#1 chrisp6825

chrisp6825

Byaaah!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Current Device(s):Moto Droid Bionic

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Hi people. I've found an app that has a functionality I had always felt android could have used on its own. It's the LBE Security Master app. The idea I like is the ability to fine tune how apps can behave based on their permissions.

For example, I have turned all apps that request location permission to prompt only, meaning when Google maps wants to get my location it has to pop up and ask me if I'll allow it for GPS, as well as Wi-Fi and cell based location.
Another example, when I now launch my stock web browser, I'll get a pop up to request data permissions (WiFi or 3g/4g depending) and another pop up to request location.

My purpose for this post is purely to write out some things I find interesting about certain apps requesting certain permission in certain times. And I hope to learn a bit more about what all info my phone is wanting to transmit.

To start off, I'll note the browser example. I have Google.com set to my home page, signed in to my account, with all location preferences turned off. It's disable on Google's site, as well as in my browser's preferences. Yet when I launch my browser and get the home page, LBE pops up with browser's request for location (based on WiFi). It's nothing serious, but non the less interesting.

When receiving a text message, stock aosp messenger requests location based on cell.

Countless apps request the IMEI and IMSI numbers, denying the majority of them doesn't seem to cause any changes in my usage of the apps.

Google Maps requests Location (base stations) quite a few times a day. This is without myself opening maps, gps off, and all location setting in android disabled.

Google Services Framework requests SIM S/N, IMEI, IMSI, contact data, locations, and network (wifi/3g/4g) quite a lot, quite randomly. I realize this app is required for quite a bit of google apps and such, but denying it some of these permissions rarely show any adverse effects (while applying common sense, ie first connecting to wifi, denying its request will keep the wifi icon grey as if no internet connection exists)

The Play Store requests the IMSI sooo many times a day. Today, with about 3 hours of actual screen-on-phone-use, play store has requested more than 50 times. Play store has not been opened by me today, no updates have popped up, etc.

ModemStatsService requests location (cell) a few times daily. Nothing noticed when denied.

AdminNotifier requests contact data about once an hour.

ZumoServices requests to check phone-call status almost hourly.

A few Verizon bloat request phone-number about once a day.

typed on a Bionic running Eclipse 1.3 on ICS build 232.
  • neckchop likes this

#2 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Hi people. I've found an app that has a functionality I had always felt android could have used on its own. It's the LBE Security Master app. The idea I like is the ability to fine tune how apps can behave based on their permissions.

For example, I have turned all apps that request location permission to prompt only, meaning when Google maps wants to get my location it has to pop up and ask me if I'll allow it for GPS, as well as Wi-Fi and cell based location.
Another example, when I now launch my stock web browser, I'll get a pop up to request data permissions (WiFi or 3g/4g depending) and another pop up to request location.

My purpose for this post is purely to write out some things I find interesting about certain apps requesting certain permission in certain times. And I hope to learn a bit more about what all info my phone is wanting to transmit.

To start off, I'll note the browser example. I have Google.com set to my home page, signed in to my account, with all location preferences turned off. It's disable on Google's site, as well as in my browser's preferences. Yet when I launch my browser and get the home page, LBE pops up with browser's request for location (based on WiFi). It's nothing serious, but non the less interesting.

When receiving a text message, stock aosp messenger requests location based on cell.

Countless apps request the IMEI and IMSI numbers, denying the majority of them doesn't seem to cause any changes in my usage of the apps.

Google Maps requests Location (base stations) quite a few times a day. This is without myself opening maps, gps off, and all location setting in android disabled.

Google Services Framework requests SIM S/N, IMEI, IMSI, contact data, locations, and network (wifi/3g/4g) quite a lot, quite randomly. I realize this app is required for quite a bit of google apps and such, but denying it some of these permissions rarely show any adverse effects (while applying common sense, ie first connecting to wifi, denying its request will keep the wifi icon grey as if no internet connection exists)

The Play Store requests the IMSI sooo many times a day. Today, with about 3 hours of actual screen-on-phone-use, play store has requested more than 50 times. Play store has not been opened by me today, no updates have popped up, etc.

ModemStatsService requests location (cell) a few times daily. Nothing noticed when denied.

AdminNotifier requests contact data about once an hour.

ZumoServices requests to check phone-call status almost hourly.

A few Verizon bloat request phone-number about once a day.

Not surprising, actually.

Maps is requesting a lot of location probably b/c of a weather app or something similar.  Disable the weather app that comes with the phone / launcher / etc.

Services Framework is probably to make backups of settings if you have that feature enabled.

Play store - probably trying to check for app updates.

ModemStatsService - probably trying to send those statistics to your Carrier / service provider.

Admin Notifier is for admin apps - and probably is verifying a list / checking for new apps that request admin privileges.

ZumoService is checking for phone-call status b/c it wants to make sure you're not on a phone call before it updates.

The VZW bloat are doing that through the VZW login app - typically at the same time every day that the phone was first set up to use ICS.

#3 chrisp6825

chrisp6825

Byaaah!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Current Device(s):Moto Droid Bionic

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

Maybe not surprising, but I do think it's interesting to see how many times my IMSI and imei is requested. My guess is license checkings. But I'm a little surprised how often most of these requests are made. Then again, ignorance provokes mystery

By the way, all options for automatic updates/location and other such settings are all turned off wherever able to. ie, Weather/news is set to a static zip code & disabled auto-refresh, so it should never ask for determined location.

#4 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

When I was in Hawai'i for 6 weeks you wouldn't believe how many times my GPS attempted to connect when I was doing nothing on the phone...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users