Photo

Is there a way to root bionic jelly bean yet ?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 bioniccrazy

bioniccrazy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to re-root their bionic with the new jelly bean update yet. 

#2 King Howie

King Howie

Minister of Jackbooted Thugs

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S4 GPE, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

People are looking. Hasn't happened yet. Likely never will

#3 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Let me put it this way:

I have an ASUS Transformer Infinity 64 GB model - has JB since Sept.

There is still no native root method for that device.

I'm betting most JB devices are not going to get root unless you unlock the bootloader / already have an unlocked bootloader.

• Staf_in_Wah and King Howie like this

#4 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

Let me put it this way:

I have an ASUS Transformer Infinity 64 GB model - has JB since Sept.

I'm betting most JB devices are not going to get root unless you unlock the bootloader / already have an unlocked bootloader.

And that is not possible on the Bionic......
Also, being EOL combined with being the end of omap, chances of root are slim slim slim, plus having Dan out of the equation makes it worse....
  • King Howie likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#5 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

Exactly.

#6 Notc

Notc

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

Let me put it this way:

I have an ASUS Transformer Infinity 64 GB model - has JB since Sept.

I'm betting most JB devices are not going to get root unless you unlock the bootloader / already have an unlocked bootloader.

I wouldn't go that far, it depends how many eyes are on the device.  Although I agree that for us, it's unlikely.

#7 projektorboy

projektorboy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Twitter:manicsocratic

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:20 AM

Since the FXZ file has been released for Jellybean, I wonder if there's a way to repack the system.img file so that it already includes superuser.apk and the su binary preinstalled. That way we can just fastboot flash a rooted image in place.

#8 maksim

maksim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:50 AM

Since the FXZ file has been released for Jellybean, I wonder if there's a way to repack the system.img file so that it already includes superuser.apk and the su binary preinstalled. That way we can just fastboot flash a rooted image in place.

No. We can't flash moded img, because bionic have lock bootloader.

#9 Notc

Notc

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:12 AM

I'm just gonna quote Sam here, since he answered that exact question recently

Already answered that question in numerous threads, "AHA pm's", and elsewhere.  NO.  Root isn't so simple.  The "trick" is getting system writeable so you can copy su to it.  That's the exploit part.  Until su is there and has root.root perms, you ain't got $#!+.

Also no.  How do you propose to flash a modified img file that has to be signed?

Sorry, I don't mean to be so annoying with my responses, but, I've had to deal with this kind of thing in the HTPC world for years with regard to people's "amazing cinavia solutions that NO ONE ELSE has thought of!"  The issue here is that exploiting kernel bugs to gain root access is not a simplistic venture.  Why do you think the master Dan is quitting?  It's too time consuming and most of the good exploits are already patched.  If it were simple, I promise you people like Dan wouldn't look for the hard ways to do it.  LOL.  The so called "simple" ways to do it were patched long ago.  Us mere mortals have no hope of solving complex problems like cinavia and root.  The big boys need to work through those problems.

#10 bigmarv33

bigmarv33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

There is a member over at XDA claiming that MotoChopper rooted his Bionic Jellybean 4.1.2

#11 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

There was a member at XDA who also claimed you could revert from ICS to GB....

• tucstwo and Mr. HQ like this

#12 bigmarv33

bigmarv33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Hey Im jusy trying to find out if its true you aint gotta get smart 

#13 rocketsaucev2

rocketsaucev2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Guessing that was some gluteus who knew that would result in a brick and posted that to f%$k with ppl

#14 rocketsaucev2

rocketsaucev2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Haha gluteus that's hilarious

#15 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Hey Im jusy trying to find out if its true you aint gotta get smart 

I wasn't getting smart with you, I was reporting my own experience.  Read this for more info:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

And about 4 posts down:  

I now have a low opinion when a single user at XDA claims something that has already been proven by people I know here to be false.

Guessing that was some gluteus who knew that would result in a brick and posted that to f%$k with ppl

No, he actually believed he was right and I (and Sam, and timmy10shoes, and Dan, and Sarge, and anyone else at the time) was wrong.

#16 rlewis312010

rlewis312010

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

I wasn't getting smart with you, I was reporting my own experience. Read this for more info:

And about 4 posts down:

I now have a low opinion when a single user at XDA claims something that has already been proven by people I know here to be false.

No, he actually believed he was right and I (and Sam, and timmy10shoes, and Dan, and Sarge, and anyone else at the time) was wrong.

Does not matter. People get set in thought and usually don't consider what others offer. No root, likely not coming, so those without just need to accept it. I lost root. Tried bs as ss would not work.

Saw menu screen, but before loading it booted stock. I uninstalled ss and tried bs and it worked. I chose nothing and rebooted to find "Encryption unsuccessful.". FDR, few times, told bs to reset (only option). Piece of $#!+. Pushed preinstall and system from 246, recovery, jb update. Bye bye root. Piece of $#!+ bs. Selected nothing and rebooted. Still pissed. No root, no help with ss, and no gifts or money for new phone. Unlocked/unlockable only. Rich get richer. Good job, wife and two kids and still cannot afford $#!+. $500-$700 for a f%$king phone? A phone is better than none, for now. Unlocked, follow directions, and not count on anyone for anything or be f%$ked over by $#!+ty provider or dip $#!+ phone manufacturer. Can you feel my positive view? When contract up I am gone if I find decent service and unlimited data elsewhere.

#17 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Don't know why you were ranting at me, but the post you quoted had nothing to do with your post....  o_0

#18 rlewis312010

rlewis312010

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

Don't know why you were ranting at me, but the post you quoted had nothing to do with your post....  o_0

Not at you. I just went off on rant from previous conversations. Sorry about confusion. You've always been nice when I've read your posts. I was sarcastic about buying me a phone.

Poor people can want stuff also. Like unlocked phones. Bills add up. Rich or gifted don't stress in current times. Food prices up, phone not what they want. Covered. Earlier somebody called Sam a dev. He knows people and is a good code writer. Develops tools to automate what others find. Damn good tools. No ROMs though or recovery maker.

#19 bigmarv33

bigmarv33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

I apologize John

#20 Mr. HQ

Mr. HQ

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:21 AM

I Reverted from ICS 230 to GB so I could get back to official OTA. Just sayin....I was patient.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users