#1 goldenreaper

goldenreaper

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

So I am having a strange yet serious problem with my Droid Razr Maxx, after it got the official update to JB.

I can no longer connect to any data networks, unless I have my wifi on and am connected to a wifi network.

So when wifi is turned off, there is no data network or indication of any data network. When I turn Wifi on AND connect to

a wifi network the symbol for the data network pops up automatically(even though I'm still using wifi).

I have checked the data on/off button several times as well as the roaming data switch. I've tried switching the mode between GSM/UMTS to Global. I even did a factory restore after I got the JB update, but to no avail.

I bought the phone over an year ago with verizon in the us, then I went to India, had it unlocked and now am using it with Vodafone. I had no issues before when the phone had ics, but it suddenly started after the jb update.

The phone is unrooted. I am willing to go back to ics if that is the only way to fix this, as this is causing me a lot of problems.

Any input/help would be appreciated.

Cheers

#2 joeshell20

joeshell20

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Google+:joeshell20@gmail.com

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:44 AM

If I were you, I would root it and flash a custom ROM. If you still have data issues, you may have something physically wrong with the phone. Going back to ICS is impossible, but you could try to flash back to stock jb using the utility found in this thread

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

)
DROID RAZR Utility XT912 Jellybean -- Windows + Mac + Linux (All In One!). Good luck

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#3 mule0331

mule0331

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

I would NOT root it, just to see if its the problem. Here is what I think happened. Your phone was originally on VZW, and you went to India, thus unlocking your phone and switching carriers. When you loaded the factory JB software, it reset everything to VZW's network. I would take it to your new carrier and have it unlocked again.

#4 goldenreaper

goldenreaper

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:41 AM

If I were you, I would root it and flash a custom ROM. If you still have data issues, you may have something physically wrong with the phone. Going back to ICS is impossible, but you could try to flash back to stock jb using the utility found in this thread

)
DROID RAZR Utility XT912 Jellybean -- Windows + Mac + Linux (All In One!). Good luck

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I was thinking about rooting it too, as I've given up trying most other options.

I would NOT root it, just to see if its the problem. Here is what I think happened. Your phone was originally on VZW, and you went to India, thus unlocking your phone and switching carriers. When you loaded the factory JB software, it reset everything to VZW's network. I would take it to your new carrier and have it unlocked again.

The thing is if it switched back to the vzw stock settings, it shouldn't recognize my sim card at all right?

I am still able to make calls, send texts etc. on vodafone, its just the data networks that I am not able to connect to.

#5 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

AFAIK, since the US VZW version of the XT912 is Global capable now, all you should need to do is swap out the SIM and you should be ok for calls as you have discovered. Also from all of the reading I have done, just in case I need to go abroad, you also need to mess around with the APN for the country/carrier you are connecting to.

This was one of the better links when I was doing my research:

HTH

#6 goldenreaper

goldenreaper

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:24 AM

Thanks for the input guys. It was just me being dumb all along. :unsure:

The JB update removed all my apns and all I had to do was create a new one and configure the settings. The data is working fine now.

Esp thanks to cmh714 for reminding me about the apns.

#7 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

Sweet glad your back and happy to have helped!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Droid, Razr, Maxx, Data, Update, Wifi, ics, connectivity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users