#142 Beanerman

Beanerman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Current Device(s):RazrM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

After publishing yesterday's Motorola bootloader unlock tool, I feel bad that some people are running the unrooted 4.1.2 build for Razr HD. Let's fix that.

This exploit will root the Razr HD, Razr Maxx HD, Atrix HD, Photon Q, and Razr M, regardless of what build they're running. While these are the only supported Motorola devices, it will also root lots of other non-Motorola devices...feel free to try it and see. ;-)

But first, I thought I'd reflect a bit on the state of the rooting/modding community and my involvement in it. I published my first Android root exploit almost two years ago for the Droid 3 (it also re-rooted a number of other earlier devices). Since then, I've rooted every major Motorola device that's been released, including the Bionic, Razr (multiple times), Droid 4, Xoom 2, Atrix HD (multiple times), Razr HD, and Razr M. With the release of this exploit, every major Motorola device in existence has a viable public root method, and the most recent models now have an unlocked bootloader.

I see this as the end of an era for Motorola rooting and modding. At this point, it is significantly more difficult to find vulnerabilities that may be used to root Motorola devices than when I started two years ago, due to fixes for the all the bugs used in previous exploits. It has gotten to the point where there may not be a "next time" for publishing a Motorola root exploit. Of course vulnerabilities still exist, but as the pool of bugs shrinks, the number of people capable of finding them grows smaller and the time investment required increases. As a result, I have no plans to continue publishing Motorola root exploits after this release.

I have hopes that the acquisition of Motorola by Google will gradually lead to changes in policy allowing more open devices. If it doesn't, I encourage everyone to speak with your wallets when purchasing your devices: if an unlocked device is important to you, buy an unlocked device instead of expecting someone to accomplish a difficult hack.

The Motochopper exploit is attached to this thread. It may be used as follows:

• Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
  • If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Motorola USB drivers available for your phone.
  • Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
  • If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute "run.bat". If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute "./run.sh".
As always, future OTA updates may remove the ability to regain root access, so proceed with caution when updating. Enjoy!

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I just have to say BUMMER on your "ending of an era". You sir have been an emphatic contribution and developer in our community's. Without you, most of us would be stuck with stock rules and regulations with no chance of modifying anything to our liking.

Thank you for this, worked perfect on my wifes RazrM btw, and all you, and several other Devs do. I understand the work involved, the hours spent, the stress of testing,testing, and more testing; just to get this stuff to work and out to the public. So again Thank You! I will be donating ASAP.

#143 hfyuygyf

hfyuygyf

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

Hey, can someone help me with this? I'm trying to unlock my Droid Razr M for At&t with the use of a program called motopocalypse, and to do that, I believe that I have to root it first. motofail2go and motochopper haven't worked for me. They get stuck at "Pushing exploit..." or they repetitively say that the device isn't found. Can someone please help? I'm running Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate 

And yes, I have downloaded and extracted the downloaded files. And yes, I have ensured that I have the latest update. And yes I have developer tools on and USB debugging on. 

I've tried using apps like Superuser to no avail. The apps would just tell me that they need to be updated, and will refuse to update when I let it. 

#144 mugneto08

mugneto08

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:55 AM

#145 zimmy

zimmy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

I decided to try using the Motochopper exploit from my work computer since it didn't work from my home pc.

SO.... our corporate antivirus software wouldn't let me extract the files, saying there is a trojan virus in the pwn file?
Any clue why that would be? Is the AV software mis-identifying something? (Or did I just install a virus on my home PC?)

Mark

#146 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

I decided to try using the Motochopper exploit from my work computer since it didn't work from my home pc.

SO.... our corporate antivirus software wouldn't let me extract the files, saying there is a trojan virus in the pwn file?
Any clue why that would be? Is the AV software mis-identifying something? (Or did I just install a virus on my home PC?)

Mark

The pwn file is safe for your PC.  There are a couple of av's that flag it.  You can ignore it.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#147 Beanerman

Beanerman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Current Device(s):RazrM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Hey, can someone help me with this? I'm trying to unlock my Droid Razr M for At&t with the use of a program called motopocalypse, and to do that, I believe that I have to root it first. motofail2go and motochopper haven't worked for me. They get stuck at "Pushing exploit..." or they repetitively say that the device isn't found. Can someone please help? I'm running Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate

And yes, I have downloaded and extracted the downloaded files. And yes, I have ensured that I have the latest update. And yes I have developer tools on and USB debugging on.

I've tried using apps like Superuser to no avail. The apps would just tell me that they need to be updated, and will refuse to update when I let it.

Do u have adb drivers and the latest SDK on your PC? I have windows 7 64bit ultimate also and had no problems with this one for 4.1.2, and used motofail2go for JB on 4.1.1 with no problem. Used them on 2 different M's.
I did have to factory reset the 1 with 4.1.2 though to get it to work. Don't know why.
Now, if u r on 4.0.4(ICS) there is a different motofail for that also.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#148 eagle2

eagle2

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

failed on bionic as well...

#149 grant

grant

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

I have hopes that the acquisition of Motorola by Google will gradually lead to changes in policy allowing more open devices. If it doesn't, I encourage everyone to speak with your wallets when purchasing your devices: if an unlocked device is important to you, buy an unlocked device instead of expecting someone to accomplish a difficult hack.

djrbliss you speak wisely.  I will take this advice to heart.

#150 Rapitharian

Rapitharian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:33 AM

djrbliss

I have hopes that the acquisition of Motorola by Google will gradually lead to changes in policy allowing more open devices. If it doesn't, I encourage everyone to speak with your wallets when purchasing your devices: if an unlocked device is important to you, buy an unlocked device...

In refereance to the above quote, who has unlocked devices?

Thanks for providing direction.

-Rap

#151 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,370 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

djrbliss

In refereance to the above quote, who has unlocked devices?

Thanks for providing direction.

-Rap

Me.  Droid RAZR HD thanks to this root exploit and Motoapocalypse from Dan. :D  However, your question is who SELLS unlocked devices.  Samsung and Motorola have developer versions of their phones.  They cost the same as paying full retail price for a non-developer version of the same phone.  But you can officially unlock them.  My next phone will without any doubt be unlockable.  

Non potest esse nisi unus

#152 romma1

romma1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr M

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

Awesome!!! I am rooted.. I am nervous about the next steps to unlocking, custom recovery and what order I need to proceed to install custom roms. This is a lot different than my last two HTC phones.

#153 romma1

romma1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr M

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

Donation to follow soon!

#154 Rapitharian

Rapitharian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

Me.  Droid RAZR HD thanks to this root exploit and Motoapocalypse from Dan. :D  However, your question is who SELLS unlocked devices.  Samsung and Motorola have developer versions of their phones.  They cost the same as paying full retail price for a non-developer version of the same phone.  But you can officially unlock them.  My next phone will without any doubt be unlockable.  

Being an owner of a Bionic I do wish to "vote with my wallet."  So is my only choice to pay $700 - $800 for a developer phone or does someone like HTC offer phones that are more "open."

Thanks,

Rap

#155 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,370 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

Verizon makes it very difficult.  They do not wish for subsidized phones to be unlockable so they're very difficult to find.  Samsung has had their bootloader cracked on the S3 and Note 2.  Moto has had theirs cracked on the Atrix HD, RAZR M, and RAZR HD (inc maxx).  Strictly speaking, VZW is not pleased at this and it does void your warranty instantly.  But it's a great way to keep root going forward.  Flash a new recovery like TWRP and then Koush's Superuser, for example, can use open recovery to flash the su binary.  Root complete.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#156 dontmindme

dontmindme

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

so, I used the tool on my at&t atrix hd, because after the 4.1 update ota root keeper didn't save the root to jelly bean (had superuser, but no root prompts)
This tool claimed complete success, yet now I have two superusers (one with blue and white #, other with pirate android head). problem; is, still no root prompt, and the binaries appear out of date (3.0.3.2). the phone is essentially unrooted because of no prompts (however, previously when there were apps associated with superuser, they still worked, i only had problems with new prompts)

what can I do to fix this? does anyone know what happened? I would greatly appreciate any help. If you need more info, feel free to ask.

Does anyone have an answer? I could really use help... as of right now I can't delete superuser or use root, so I have no warranty and no root. If someone knows about this please help...

#157 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

Does anyone have an answer? I could really use help... as of right now I can't delete superuser or use root, so I have no warranty and no root. If someone knows about this please help...

flash your system.img - then run the root again

If you don't have it, you should be able to find the correct xml file here to pull it from - 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• shane1 likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#158 marvincarroll

marvincarroll

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):droid razr hd

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

im having troubles with the notification bar now being gone and the soft keys are gone.. and it also says the system ui is not working did i do something wrong somehow?

#159 bryce

bryce

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

Hey guys, I downloaded the zip, extracted it, ran the Windows batch file, and got stuck on the "daemon started successfully" part for awhile.

Then I downloaded driver updates and it went past that part until the end, but no matter how many times I run it I keep getting the same failure on the screen:

[*] Motochopper: Android root exploit (Windows version)
[*] v1.0
[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
[*]
[*] Tested on the Motorola Razr HD, Razr M, Razr Maxx HD, and Atrix HD.
[*] Supports lots of other devices as well. ;-)
[*]
[*] Before continuing, ensure that USB debugging is enabled, that you
[*] have the latest USB drivers installed, and that your phone
[*] is connected via USB.
[*]
[*] WARNING: This will likely void the warranty on your device. I am
[*] not responsible for any damage to your phone as a result using this
[*] tool.
[*]
[*] Press enter to root your phone...
Press any key to continue . . .
[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
[*] Device found.
[*] Pushing exploit...
3387 KB/s (1283460 bytes in 0.370s)
[*] Pushing root tools...
3036 KB/s (366952 bytes in 0.118s)
3327 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.548s)
3307 KB/s (1578585 bytes in 0.466s)
        pkg: /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS]
[*] Rooting phone...
[+] This may take a few minutes.
[-] Failure.
[*] Cleaning up...
[*] Exploit complete. Press enter to reboot and exit.
Press any key to continue . . .

I have bluestacks, but would that affect this?

#160 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:59 AM

Yes I believe it does.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic