• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 21chip

21chip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

Using a XT926 HD on 4.1.1 as the stock rom with Locked bootloader. I want to stay on 4.1.1 so i can keep root with out unlocking bootloader. 

When using any 4.1.2 rom in a slot. None of them seem to have a working wifi. If i put a 4.1.1 rom in a slot wifi will work. Some have said it is the Kernel is the cause of this. So not knowing for sure im trying to install  The RageHD 1.1 with the Kernel that is on the first page of the rom. I have the stock Kernel version of 3.0.31-g59a8475

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#1. Is this the right Kernel for the 4.1.2 roms? If not what version should i be on and how do i install it. Or is there some kind or work around to get the simple Regular Wifi to work on the new 4.1.2 roms? Wifi slider is there and moves but it moves back to off on its own. What is the deal with this.

• TALLYWACKER likes this

#2 PILLMUZIK3600

PILLMUZIK3600

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Twitter:PILL_KOZBY_

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

If I don't unlock your boot loader u can't run a ROM with a custom kernel

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

#3 21chip

21chip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

Can you run a 4.1.2 Rom in a slot on a stock 4.1.1 OS and have your Wifi work?

#4 Chahta

Chahta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Twitter:toph4er
  • Current Device(s):Droid X

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

You have a choice: stay locked and suffer the limitations...or unlock and get what you want when you want it.

Also, you can root 4.1.2 without unlocking the bootloader so there is that too...

Don't fear bricking your phone, just always read, read, read, comprehend, read and read some more before doing anything.  Read up on how to fast boot just incase anything does go awry and double check everything you flash is for XT926, check md5's beforehand, etc.  I use an app called "md5 hash" to check my zips and it couldn't be simpler.

If you aren't comfortable with unlocking, phone development probably isn't for you and you should just stay stock and use launcher themes.  Your choice though /twocents

• Memnoch73, JJT211 and shane1 like this

#5 21chip

21chip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

Does anyone have a 4.1.2 rom running on a slot with Wifi working. and on 4.1.1 as the Main OS?

#6 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

You need a 4.1.2 kernel for everything to work.  If you're running a 4.1.2 ROM on slot 1, and a 4.1.1 as the stock OS, you're going to have issues.  Safestrap works with the stock boot.img. You need to update to 4.1.2 on your stock slot, if you want slot 1 to run correctly. 

4.1.2 is rootable:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• dvgb131 likes this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#7 dvgb131

dvgb131

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Twitter:dvgb173
  • LocationAlbany
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

Does anyone have a 4.1.2 rom running on a slot with Wifi working. and on 4.1.1 as the Main OS?

Chip, I'm going to say no.
RikRong pointed you to the 4.1.2 update and root. You can do that without losing your SS stuff. Read the threads about the bootloader exploit. SafeStrap is discussed there.

Doug B.
Doug B.

#8 oneillperson

oneillperson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr HD

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

So, can I use SS to run stock 4.1.2 in the stock slot, and run a rom using a different kernel in another slot?

#9 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

So, can I use SS to run stock 4.1.2 in the stock slot, and run a rom using a different kernel in another slot?

If you use SS, you're going to have issues.  You just need to unlock your bootloader and get it over with.  All of the ROM slots rely on the boot.img in the stock slot.  To understand why it won't work, you need to read about kernels and what they are and what they do.  Some guys over in the M forum flashed some of the 4.1.1 based ROMs after they updated to 4.1.2 and had issues with camera, gallery, and signals.  Once they flashed a new 4.1.1 boot.img, prior to flashing the ROMs, they were good to go.  

To take full advantage, everyone just needs to unlock.  I really think Hash should kill SS for the unlock capable phones.  This will force people to unlock or remain stock.  On just about every other Android device in the universe (except for those few remaining, unlockable Motorolas), you have to unlock to be able to flash.  We just got lucky and had Hash on our side to make SS.   

#10 21chip

21chip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:03 AM

OK, OK I will think about unlocking bootloarder today. I guess i can call and cancle my insurance! Lol.  I just wish we could lock it back up if we wanted to. My job is ruff on phones if i drop it face down into the rocks again, whats $500 bucks?  Matts got us this far right? Im sure someone will find a way to Lock it back up some day if we have to. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Too much has happen in the last two months its hard to keep up. :D  

#11 in99flames

in99flames

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:19 AM

Chip. No need to cancel insurance. In fact don't if you need it based upon your job. If you have the insurance with extended warranty, the warranty part of the equation you'll have problems with.

Insurance covers ANYTHING with a deductible(should be $99). If you destroy the phone due to your work, they will still cover it regardless of the software on the phone. Think of it like your car. Modify the engine and suspension.....void manufacturer warranty on some parts.....but a car accident, the insurance company will still cover you regardless.

Just do not expect any warranty replacements after working on the phone like we have. :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

#12 JJT211

JJT211

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

^^^^

Exactly...you know what else voids your warranty...buying your phone second hand....

As long as you dont hand your phone back to Moto and say "I screwed up my phone by modding it" You should prob be still good to go anyways.

#13 21chip

21chip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Know one said that you can just update to 4.2.1 then root with Utility 1.20 with out unlocking bootloader? Thats all i needed. SS works great. RageHd 1.1 works great too.

#14 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

Know one said that you can just update to 4.2.1 then root with Utility 1.20 with out unlocking bootloader? Thats all i needed. SS works great. RageHd 1.1 works great too.

That's not what you asked.  You asked about changing kernels in a slot, not updating.  You'll still need to run a ROM that is the same base version as the one on your stock slot.  Rage HD is based off of 4.1.2, the same base as your stock slot, so you'll have no issues.  However, now if you try to run a 4.1.1 based ROM, you'll run into issues. 

• dvgb131 likes this

#15 nateohio

nateohio

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

Besides... You already technically voided your warranty by rooting it

And yes you can unroot... But they can also tell that it has been rooted at one time

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD

#16 markymarkmark12345

markymarkmark12345

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationDavenport, IA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD, Droid Razr

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

Before I unlocked my bootloader I updated my stock slot to 4.1.2 and ran fuzion(which is 4.1.1) in the other and had no issues 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users