Photo

Installing new ROMS with TWRP

Best Answer tmyinc , 09 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

Just the Energy Rom with a few modifications I made to it

Energy rom would not boot for me in TWRP or CWM. Seems to oonly work in safestrap. I got Flying Jelly to boot in both TWRP and CWM. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Blahman

Blahman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:55 AM

Also, I think mhouse posted the files over in his "DST ROM" thread. There are zips that are flashable through recovery or fastboot. Personally, I would just use Matt's utility and start from scratch. I just did this and everything is cherry now.

Would that be option 1?  If so, that would put your M back to stock?

• neckchop likes this

#22 timpohladthomas

timpohladthomas

OSE DEVELOPER

• Developer
  • 1,428 posts
  • Twitter:@timpohladthomas
  • Current Device(s):MOTO X

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

Keep getting a Status 7 failure when trying to install the new M RAGE ROM.  I mount system, wipe everything, mount system install, and I get Status 7.  Also, i flashed a boot.img beforehand.  Any ideas?

PDbEXCr.png

Thank Zoo/Owain for my Awesome Sig! If you want to support the Build Server that helps keep OSE going, Click HERE!

#23 brandon71

brandon71

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Google+:tbd7171@gmail.com
  • LocationKodak, TN
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr M

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

Keep getting a Status 7 failure when trying to install the new M RAGE ROM. I mount system, wipe everything, mount system install, and I get Status 7. Also, i flashed a boot.img beforehand. Any ideas?

I've been getting that trying to flash trippin beam I'm not sure what it is probably something to do with the boot.img

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#24 neckchop

neckchop

pluh!

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Locationatlantic City
  • Current Device(s):razr HD, razr m, note 10.1

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

Also, I think mhouse posted the files over in his "DST ROM" thread. There are zips that are flashable through recovery or fastboot. Personally, I would just use Matt's utility and start from scratch. I just did this and everything is cherry now.

Would that be option 1?  If so, that would put your M back to stock?

That's correct. I've done it a few times now. It'll reset you to stock, at which point you'll have to reroot using option 2. Then the last thing you have left to do is install a new recovery, as the utility will flash the stock Motorola recovery back on to your device. Don't worry about unlocking the boot loader a second time, it will remain unlocked through the process.

#25 Blahman

Blahman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

So Matt's utility has the stock image (ROM) in with the program?

Thank you for your help.

#26 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

So Matt's utility has the stock image (ROM) in with the program?

Thank you for your help.

Yes.  It will reset your phone to completely stock.  It's far easier than using RSD to fastboot back to stock. 

• Blahman likes this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#27 wapiti_j

wapiti_j

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Current Device(s):nexus7, razrm

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

So I have bootloader unlocked, CWM recovery installed, rooted.  I was on Safestrap before bootloader unlock, running Energy ROM on Stock slot.  After bootloader unlock, I flashed CM10.  I didn't like it as well, I used the RSD lite app to get back to stock.  Assured Root, Bootloader is still unlocked, CWM installed.  I cannot flash any ROM.  I always get the following:

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

E:Can't open /external_sd/EnergyROM_RAZRM_03.14.2013.zip

(bad)

Installation aborted

Happens no matter what ROM it is.  I can create backups, but not to external sd.  It goes through the motions but I cannot find a recovery.  I originally was running TWRP recovery, getting similar issues, thought it was the recovery and switched to CWM.  Still doing it.  

Any ideas?

#28 brandon71

brandon71

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Google+:tbd7171@gmail.com
  • LocationKodak, TN
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr M

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

So I have bootloader unlocked, CWM recovery installed, rooted.  I was on Safestrap before bootloader unlock, running Energy ROM on Stock slot.  After bootloader unlock, I flashed CM10.  I didn't like it as well, I used the RSD lite app to get back to stock.  Assured Root, Bootloader is still unlocked, CWM installed.  I cannot flash any ROM.  I always get the following:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E:Can't open /external_sd/EnergyROM_RAZRM_03.14.2013.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted

Happens no matter what ROM it is.  I can create backups, but not to external sd.  It goes through the motions but I cannot find a recovery.  I originally was running TWRP recovery, getting similar issues, thought it was the recovery and switched to CWM.  Still doing it.  

Any ideas?

I would try going back to stock again using matts utility

#29 wapiti_j

wapiti_j

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

I would try going back to stock again using matts utility

Ugh. Just ran it again. Installed TWRP, still cannot flash anything.

#30 wapiti_j

wapiti_j

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

I ran matts utility back to stock.  Then rooted.  Installed SS and flashed Energy, backup, restored to stock slot, Bootloader was unlocked, but I ran the unlocking again.  (I really think this re-locked the bootloader?)  Installed TWRP 2.3.2.3 with

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

but could not flash a thing.  Couldn't find su in my apps.  Attempted to root again with Matts utility and it would not stick.  So I used Motochopper .  That worked.  Still couldn't flash anything.  On a whim and frustrated, I re-ran the bootloader unlock program from above.  Viola, no more problems.  I am now happily running Rage!  

Could RSD back to stock be resetting the bootloader?  I know the "unlocked bootloader" screen was still displaying, but it didn't act appropriate.  Just a thought. 

#31 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

RSDing back to stock won't re-lock your bootloader.  I'm not sure why Motofail wouldn't get you root. As for the ROMs, Rage has been fixed to work with TWRP, Energy has not. You can get Energy to work on TWRP by making a backup in SS, then restoring the backup in TWRP. 

• neckchop likes this

#32 timpohladthomas

timpohladthomas

OSE DEVELOPER

• Developer
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

RSDing back to stock won't re-lock your bootloader.  I'm not sure why Motofail wouldn't get you root. As for the ROMs, Rage has been fixed to work with TWRP, Energy has not. You can get Energy to work on TWRP by making a backup in SS, then restoring the backup in TWRP. 

I also posted a method of replacing updater scripts and updater binary and all stock ROMs will work with TWRP/CWM
  • neckchop and RikRong like this

PDbEXCr.png

Thank Zoo/Owain for my Awesome Sig! If you want to support the Build Server that helps keep OSE going, Click HERE!

#33 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

I also posted a method of replacing updater scripts and updater binary and all stock ROMs will work with TWRP/CWM

You can do that^^^ too.

We need to get these incorporated into all the ROMs and have them updated.  Life would be so much easier. ;)

#34 timpohladthomas

timpohladthomas

OSE DEVELOPER

• Developer
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

You can do that^^^ too.

We need to get these incorporated into all the ROMs and have them updated.  Life would be so much easier. ;)

That is a true statement.

PDbEXCr.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users