Photo

Need Help Rooting Droid Razr Maxx XT912 JellyBean 4.1.2 on MacBook Pro; "Waiting for Device..."

droid razr maxx xt912 4.1.2 jellybean root jailbreak macbook pro mac macbook

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dementous

Dementous

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

Hello everyone,

I recently came upon this site in my efforts to root my Razr Maxx, but unfortunately I am being met with some unknown difficulty.
I read through several articles on rooting the Razr Maxx before I started any actual work; but I eventually came down to using this tutorial:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I am on a Macbook Pro 2009 running OSX Version 10.8.3 and I have installed the latest Motorola Drivers specific to my Razr.

Unfortunately after following through the steps my Terminal gets stuck on "Waiting for Device..."
I have tried troubleshooting in several many ways, including trying different USB ports, different USB connection modes, running the script as root user in Terminal, and I have even factory reset my phone.

Absolutely nothing seems to work! I honestly searched everywhere for the answer to my dilemma, but I am stuck. If anyone is able to help I would truly be grateful. If this topic has been addressed before, I apologize but I just could not find the answer anywhere.

Thank you for reading.

#2 Hero_Indeed

Hero_Indeed

Android Rescue Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

I would check on your phone in Developer Settings and make sure USB Debugging is selected. If that doesnt do it reinstall the most recent Moto drivers and reboot your Mac and see what that does.

Posted Image

#3 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

Also the phone needs to NOT be in Mass Storage Mode, so set it for MTP

I have a MacBook Pro as well.

• siops_74 likes this

#4 Dementous

Dementous

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

I would check on your phone in Developer Settings and make sure USB Debugging is selected. If that doesnt do it reinstall the most recent Moto drivers and reboot your Mac and see what that does.

USB Debugging is/has been selected. No Change.
Re-installed drivers & rebooted mac. No Change.

All 3 modes were tested; re-tried several times in MTP. No Change.

#5 mattyV

mattyV

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • Current Device(s):OG Razr

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

Maybe check the help/general sections or the chat and not the "hacks" thread......

#6 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

While plugged in and when it says "waiting for device" toggle usb debugging off then on again. Sounds stupid but it has worked for a few people. Worth a try as it won't hurt.

#7 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

You know I do vaguely recall helping another member with an "older" MBP and we had some issues....cant remember what tho. Is that 32bit? That may have been the problem, but honestly cannot remember.

My MBP is from Nov 2011 so its 64bit

#8 Dementous

Dementous

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Maybe check the help/general sections or the chat and not the "hacks" thread......

I'll check those sections to see if there are any relative topics, but I feel posting this issue here was justified as I am attempting to by pass the operating system which can be considered to be a "hack" or if you want to get technical a "crack".

Edit: The site is running a little slow tonight, I'll have to check out that part of the forum at a later time.

While plugged in and when it says "waiting for device" toggle usb debugging off then on again. Sounds stupid but it has worked for a few people. Worth a try as it won't hurt.

Attempted multiple times toggling Debugging Off then On during "Waiting for Device...". No change.

You know I do vaguely recall helping another member with an "older" MBP and we had some issues....cant remember what tho. Is that 32bit? That may have been the problem, but honestly cannot remember.

My MBP is from Nov 2011 so its 64bit

I am not particularly sure what bit my MBP is, but it is the fully upgraded MBP from 2009.

Its starting to seem like my phone has no hope. :(

#9 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

I'll check those sections to see if there are any relative topics, but I feel posting this issue here was justified as I am attempting to by pass the operating system which can be considered to be a "hack" or if you want to get technical a "crack".

Edit: The site is running a little slow tonight, I'll have to check out that part of the forum at a later time.

Attempted multiple times toggling Debugging Off then On during "Waiting for Device...". No change.

I am not particularly sure what bit my MBP is, but it is the fully upgraded MBP from 2009.

Its starting to seem like my phone has no hope. :(

Dont fret we can help you. I know my Mac is 64bit. Let me see if there is a way to tell....this is my first Apple PC since 1978 as in an Apple II so let me see what I can find for you.

One suggestion would be I also use VMware Fusion. Not sure if there is a free version like VMware Play, but I often find that the phone utilities work better under Windoze or Winblows :) so that may be something to look into....I will check around tomorrow.

#10 Dementous

Dementous

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

One suggestion would be I also use VMware Fusion. Not sure if there is a free version like VMware Play, but I often find that the phone utilities work better under Windoze or Winblows :) so that may be something to look into....I will check around tomorrow.

Funny you should mention that as I've recently been setting up a Virtual Windows network on my computer in order to learn a shell language called PowerShell for my job and even thought about using one of the virtual Window machines to run Razr_Blade. I'll update the thread if I can run it successfully.

#11 Luq07

Luq07

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Hello everyone,

I recently came upon this site in my efforts to root my Razr Maxx, but unfortunately I am being met with some unknown difficulty.
I read through several articles on rooting the Razr Maxx before I started any actual work; but I eventually came down to using this tutorial:

I am on a Macbook Pro 2009 running OSX Version 10.8.3 and I have installed the latest Motorola Drivers specific to my Razr.

Unfortunately after following through the steps my Terminal gets stuck on "Waiting for Device..."
I have tried troubleshooting in several many ways, including trying different USB ports, different USB connection modes, running the script as root user in Terminal, and I have even factory reset my phone.

Absolutely nothing seems to work! I honestly searched everywhere for the answer to my dilemma, but I am stuck. If anyone is able to help I would truly be grateful. If this topic has been addressed before, I apologize but I just could not find the answer anywhere.

Thank you for reading.

The problem is the script.  You'll need to rewrite it and remove the fully qualified paths in it.  I've attached a rewritten version.  Rename the razr_blade.txt file to razr_blade.sh and overwrite the one in the razr_blade_mac folder.  Open a terminal and cd to the razr_blade_mac folder.   Type:  chmod +x razr_blade.sh   then run it using ./razr_blade.sh.  The DroidRAZR Utility 1.90 at Batakang.com is actually much better with this than Razr_blade.  It incorporates Razr_blade and other utilities.  Be careful with it.  If you flash your droid with JB using it, you'll lose all your settings (if you've flashed to Cricket or Pageplus).

Attached Files

#12 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

The problem is the script.  You'll need to rewrite it and remove the fully qualified paths in it.  I've attached a rewritten version.  Rename the razr_blade.txt file to razr_blade.sh and overwrite the one in the razr_blade_mac folder.  Open a terminal and cd to the razr_blade_mac folder.   Type:  chmod +x razr_blade.sh   then run it using ./razr_blade.sh.  The DroidRAZR Utility 1.90 at Batakang.com is actually much better with this than Razr_blade.  It incorporates Razr_blade and other utilities.  Be careful with it.  If you flash your droid with JB using it, you'll lose all your settings (if you've flashed to Cricket or Pageplus).

With all due respect, I am not sure what youre talking about. This works fine on a Mac without changing the script. What you wrote certainly isnt bad and will work and if it does for others thats fine but as I stated this DOES work as is.

Also, suggesting the 1.90 utility which is now replaced with Matts all-in-one (

) is also not wrong but not exactly correct either.

As you have correctly stated these utilities are written for Verizon based phones, so the correct software/fxz files are still required if your carrier is NOT VZW.

#13 tlowen40

tlowen40

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

I was flashing Bionic recently using a Mac Pro and could not make a USB connection stick. I realized my error was using USB 3.0 on the Mac Pro which doesn't stay connected to phone for more than a few seconds. Switched to a Dell Laptop running Vista and everything ran fine. 

#14 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

I was flashing Bionic recently using a Mac Pro and could not make a USB connection stick. I realized my error was using USB 3.0 on the Mac Pro which doesn't stay connected to phone for more than a few seconds. Switched to a Dell Laptop running Vista and everything ran fine. 

Yes, USB 3.0 ports seem to cause problems. My MBP is from November 2011 so its still usb 2.0

#15 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

Moving to help  :) where there may be more "help"  :D

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#16 siops_74

siops_74

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Google+:esmcochoa@gmail.com
  • LocationManchester, CT
  • Current Device(s):Moto Razr Maxx XT-912

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

I was thinking there was no hope for me to completely root my xt-912 Razr Maxx on my Windows 8 laptop.  I read your post and tweeked the process with this mention.  I took a chance and it worked.  I hope other people can benefit from reading your mention and my note here.  Thanks again.  It is funny what you learn when someone posts a sentence or two.

• cmh714 likes this

#17 redcloudjoe

redcloudjoe

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:18 AM

Have you ever installed EasyTether on your Mac? It could be the problem.

I ran into a similar problem to OP, which I bypassed using a Windows version of the utility. That successfully rooted my Razr MAXX.  :D

Later, however, when installing non-market .apk files, the adb utility (included in Google's SDK) couldn't find my phone either. :angry: Further research identified the culprit: the EasyTether kext interferes with the utility's USB communications. More info on the problem and detailed solution(s) are located

My solution was simple:

1) place the EasyTether USB kext in the trash

2) restart my Mac

3) perform whatever rooting/installation procedures were necessary on my Razr

4) restore the kext from trash

5) restart again

After a frustrating night spent trying to root my phone, this method finally worked. 

:excl: Note that, even on Windows, I still had to perform a clean install of Jellybean in order to get root to stick. That's what I get for blithely accepting Verizon's upgrade.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: droid, razr maxx, xt912, 4.1.2, jellybean, root, jailbreak, macbook pro, mac, macbook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users