RAZR HD vs. Galaxy S3

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Over the past few days I have had the chance to use both of these devices and had some issues with both. Ultimately, I have came to the conclusion that I will be sending back the RAZR HD and will be keeping the Galaxy S3.

Galaxy S3

Pros:

Lightweight

Fits good in the hand

Beautiful 4.8" HD display

Removable battery

4.8" screen

LOTS of development

Cons:

Only 1 radio (hard to get 4G, even when 50ft from a tower)

Plastic build

RAZR HD:

Pros:

Nice 4.7" HD display (however I honestly didn't notice a difference between this display and the OG RAZR's.)

Durable build

Cons:

Heavy

Awkward when holding

Display is not a noticeable difference from the OG RAZR

Only 1 radio (hard as well to get strong 4G signal if any 4G at all)

SIM/sdcard slot cover doesn't fit properly

Not as much development

If anyone wants to weigh in on this, please feel free. However, I still stand by my decision to give back the HD and will not be changing my mind.

#2 nin

nin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S3

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

I just got the s3 1 week ago 

and haven't had a razr hd but 

have had the razr maxx

from my weeks experience with the s3 so far i'm enjoying it more than the maxx i had 

running hyperdrive right now 

and i'd agree with the radio i seem to have problems at my place of work 

one end of building i got 4g then go to other end and only got 3g  sometimes lose service completely

but all in all for now ill be sticking with samsung 

Posted Image

#3 trikotret

trikotret

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

I had the s3 for one day and swapped it with my cousin for an HD. I never liked s3 middle home button, reception wasn't as good as my og RAZR and the battery wasn't great. So I exchanged it to HD. Better reception, excellent battery and feels solid. I dropped it a few times and it's still rock solid :)

Edit: just want to say that it's not worth it for me to upgrade from og maxx and sign another 2 year contract to get the HD. I got the s3 as a replacement and swapped phones. Like Hicks said not much of a difference between og and HD phones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  • shane1 likes this

#4 rebretz000

rebretz000

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationJohnstown, PA
  • Current Device(s):Huawei Nexus 6P, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

I have both phones right now.

I'd agree with the pros and cons of the S3 but add battery life to the cons on the S3. Battery life is not that good at all in my opinion.

I'd add battery life to the pros of the HD. I can easily get through a day at work with my HD. Around 2.5 hours screen time with 2.5 hours of music. Either CDs I have on my phone or streaming Pandora. Get home with at least 30%. Always had to charge the GS3. On weekends or days off I can easily go two days without changing my HD.

The cons on the RAZR HD though I'd disagree with most.

Cons:

Heavy - I don't think it's that heavy at all. Built tough

Awkward when holding - Yeah this is true

Display is not a noticeable difference from the OG RAZR - Can't say, no OG RAZR

Only 1 radio (hard as well to get strong 4G signal if any 4G at all) - I get amazing 4G coverage. On average 1-2 bars more than the S3. Never an issue getting 4G

SIM/sdcard slot cover doesn't fit properly - Never noticed this problem

Not as much development - Agree

• zooyork0721 likes this

#5 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

Oh boy, Im not sure where to even go with this. The tables have MOST CERTAINLY TURNED, since the HD's bootloader has been unlocked. Had you asked this ? a month ago, it would have most certainly been a JOKE.

I will use your pros/cons for my opinion as I havent owned an HD, but I most certainly know quite a bit of folks who have ;) (all you guys)

OK So S3 Pros (via you, Gary) and my responses:

Lightweight - Indeed
Fits good in the hand - Yes
Beautiful 4.8" HD display - Yes
Removable battery - Indisputable
4.8" screen - Just the Facts
LOTS of development - True, but only at this juncture and as COMPARED to the HD...Dev has stalled like CRAZY lately. Most Dev is MONTHS old.

Cons:
Only 1 radio (hard to get 4G, even when 50ft from a tower) - I Disagree, any of the previous Radios ("modems") offered are capable of being flashed, and many people have considered several of the older builds to be better and more robust, the beholder is the only judge to this, and their locale has much bearing on the end users experience. Tl;dr: try 'em all, there are MANY past "modems" that can be tested.
Plastic build - To some, this is a benefit. Plastic is less likely to break, crack, shatter or fail as compared to glass, glass and more glass. And metel tends to show more knicks and scratches, their coatings tend to be less forgiving to falls than white, through and through plastic (SOURCING: my own experience of metal rimmed devices vs plastic ones...this is subjective, take it as you will).

Razr HD, A device, I to this day now would love to own, but have not had much day to day experience with, take this as you will (my experience hardly surpasses my times with my fathers device (which really isn't a lot):

Pros: Again, my personal responses...
Nice 4.7" HD display - I have indeed measured these 2 devices screen wise, and while this may kill my credit with our forum, the HD screen is Old School Nintendo NES in comparison (I'm sorry, guys)
Durable build - Again, to the eye of the beholder, My personal opinion is conflicted.

Cons (You know the deal):
Heavy - IMO, it's negligible
Awkward when holding - Still, to me, the thickness, it feels 'awkward', but still, is probably negligible...and if you referring to a non-Maxx....they are very, very close in feel.
Display is not a noticeable difference from the OG RAZR - And TO ME, compared to the S3, there is a WORLD of difference between an S3 and an OG, so if this is your opinion, you can draw you're own conclusions.
Only 1 radio (hard as well to get strong 4G signal if any 4G at all) - To be fair, there is now much to learned pertaining to flashing radios, as older ones may be more benificial to individualr regions.
SIM/sdcard slot cover doesn't fit properly - While it is under the battery cover on the S3, It is in a place on the S3 where wear and tear to a "door" is probably not relevant whereas a "door" will wear out and become weak and sloppy over time on the HD.
Not as much development - I will most definitely not waiver on the HD in this department at THIS time. Should the latest Moto/Google device come out on VZW just as locked the hell down as the most recent memory of Motorola/VZW devices and we not have any platform support inbound. And should the latest Samsung Galaxy S4 come in with a locked bootloader on the VZW network, I see the development of the HD surpassing the development of the S3 in the near future as it is now in it's infancy as compared to the S3 which has been unlocked and rockin' for quite some time. I can not speculate on the S4, or it's open-ness, nor can I speculate on the next flagship Moto device. I would say, at this moment, knowing what we know, this current Razr HD is more apt to be developed on than the S3 (hands down)! [Possiblly more-so than the S4 AND the HD successor!] I wouldn't discredit it on this factor at this very moment, but again, look at the factors against it!

It is ultimately your call though. But sh1s gettin', crazy and unpredictable at this juncture.

Good luck Bud.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#6 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

Don't send the HD back...send it to me haha...j/k

• tucstwo likes this