Photo

New user having update problem

Best Answer jpty01 , 02 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Solved evidently in this case you can fastboot back. I am now running 2.3.5 again after being on JB and all my screen problems are gone. Now to try to update through ICS.

Thanks to all who replied. I hope this will help anyone else who is having this problem.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 jpty01

jpty01

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Current Device(s):XT912

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

I just purchased a new Razr XT912 and it would not OTA update from Gingerbread 3.2.6. and Motorola showed it to be updated to GB already. I found and installed the utility from matt which ran  with no errors. I am now on GB 4.1.2 the problem I am having is the screen glitches badly which makes the phone impossible to use. I did not root the phone yet. Any advice on what I can do to fix the problem would really be appreciated.

#2 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

I just purchased a new Razr XT912 and it would not OTA update from Gingerbread 3.2.6. and Motorola showed it to be updated to GB already. I found and installed the utility from matt which ran  with no errors. I am now on GB 4.1.2 the problem I am having is the screen glitches badly which makes the phone impossible to use. I did not root the phone yet. Any advice on what I can do to fix the problem would really be appreciated.

Sounds like a factory reset is in order.

Edit: If you are planning on rooting I would do that right after you factory reset before you sign in to Google

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#3 jpty01

jpty01

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

I tried a factory reset and a data wipe but when it first boots up the screen has lines across the bottom and a box in the upper right corner the flashes in and out. If I swipe the screen and hold it it will clear up temporarily. I'm not sure what else to do.

#4 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Was the screen working properly prior to running the utility?
  • jpty01 likes this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#5 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

When you ran Matt's Utility Which one did you use and did you wipe data??

If you did then you may have a hardware problem.

• jpty01 likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#6 jpty01

jpty01

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

yes the screen was fine before the utility and I did option 1

Do you think updating from Gingerbread directly to JB would cause an error.

#7 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Which Utility did you use? This sounds like a Kernel issue.

• jpty01 likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#8 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

yes the screen was fine before the utility and I did option 1
Do you think updating from Gingerbread directly to JB would cause an error.

It is possible.... maybe try running the utility again (not the 1.90 utility, but the latest RAZR utility).... see if the problem continues..... just make sure you are charged back up before running again ..... if not, it will spell bad news for your phone..... :)
  • jpty01 likes this

jhf.png

#9 jpty01

jpty01

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. I believe the Razr utility is the newest one from Matt. I ran it 4 times, 3 with option 1, and one  option 2. I did not want to chance rooting until my problem is cleared up. The install shows no errors as I watch it install. I found another post about the same problem after running the utility but it was on an XT912 that was rooted and no answer was posted about it. Also I tried his suggested download manager and used two different laptops running Windows 7 using 64bit drivers.

#10 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

you may have corrupted file(s) in the utility (maybe redownload and run again)..... or you have developed/discovered a hardware problem

Edit..... if I had read your post fully, I would have realized that you already tried another download..... sounds more and more like a hardware issue.....
  • jpty01 likes this

jhf.png

#11 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

This almost sounds like the webtop issue that we had with the bionic. It changed from GB to ICS so if we didn't flash it we had screen issues. Might want to check out the full fxz...not a utility because most utilities don't flash webtop due to the size of the image.<br /><br />Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br /><br />
  • jpty01 likes this

#12 jpty01

jpty01

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

Yes that could be the phone is new only in use 2 weeks. I can send to Motorola for repair under warranty but I was hoping not to have to. Thanks

#13 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

This almost sounds like the webtop issue that we had with the bionic. It changed from GB to ICS so if we didn't flash it we had screen issues. Might want to check out the full fxz...not a utility because most utilities don't flash webtop due to the size of the image.<br /><br />Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br /><br />

AFAIK webtop has been discontinued/unsupported in the JB builds......... but if the webtop partition is still in-fact present then one could try flashing webtop by itself..... if it flashes successfully and fixes the issue then GREAT!!! :) if it flashes successfully and you still have the screen issue, then, once again I believe you will be back to it being a hardware issue :)

I am uploading a small "utility" that will flash the webtop partition to your phone (if you choose to)..... I will post a link as soon as it is finished :)

• tmyinc and jpty01 like this

jhf.png

#14 jpty01

jpty01

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

Thanks I will try it to see if it work.

Just a note I put the phone I safe mode and the lines and glitches do not go away when you swipe left or right as the do in normal boot up.

#15 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

AFAIK webtop has been discontinued/unsupported in the JB builds......... but if the webtop partition is still in-fact present then one could try flashing webtop by itself..... if it flashes successfully and fixes the issue then GREAT!!! :) if it flashes successfully and you still have the screen issue, then, once again I believe you will be back to it being a hardware issue :)

I am uploading a small "utility" that will flash the webtop partition to your phone (if you choose to)..... I will post a link as soon as it is finished :)

I was just thinking that webtop changed from GB to ICS so jumping from GB to JB using Matts utility might skip that update. We had that issue when going from GB to ICS on the Bionic so that is the only reason I thought of it. When we got the ICS fxz added to HoB, webtop flash was optional. Some trying to go from GB to ICS with the fxz option would skip the webtop flash and end up with a black screen and such.I appreciate you helping out and making a (mini-utility) for jpty01 to try. If that does not work I think you are right, we can narrow it down to hardware.

• jpty01 likes this

#16 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

here is the "mini-utility" ....

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

.... the same "rules" apply to this as other utilities.... such as unzip to desktop, have plenty of charge, run the .bat file to start :) good luck, I hope this works for you......

if you happen to get a flash failure and your phone reboots into AP Fastboot...... you should be able to run matts utility and revive your phone.....

• tmyinc and jpty01 like this

jhf.png

#17 jpty01

jpty01

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for your work I dowloaded the file will try soon I have to charge the battery enough to start. I will post as soon as I can.

Thanks again

#18 jpty01

jpty01

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

Hi I was finally able to flash the webtop utility today and it found and flashed the file successfully but the screen glitch still remains. Thanks for the help everyone. Maybe if I root the phone and try a custom rom it would work. The screen remains steady during the boot up and the andoid splash screen. it only starts flickering after the complete boot up and the main screens are up. When the unlock screen is on the key in the center is steady but the bottom of the screen flashes straight white lines on and off at a regular interval and when the lines go off there are ripple lines that radiate out from the center key with the same regular pattern. The glitching is also not present in camera mode but is active in phone and text mode. Thanks again.

#19 jpty01

jpty01

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

A follow up on my screen problem. If  I used a live wallpaper the main screens are clear and stable with nothing popping up. Going to a stationary screen then the flashing up of the stripes on the lower screen start. Texting using the keyboard is not possible because the keys are mostly covered up and not readable but you can pick out the letters if you touch the screen in the right place.

#20 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

That just seems so odd..... we had assumed a hardware issue if re-flashing didn't work...... however, if the screen works fine until it fully boots up, then is goes all wacko sounds more like a software issue (maybe a driver error) .... the only problem now is locating it and nailing it down.....:-)
  • jpty01 likes this

jhf.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users