#1 coleam

coleam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Current Device(s):Moto XT907

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

I've been running FlyingJelly for the past couple months on a rooted (obviously), non-bootloader-unlocked XT907.  Got a message the other day for an OTA update and just assumed it was something from the FlyingJelly team, so I downloaded and postponed installation until I had time to supervise it.  Turns out it was (probably) the Verizon 2.1.2 update, which needed a stock installation to work, and my phone got stuck in a boot loop when I tried to install it.

With that, I decided to just wipe everything and start fresh, so I deleted the ROM slot and reset the phone the factory using SafeStrap. I also used the Wipe option (perhaps this was my mistake?), then tried to re-flash FlyingJelly 1.1.  The flash started fine, then the screen went black.  Now, when I soft-reset (power+down volume), I get the Moto splash screen followed by the SafeStrap splash (which says "SafeStrap disabled") with non-functional softkeys.  After a few seconds, the screen goes black again.  I tried the method in this thread (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

) to get into the fastboot, but holding all three buttons while in the SafeStrap splash screen just makes the phone reset again.

Since I can't get the phone into fastboot, I can't use mattlgroff's Razr M utility.  I've ordered one of the programming adapters from Black Hat to see if that lets me access the options I need to restore it to factory, but I have no idea if that will do the trick.  Am I irrecoverably bricked, or is there a way to fix this?

• wsladejr likes this

#2 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

When you hold all three buttons, as the phone shuts down, you should get a flash at the top of the screen. After this flash release keys and quickly push them again and hold them down. If done quickly enough, you should get into the fastboot menu. Wiping stock in SS was the mistake, but it should be recoverable. Also, if you hold down the power button, it should turn the phone off all the way. If get power off, you use the three buttons to boot into fastboot menu.
  • neckchop and shane1 like this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#3 coleam

coleam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:07 AM

Ok, so now, it won't even take me to the splash screens.  I haven't done anything else since  I posted this thread.  At first I thought the battery had died overnight, but I don't think it did because as soon as I plug it into the computer, it gets recognized as a USB input device (i.e. mouse/keyboard; I can't access the file system) and the green power light comes on.  If I hold down all three buttons or power+volume down while it's plugged it,nit disconnects and reconnects from the computer and the power light flashes.  This didn't happen last night - when I tried plugging it in then, I got nothing.

Edit: aha, plugged it into the wall charger, hit power and volume down and immediately got into fastboot.

• neckchop likes this

#4 brandon71

brandon71

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Google+:tbd7171@gmail.com
  • LocationKodak, TN
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr M

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:08 AM

Have you considered unlocking if you do you could use matts utility to fastboot back to 4.1.1

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#5 coleam

coleam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:17 AM

I probably will unlock it at that point.  Out of curiosity, will it charge in fastboot?  It's saying that the battery is low, so matt's utility won't work on it as-is.

Edit: *I totally spaced out on the motofail2go exploit.  Disregard.*

will I be able to root/unlock?  matt's utility restores you to 4.1.1, but you need 4.0.4 to root, right?  I know that if you get the 4.1.2 update, you're screwed as far as rooting/unlocking goes.  Does the same go for 4.1.1?

Edit2: Sorry brandon, misread your comment.  Thought you were asking if I was going to unlock once I had fastbooted back to 4.1.1.  Didn't know matt's utility needed you to be unlocked - it's not in the directions anywhere.  

#6 CamoCustom

CamoCustom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr M

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

I probably will unlock it at that point.  Out of curiosity, will it charge in fastboot?  It's saying that the battery is low, so matt's utility won't work on it as-is.

Edit: *I totally spaced out on the motofail2go exploit.  Disregard.*

will I be able to root/unlock?  matt's utility restores you to 4.1.1, but you need 4.0.4 to root, right?  I know that if you get the 4.1.2 update, you're screwed as far as rooting/unlocking goes.  Does the same go for 4.1.1?

Edit2: Sorry brandon, misread your comment.  Thought you were asking if I was going to unlock once I had fastbooted back to 4.1.1.  Didn't know matt's utility needed you to be unlocked - it's not in the directions anywhere.  

There is now a root method for both 4.1.1 and 4.1.2, the 4.1.1 root is painless.  IF you are not on the 4.1.2 update yet, def. use Matts Utility to get back to stock, it works great. If you have the chance, unlock for sure

• neckchop likes this

#7 brandon71

brandon71

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationKodak, TN

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

I probably will unlock it at that point. Out of curiosity, will it charge in fastboot? It's saying that the battery is low, so matt's utility won't work on it as-is.

Edit: *I totally spaced out on the motofail2go exploit. Disregard.*
will I be able to root/unlock? matt's utility restores you to 4.1.1, but you need 4.0.4 to root, right? I know that if you get the 4.1.2 update, you're screwed as far as rooting/unlocking goes. Does the same go for 4.1.1?

Edit2: Sorry brandon, misread your comment. Thought you were asking if I was going to unlock once I had fastbooted back to 4.1.1. Didn't know matt's utility needed you to be unlocked - it's not in the directions anywhere.

No man you don't gotta be unlocked if you are still on 4.1.1 to use matts utility to fastboot but if your on 4.1.2 you need to be unlocked to fastboot back to 4.1.1 and you can root with matts utility if your on 4.1.1 and you can root with motochopper if your on 4.1.2 you can also unlock on both and sorry for not being more specific lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
  • neckchop and shane1 like this

#8 coleam

coleam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

Cool, thanks.

Looks like I'm stuck waiting for the factory adapter though.  When I first got into fastboot, it said my battery was ok, so I tried matt's utility, but after a few seconds, the battery status switched to low and the utility started throwing out failures left and right.  Fastboot then said I had low battery for a while, but now it's back to ok, so I have no idea what's going on.

I've tried all the charging tricks I can find short of tearing the phone apart, and all it does is load into the safestrap screen, then go black.  I've tried loading into BPTools and powering down completely from APfastboot then plugging it into a wall charger, but the first one never shows me the charging icon when it reboots and the second immediately boots the phone when I plug it back into the wall.  Honestly, it seems to me that safestrap is at least part of the problem here (beyond me getting a little overzealous with my wiping).

#9 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

Well, atleast we know you can still get into fastboot.  Just get a charge on that thing, and you should be G2G.  

#10 coleam

coleam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

Well, atleast we know you can still get into fastboot.  Just get a charge on that thing, and you should be G2G.  

Yep.  Any tips for getting it charged?  I'm just leaving it plugged in for the day to see if that does anything, but from what I've read, that may not actually charge it.

#11 coleam

coleam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

Solved.  Plugging it into the wall charger while on the black screen did charge it, even though there was no indicator that it was charging.  Successfully flashed to 4.1.1 using Matt's utility.

• neckchop, brandon71 and aiur1 like this

#12 aiur1

aiur1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Device(s):Note 3 (SM-N900V)

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

I am kind of having a problem like this. You posted in my thread. While I am waiting to get a flashing adapter, my phone too, is also on the black screen sitting on a wall charger. 

#13 coleam

coleam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Let it sit for a day or so (I plugged mine in this morning and got home about 12 hours later), then try to run the flashboot option on Matt's utility again.  That's all I had to do.

• neckchop, RikRong, shane1 and 1 other like this

#14 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

That's good that it charged.  Maybe you won't have to wait for the adapter.

#15 coleam

coleam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

That's good that it charged.  Maybe you won't have to wait for the adapter.

It's completely recovered: re-flashed to 4.1.1, re-rooted, and unlocked.  Don't need to wait on the adapter at all.  It'll still be nice to have one though, in case of emergency.

• neckchop, RikRong, brandon71 and 1 other like this

#16 Griff

Griff

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr M XT907

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

It's completely recovered: re-flashed to 4.1.1, re-rooted, and unlocked.  Don't need to wait on the adapter at all.  It'll still be nice to have one though, in case of emergency.

^^^Can you do a write up on your procedures to get that to work? What is needed program wise and possible links?

#17 coleam

coleam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

^^^Can you do a write up on your procedures to get that to work? What is needed program wise and possible links?

Are you looking for just how to root and unlock?  Or a writeup on how I fixed my phone?  Because the first one is all over these forums.  There have been a ton of threads on how to root and unlock, and the best tools are linked all over the place.

Edit: just saw your thread.  What I did probably won't help you - you're running 4.1.2, and I was running 4.1.1/custom ROM (not to mention the completely different errors we were getting).  Sounds like you just need to wait on the updated version of Matt's utility.

#18 hellknight4206

hellknight4206

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Current Device(s):xt907

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

I had issues after taking the ota tried reverting back to stock with RSD lite and couldn't. So I downloaded this utility. Reverted back to stock 4.1.2 then booted phone, then used the utility to root, unlock bootloader, flash TWRP, then loaded recovery and made backup. It was simple and easy. Anyone that took the ota, and is having problems this is an easy solution as long as you can get into fastboot.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• RikRong likes this

#19 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

I had issues after taking the ota tried reverting back to stock with RSD lite and couldn't.

When you say back to stock which build. The 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 build? Reason i ask is i think some of this confusion comes in when ppl say " back to stock" well stock what. The originally software the device shipped with, or stock of the most current OTA software. That said its CRITICAL to now what ppl mean by stock as some updates you can not flash backwards from.

FYI if you were on 4.1.2 from the OTA that build you can not downgrade from back to 4.1.1, however RSD Lite should have flashed 4.1.2 just fine with the  full fastboot/XML file for it. 

Edit: I guess I need to clarify. You can ONLY downgrade if your bootlaoder is unlock. if you are still locked then you CAN NOT downgrade from 4.1.2. And that is CRITICAL on whether ppl can downgrade

• neckchop, RikRong and brandon71 like this

#20 brandon71

brandon71

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationKodak, TN

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

When you say back to stock which build. The 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 build? Reason i ask is i think some of this confusion comes in when ppl say " back to stock" well stock what. The originally software the device shipped with, or stock of the most current OTA software. That said its CRITICAL to now what ppl mean by stock as some updates you can not flash backwards from.

FYI if you were on 4.1.2 from the OTA that build you can not downgrade from back to 4.1.1, however RSD Lite should have flashed 4.1.2 just fine with the  full fastboot/XML file for it. 

you can downgrade if your bootloaders unlocked though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users