137 replies to this topic

#21 Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Twitter:@Dr_Carpenter82

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:23 AM

Doesn't anyone have the .173 fastboot files? Why are people being pointed to the .744 stuff?

Because fastbooting to 173 will soft brick your phone when coming from the leak. Happened to a couple guys last night. 744 worked fine though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#22 Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

i saw in the other thread that peopel's phones were seriously messed up...does that mean they didn't have root? I didn't read one reply where people's phones were bricked lol?

The guys that soft bricked were in chat, not the thread... as far as i know, only two ppl soft bricked and it was because they fastbooted to 173. Fastbooting to 744 or 748 seems to work fine.

#23 Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:38 AM

Tbh, i think the "risk" here has been blown way out of proportion. I was able to install the leak without issues, no data wipe etc, and everything is running fine. And I know that I'm one of the lucky ones, but it's more being careful and thinking ahead than luck. If it turns out that I'm off the upgrade path, not the end of the world. Happened to the bionic too, and the community figured out a way to get back on. I think it's time to stop treating the community like a bunch of children. We're all here for a reason, and that's to mod our phones. We know there's risk involved, and we don't hold droidrzr or any other forum site responsible for anything that goes wrong. When folks were getting kicked out of the chatroom last night just for saying they were going to install the leak, I think that was going a little too far on the part of the mods here. The most "screwed up" anyones phone got was an easily fixed soft brick, the majority of issues had to do with getting it to install and keeping root.

• The Kid and mindrazr like this

#24 STiK

STiK

STiK in the Mud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA
  • Current Device(s):LG Nexus 4

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:38 AM

Coming from the leak, I know because I have done it, If you fastboot .173 properly and wipe data/cache afterwards it works just fine.
  • detr0yt likes this

#25 Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

Coming from the leak, I know because I have done it, If you fastboot .173 properly and wipe data/cache afterwards it works just fine.

Good to know. Like I said, I only know of two cases where that didn't work, no idea if they wiped or not.

And I'm getting tired of the "the files were pulled for a reason" crap. They were pulled because you couldn't sideload them, not because of any bugs. Really getting tired of the attitude certain mods here have towards the users, as if they alone decide whether i should mod my phone. You wanna ban me for that opinion, go right ahead. And I'm not directing this at you STiK, just didn't want to make another post for it lol. Bottom line, if it's a risky procedure (like none of the other stuff we do is risky), educate on the correct process, don't use scare tactics to prevent people from doing it. We all know we're still going to do it, that's just what we do.

• mindrazr and xRoach like this

#26 crashercarlton

crashercarlton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:51 AM

Everybody forgets to wipe...i swear do they do this in the bathroom too? ;D
  • jroc and The Kid like this

#27 detr0yt

detr0yt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDetroit MI.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:56 AM

Hey stick.... where bouts. Can i find a .173 rsd (fastbootable) xml file? Only one i found to work was through matt's utility.. i dont need it.. just like to have it.. although i did lose root on the ics leak update...

#28 STiK

STiK

STiK in the Mud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:00 AM

Tbh, i think the "risk" here has been blown way out of proportion. I was able to install the leak without issues, no data wipe etc, and everything is running fine. And I know that I'm one of the lucky ones, but it's more being careful and thinking ahead than luck. If it turns out that I'm off the upgrade path, not the end of the world. Happened to the bionic too, and the community figured out a way to get back on. I think it's time to stop treating the community like a bunch of children. We're all here for a reason, and that's to mod our phones. We know there's risk involved, and we don't hold droidrzr or any other forum site responsible for anything that goes wrong. When folks were getting kicked out of the chatroom last night just for saying they were going to install the leak, I think that was going a little too far on the part of the mods here. The most "screwed up" anyones phone got was an easily fixed soft brick, the majority of issues had to do with getting it to install and keeping root.

I left chat because the mods were getting a little out of hand. I understood their point on not supporting this stuff but to start kicking people who were talking about it was a little over the edge for me. If they don't want to help those who are doing it, I can understand that but don't start kicking others who are discussing it. They made their point and all they had to do is ignore any requests for help in the matter. It's really not my fault that they make their contact info available to everyone and get bombarded with help requests on their personal device all day. There is a reason I don't give my stuff out to every tom shlong n harry that I cross paths with.

As far as the risk is concerned, I believe that to be as high or low as the level of the person attempting this stuff. The cheesecake info should have never been posted in the first place. It was stated that other than the sideloading issue that this update works just fine. Judging by the build date, this will be the OTA unless moto or verizon for whatever reason holds back on it. The update process and software seem to work flawelessly other than the typical quirks that go along with an update without wiping data goes. It's when people who don't know much about what is happening with these all in one utilities hit the slightest bit of trouble and rely soley on these utilities and start doing anything and everything to try and fix their device in panic mode. Trust me, I've been there myself at one point and it is not fun at all.

The best advice I can give is if you have *ANY* reservations at all as to what you are doing or what the process entails and you really do care about your device, wait until the official updates show up. You have no one but yourself to blame if you don't. Just because someone says something is easy doesn't mean that it's easy and/or safe for novice users. I've helped many people fix their devices in my day and I can honestly say that a good 95% of the issues could have been prevented by using a little caution and a bit of common sense. Just because someone says that Cheesecake is the cats meow doesn't mean that you should just install it and go to town without having a clue as to what is involved in the process.
  • jroc, The Kid and jpcalhoun like this

#29 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

detr0yt,

did RootProtector not work?

anybody - btw, what exactly does sideloading mean?

seeker
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#30 mindrazr

mindrazr

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

I'd have to agree with some of the points that are being made here. You can't throw steak in front of a hungry pack of wolves and then tell them not to eat it.

The post should have been removed as soon as the links were taken down if there was a genuine concern for the community. Although then you wouldn't have had all the buzz and traffic, plus all those juicy ad impressions that came along with it.

-Sent from my rooted Razr running the leaked ICS update.
  • The Kid likes this

#31 Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

I left chat because the mods were getting a little out of hand. I understood their point on not supporting this stuff but to start kicking people who were talking about it was a little over the edge for me. If they don't want to help those who are doing it, I can understand that but don't start kicking others who are discussing it. They made their point and all they had to do is ignore any requests for help in the matter. It's really not my fault that they make their contact info available to everyone and get bombarded with help quests on their personal device all day. There is a reason I don't give my stuff out to every tom shlong n harry that I cross paths with.

As far as the risk is concerned, I believe that to be as high as the or low as the level of the person attempting this stuff. The cheesecake info should have never been posted in the first place. It was stated that other than the sideloading issue that this update works just fine. Judging by the build date, this will be the OTA unless moto or verizon for whatever reason holds back on it. The update process and software seem to work flawelessly other than the typical quirks that go along with an update without wiping data goes. It's when people who don't know much about what is happening with these all in one utilities hit the slightest bit of trouble and rely soley on these utilities and start doing anything and everything to try and fix their device in panic mode. Trust me, I've been there myself at one point and it is not fun at all.

The best advice I can give is if you have *ANY* reservations at all as to what you are doing or what the process entails and you really do care about your device, wait until the official updates show up. You have no one but yourself to blame if you don't. Just because someone says something is easy doesn't mean that it's easy and/or safe for novice users. I've helped many people fix their devices in my day and I can honestly say that a good 95% of the issues could have been prevented by using a little caution and a bit of common sense. Just because someone says that Cheesecake is the cats meow doesn't mean that you should just install it and goto town without having a clue as to what is involved in the process.

Exactly. I wasn't trying to say it was easy, but I have yet to see a post or thread on here from someone with a perm bricked phone. That's what I meant by the risk being blown out of proportion. Is there risk of losing root? Yes. Soft bricking? Sure. But really, what else is new? My main concern with cheesecake is that moto will shut down those servers after being slammed last night, and I wouldn't blame them a bit. Unfortunately, that wouldn't have been an issue had the files been left up with clearer instructions on how to use them. If you had the files, you use cheesecake just to change servers so the files are found on your phone, and you don't need 1000 people downloading from a non-public server.

#32 Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

detr0yt,

did RootProtector not work?

seeker

Root protector works as long as you use it to unroot before installing the update.

#33 STiK

STiK

STiK in the Mud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

Hey stick.... where bouts. Can i find a .173 rsd (fastbootable) xml file? Only one i found to work was through matt's utility.. i dont need it.. just like to have it.. although i did lose root on the ics leak update...

I don't have the .xml file. I can give you the flash order that I use with moto-fastboot though. You will have to find the hosted .173 files if you want the .xml file from it.

moto-fastboot flash mbm allow-mbmloader-flashing-mbm
moto-fastboot reboot-bootloader
moto-fastboot flash mbmloader mbmloader.bin
moto-fastboot flash mbm mbm.bin
moto-fastboot oem fb_mode_set
moto-fastboot reboot-bootloader
moto-fastboot flash cdt.bin cdt.bin
moto-fastboot erase cache
moto-fastboot flash logo.bin logo.bin
moto-fastboot flash ebr ebr
moto-fastboot flash mbr mbr
moto-fastboot flash devtree device_tree.bin
moto-fastboot flash system system.img
moto-fastboot flash boot boot.img
moto-fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
moto-fastboot flash cdrom cdrom
moto-fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img
moto-fastboot flash webtop grfs.img
moto-fastboot flash radio radio.img
moto-fastboot oem fb_mode_clear

#34 detr0yt

detr0yt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDetroit MI.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

Root protector works as long as you use it to unroot before installing the update.

I definitely hit the temp unroot button before i updated this morning.. everything went smooth.. loaded up... opened up voodoo hit restore root.. got a pop up" root su restored" ... not sure what else to do after that? How do i update it?

#35 STiK

STiK

STiK in the Mud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:18 AM

Exactly. I wasn't trying to say it was easy, but I have yet to see a post or thread on here from someone with a perm bricked phone. That's what I meant by the risk being blown out of proportion. Is there risk of losing root? Yes. Soft bricking? Sure. But really, what else is new? My main concern with cheesecake is that moto will shut down those servers after being slammed last night, and I wouldn't blame them a bit. Unfortunately, that wouldn't have been an issue had the files been left up with clearer instructions on how to use them. If you had the files, you use cheesecake just to change servers so the files are found on your phone, and you don't need 1000 people downloading from a non-public server.

I was more or less just adding to your point :P

#36 Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

I definitely hit the temp unroot button before i updated this morning.. everything went smooth.. loaded up... opened up voodoo hit restore root.. got a pop up" root su restored" ... not sure what else to do after that? How do i update it?

You should be ok then. Open up titanium backup and see if you have root.

#37 Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

I was more or less just adding to your point

Lol I know, I just never know when to shut up :)

#38 detr0yt

detr0yt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDetroit MI.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:24 AM

You should be ok then. Open up titanium backup and see if you have root.

i did try tibu. And says i dont have root acces.. what a bummer... although i will say my data is solid as a rock which is nice..

#39 The Kid

The Kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Google+:thegsxr1000kid

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

I left chat because the mods were getting a little out of hand. I understood their point on not supporting this stuff but to start kicking people who were talking about it was a little over the edge for me. If they don't want to help those who are doing it, I can understand that but don't start kicking others who are discussing it. They made their point and all they had to do is ignore any requests for help in the matter. It's really not my fault that they make their contact info available to everyone and get bombarded with help requests on their personal device all day. There is a reason I don't give my stuff out to every tom shlong n harry that I cross paths with.

As far as the risk is concerned, I believe that to be as high or low as the level of the person attempting this stuff. The cheesecake info should have never been posted in the first place. It was stated that other than the sideloading issue that this update works just fine. Judging by the build date, this will be the OTA unless moto or verizon for whatever reason holds back on it. The update process and software seem to work flawelessly other than the typical quirks that go along with an update without wiping data goes. It's when people who don't know much about what is happening with these all in one utilities hit the slightest bit of trouble and rely soley on these utilities and start doing anything and everything to try and fix their device in panic mode. Trust me, I've been there myself at one point and it is not fun at all.

The best advice I can give is if you have *ANY* reservations at all as to what you are doing or what the process entails and you really do care about your device, wait until the official updates show up. You have no one but yourself to blame if you don't. Just because someone says something is easy doesn't mean that it's easy and/or safe for novice users. I've helped many people fix their devices in my day and I can honestly say that a good 95% of the issues could have been prevented by using a little caution and a bit of common sense. Just because someone says that Cheesecake is the cats meow doesn't mean that you should just install it and goto town without having a clue as to what is involved in the process.

AGREED COMPLETELY
3.0 icsourcery GNex

#40 xiogua

xiogua

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

Glad I didn't download the files. I did fastboot back to stock for the first time in anticipation for the OTA.

Sent from my Axiom [R]azr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users