164 replies to this topic

#21 baguba

baguba

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:22 AM

Got it, took a few tries before it came up but success! THANKS!

• marty45714 likes this

#22 rocketsaucev2

rocketsaucev2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

Just ran this, worked absolutely perfectly the very first time. Great script, many, many thanks!

• marty45714 and dennisjr like this

#23 marty45714

marty45714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Link to new version of file added to original post. I added some lines to the script to stress the importance of pressing one of the three hardware buttons on the phone (Volume up, Volume Down, or Power) once the exploit has been executed. After discussing this with the author of the exploit, this is an important step to obtaining root.

#24 pearldrummer324

pearldrummer324

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

Had some difficulty with the segment of instructions where i was required to press a hardware button and wait for vibrate. My phone rebooted directly before the step. So i tried a couple of times and kept having the same outcome during that step. So finally i let the phone run its course the once it completely rebooted it started to vibrate so then i continued with the directions and the phone the rebooted and i had gained root.  Thank you very much for this great work! Works like a charm!

• Jmath679 and marty45714 like this

#25 marty45714

marty45714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

I've updated the .ova file again. See the original post for the new link and release notes.

#26 MikeSaya

MikeSaya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:51 AM

I can't connect to samba share.  It keeps saying unable to connect, there is a problem with your internet connection.  I am using my home wireless network and connected to the same network on the laptop and phone.  I just can't get any method I use to connect to samba.  I'm losing hope.

#27 marty45714

marty45714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:38 AM

What is the IP address of your phone and your Linux VM? Are they on the same network subnet? Can you ping the computer from the phone? Can you ping the phone from the computer? These are things you need to check in order to verify your Internet connectivity.

I can't connect to samba share.  It keeps saying unable to connect, there is a problem with your internet connection.  I am using my home wireless network and connected to the same network on the laptop and phone.  I just can't get any method I use to connect to samba.  I'm losing hope.

#28 Rapitharian

Rapitharian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:03 AM

Marty,
Could you add a link to virtual box in your OP? It may make it easier for users to find.
-Rap

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#29 raymechanic

raymechanic

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDouglasville,Ga
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Bionic

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

Link to new version of file added to original post. I added some lines to the script to stress the importance of pressing one of the three hardware buttons on the phone (Volume up, Volume Down, or Power) once the exploit has been executed. After discussing this with the author of the exploit, this is an important step to obtaining root.

This may be a silly question but is that press and release or press and hold for second or two?
The reason I ask is nothing seems to happen for me but everything else appears to work. I have su but not root

#30 marty45714

marty45714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

Update: 5/2/2013 - Per user requests, adding link to VirtualBox download site on the original post.

• marty45714 likes this

#31 MikeSaya

MikeSaya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

What is the IP address of your phone and your Linux VM? Are they on the same network subnet? Can you ping the computer from the phone? Can you ping the phone from the computer? These are things you need to check in order to verify your Internet connectivity.

I figured it out.  I tried different settings and the one that worked was having it set to bridged network.  I was using NAT every time, I guess my bad.  Thanks so much, rooted now!!!!!

#32 MikeSaya

MikeSaya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

Update: 5/2/2013 - Per user requests, adding link to VirtualBox download site on the original post.

LOL, anything to make your job harder.  A easy google search would have led them right there.  That's what I did.

• rocketsaucev2 likes this

#33 marty45714

marty45714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

Someone else suggested that pressing the button may be a timing issue. So you may want to actually press it repeatedly while the phone appears to be booting and see if that helps you. I really don't know. If I remember back to when I did it initially, it seemed like I didn't press any buttons and it still rooted the phone.

This may be a silly question but is that press and release or press and hold for second or two?
The reason I ask is nothing seems to happen for me but everything else appears to work. I have su but not root

#34 marty45714

marty45714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

I just joked with someone that I've tweaked this VM so much that the only thing remaining is to drive to people's houses and root their phone for them! :lol: LMAO! Yes, the network has to be set to Bridged. You never should have changed that particular setting in the first place. I'm glad you finally got your phone rooted!

LOL, anything to make your job harder.  A easy google search would have led them right there.  That's what I did.

#35 rocketsaucev2

rocketsaucev2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

For the record, I didn't press any buttons and got rooted perfectly
  • marty45714 likes this

#36 marty45714

marty45714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

You might have been on to something here. The downloads on the latest version have shot up by about 20, since I added the link to VirtualBox.

Marty,
Could you add a link to virtual box in your OP? It may make it easier for users to find.
-Rap

#37 christougher

christougher

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I almost gave up getting root back.  after losing a good 12 hours of my life trying to re-root, fxz several times, reset and wrestle with a livecd boot of Linux that just wouldn't work this method finally worked for me. I had problems getting the virtualbox to capture the phone over USB but found that changing to mass storage and back again while connected to virtualbox finally helped it capture it reliably after wrestling with it for hours (after of course it already connected over wireless).  I actually had to have three "successful" runs with this method before root was restored as I got a couple of "path not found" errors or something like that in the middle of the run.  Third time was the charm.  Thanks again.

• marty45714 likes this

#38 Rapitharian

Rapitharian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

Marty,
Do you need me to mirror any files to make this easier for folks?
-Rap

#39 mjbionic

mjbionic

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

Worked great! Tried the original exploit on the other thread and it would work but this was fast and easy! Thanks!!

#40 marty45714

marty45714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

I'm pretty sure I have this thing as good as it's gonna get, so if you want to mirror the file and give me the links, I'll add them to the OP.

Marty,
Do you need me to mirror any files to make this easier for folks?
-Rap

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users