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Twitter:1shane15
  • Google+:shanebarone1@gmail.com (gtalk/hangouts)
  • Locationny
  • Current Device(s):Gen 2 Moto X,2015 Moto X Pure,N9, N7,& N6

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Cross your fingers and good luck 

• BIrONIC likes this
Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#58 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Sounds like a plan. Lol. Although I'd wait till you're all the way to 4.1.1 rooted before you install safe strap. Sometimes if you install recover before taking an ota it might mess it up. Other than that. Looks good

#59 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

OK, I finally have some time to dedicate to this, and I'm going to do this thing this morning.

1. use the Razr HD Utility 1.10 to root (I'm still on 4.0.4)

3. install Safestrap from apk file stored on SD

4. Upgrade all the way up to 4.1.1
(i.e. like TjNaps27 suggested

)

6. Attempt to restore my old Safestrap backup (from before my Maxx HD got replaced with a new one)

...and see how that goes.

I need to go do some laundry.....any last minute suggestions?

OK, I did steps 1 through 3 so far, and it all appeared to go just fine.

Then, I added a step, just for kicks...

3a. Use Safestrap to save a backup of how it sits right now, in this newly rooted state. Not that I'll ever actually use this backup necessarily, but mainly just to run through the motions and make sure it's all working, etc.

Oddness continues...

This time, when I went into Safestrap recovery to do the backup, it posted the same message on the screen just before starting the backup process...
"E:unknown volume for path [/]"

Is that as odd to anyone else as it is to me, or is that normal?

Anyway, I'm moving on to step 4 in the list now...

• shane1 likes this

#60 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Pretty sure that unknown volume message is normal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: maxx hd, safestrap, restore, troubleshooting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users