56 replies to this topic

#1 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Since there's no thread detailing how to do this yet (although many of us know how) I'll make a quick post detailing how to install TWRP on your HD/MAXX. These instructions obviously work on anything with an unlocked bootloader but the recovery file I'll be linking to is for the RAZR HD/MAXX.

1) Unlock your bootloader if you have not already done so. Instructions

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

. - Note: This will VOID YOUR WARRANTY - Credit Dan Rosenberg
1a) Delete or rename install-recovery.sh found in the system/etc folder (Some people have encountered an issue where they can't boot into recovery. I haven't encountered the issue but this resolves it.)
2) Download

file - (This is the most current vanquish recovery available at the time of this post) - Credit: Hashcode
3) Boot your phone into fastboot mode (with the phone off hold all 3 power/volume + and - until your see the boot screen and select fastboot or alternatively open up a terminal with the phone booted and run "su" to gain root access then "reboot bootloader")
4) Plug your phone into your computer (duh).
5) Open a command prompt and have your fastboot and file downloaded above in the same folder (easiest way is to shift right click the folder you have them in and open command prompt so you don't have to manually navigate there).
6) Run the following command: fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.5.0.0-recovery-vanquish.img
7) Run the following command (or press power to power down the phone): fastboot reboot
8) Profit

Now whenever you boot into recovery you'll be greeted with TWRP 2.5.0.0

Note: If you get an unknown command error during fastboot grab the fastboot executable from Dan's bootloader unlock file. That's the one that works for modern Snapdragon devices if you didn't already have it.

Thank you big time to Dan Rosenberg, Hashcode and the rest of the development community for your hard work on these devices.

- ArcaneXVI
  • tucstwo, Xelios and smokestace like this

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#2 markymarkmark12345

markymarkmark12345

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationDavenport, IA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD, Droid Razr

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

i'm having a problem where in the terminal on the phone when i put in "su reboot bootloader" it replies with "sh:bootloader: not found" and also when i go into fastboot mode and in the cmd prompt on the computer when i try step 6 it says that fastboot is not a recognized command...i'm on safestrap and have tried it on both the rom i'm running and the stock slot, on the fastboot screen on the phone it says "device is UNLOCKED, status code 3"

#3 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

i'm having a problem where in the terminal on the phone when i put in "su reboot bootloader" it replies with "sh:bootloader: not found" and also when i go into fastboot mode and in the cmd prompt on the computer when i try step 6 it says that fastboot is not a recognized command...i'm on safestrap and have tried it on both the rom i'm running and the stock slot, on the fastboot screen on the phone it says "device is UNLOCKED, status code 3"

Sorry that should have been 2 separate commands to work on some versions of terminal.

Posted Image

#4 Tomsg123

Tomsg123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

Since there's no thread detailing how to do this yet (although many of us know how) I'll make a quick post detailing how to install TWRP on your HD/MAXX. This obviously works on anything with an unlocked bootloader but the file I'll be linking to is for the RAZR HD/MAXX.

1) Unlock your bootloader if you have not already done so. Instructions

. - Note: This will VOID YOUR WARRANTY - Credit Dan Rosenberg
2) Download

file - (This is the most current vanquish recovery available at the time of this post) - Credit: Hashcode
3) Boot your phone into fastboot mode (with the phone off hold all 3 power/volume + and - until your see the boot screen and select fastboot or alternatively open up a terminal with the phone booted and run "su" to gain root access then "reboot bootloader")
4) Plug your phone into your computer (duh).
5) Open a command prompt and have your fastboot and file downloaded above in the same folder (easiest way is to shift right click the folder you have them in and open command prompt so you don't have to manually navigate there).
6) Run the following command: fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.5.0.0-recovery-vanquish.img
7) Run the following command (or press power to power down the phone): fastboot reboot
8) Profit

Now whenever you boot into recovery you'll be greeted with TWRP 2.5.0.0

Thank you big time to Dan Rosenberg, Hashcode and the rest of the development community for your hard work on these devices.

- ArcaneXVI

You might want to add that you need to delete or rename install-recovery.sh to install-recovery.sh.bak or twrp will not boot and you will still be in stock android recovery. install-recovery.sh is found at /system/etc/install-recovery.sh

#5 y2kbadbug

y2kbadbug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

Is it suppose to recognize as an XT925 on a XT926 phone?

#6 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

Is it suppose to recognize as an XT925 on a XT926 phone?

Shouldn't be an issue. I haven't encountered any problems with mine. Flashed CM 10 (not 10.1 due to the camera problems) and it's running without any major problems. Bluetooth media audio doesn't get passed through and the lock screen is wonky but otherwise fine. Nothing related to the recovery.

Posted Image

#7 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

You might want to add that you need to delete or rename install-recovery.sh to install-recovery.sh.bak or twrp will not boot and you will still be in stock android recovery. install-recovery.sh is found at /system/etc/install-recovery.sh

Hmm. I haven't encountered this issue. Can anyone else verify that this might be a necessary step?

Posted Image

#8 dolfns99

dolfns99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Twitter:dolfns99

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

So my Razr Maxx HD is unlocked. however when I go into the cmd window and type fastboot devices, my phone is not displayed. Basically it tells me fastboot in not a internal or external command. any suggestions on how to flash this to my phone?

#9 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

So my Razr Maxx HD is unlocked. however when I go into the cmd window and type fastboot devices, my phone is not displayed. Basically it tells me fastboot in not a internal or external command. any suggestions on how to flash this to my phone?

Fastboot drivers aren't installed properly or the fastboot.exe file isn't in the directory you're trying to execute from. Not sure what the exact error message is that you're seeing but fastboot commands are not adb commands. Read: NOT "adb fastboot blah blah blah"... If you need the fastboot executable you can just run it from the folder where you unpacked Dan's apocolypse bootloader unlock as the file is in there. Just make sure you drop the downloaded recovery file in the same folder if you're going to use that one. (I'm lazy like that :P)

Posted Image

#10 Tomsg123

Tomsg123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hmm. I haven't encountered this issue. Can anyone else verify that this might be a necessary step?

Yeah I tried it twice and the only way I could get twrp to install and stay as the main recovery was to delete that file or rename it. I think this is something new with Jelly Bean, I had to do the same thing with my nexus 7 and Gnex

#11 dAi

dAi

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

So this will unlock the bootloader for my RAZR maxx??!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#12 Tomsg123

Tomsg123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

So this will unlock the bootloader for my RAZR maxx??!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NO this is how to install twrp Recovery on the unlock bootloader on the Droid Razr HD

#13 GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Twitter:GoCliffGo
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Device(s):RAZR HD Developer Edition, N7, X2

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Just a note about the recovery.sh file. Its easiest to delete it but you don't need to. If you don't want to fool with it, then fastboot flash twrp. Once its complete reboot the device. Catch it fast, don't let it boot but instead immediately hold power + volume up + volume down to get to the black screen with white letters. Go into recovery, which will be twrp and make a backup. Now twrp will stay installed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

• rogerwt123 likes this

#14 Xelios

Xelios

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola RAZR HD Maxx

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Also confirming that it is indeed necessary. I was running 4.1.2 rooted.

Thanks for this guide though. I stepped away from these forums for a few days and here I come back with major news about the bootloader, and felt so lost haha. Got everything running so far and I'm installing CM10 as I type this. You rock!

#15 Tomsg123

Tomsg123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

Video on how to install TWRP with these steps for Noobs
  • JJT211, sb8636 and cizco962 like this

#16 llawen

llawen

android tweaker

• Superuser
  • 551 posts
  • Twitter:@llawen
  • LocationGlenn hieghts, Texas
  • Current Device(s):razr maxx hd

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

do we now uninstall safestrap? Im sure we do, but just checking
Posted Image

#17 llawen

llawen

android tweaker

• Superuser
  • 551 posts
  • Twitter:@llawen
  • LocationGlenn hieghts, Texas
  • Current Device(s):razr maxx hd

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

never mind, I put fuzion in twrp, ha, ha , ha moto SUCK IT!!!!!!! Im off the grid with an unlocked bootloader. Now the real fun begins
Posted Image

#18 spartandmd

spartandmd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

i had given over to the thought of having a stock phone with my razr maxx hd, and never bothered to root. i installed the OTA 4.1.2. the new exploit from djrbliss gave me root but didn't unlock my bootloader. has anyone else with the problem figured it out yet? i'm a beggar so i ain't choosin, but i'm wondering if i just sit on my rooted/locked bootloader for now or if there's a better answer...

EDIT
this probably belongs in the QA section. sorry

#19 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

i had given over to the thought of having a stock phone with my razr maxx hd, and never bothered to root. i installed the OTA 4.1.2. the new exploit from djrbliss gave me root but didn't unlock my bootloader. has anyone else with the problem figured it out yet? i'm a beggar so i ain't choosin, but i'm wondering if i just sit on my rooted/locked bootloader for now or if there's a better answer...

EDIT
this probably belongs in the QA section. sorry

It's 2 separate exploits you need. The root exploit is just that. Once rooted you can use the bootloader exploit. This thread pertains to getting TWRP on your device.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

• spartandmd likes this

Posted Image

#20 dobbsjacobs

dobbsjacobs

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

I'm new to these methods and it isn't working for me. It appears to work in the command prompt in that the file acts like it loads and fastboot reboot reboots the phone, but when I try to access recovery I get the Android with the exclaimaction point indicating to me that the file did not load. It's probably something dumb but can anyone help me out with this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users