Photo

External Sd And Internal Sd Card ( Difference )

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Turtle

Turtle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationRichmond,IN

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

I found this write up on the difference in external sd (ext sd) an internal sd (int sd) by JungleKing76. I thought he did a real good job of explainning what so many just got me confused ( I thought I knew what they were talking about) because one person would say it one way,then someone else would say it another. I hope that it will help someone else other than me. Thanks JungleKing76 for the write up!

I just wanted to go ahead and add a little write up for anyone else who comes here looking to understand the differences between these two storage locations.

With previous Droids (pretty much everything before the Droid 3 if I am not mistaken) everything was automatically saved to your SD Card. If you did not have a removable sd card in your phone, you had no storage space for things like pictures, music, other files. Now they have reserved a portion of the phone's built in storage for what they call internal storage or "media area". However, you also have an external sd card which is the removable physical sd card. Note: I am referring to Mototorola phones when I mention pre-droid 3 and post. I am not familiar with storage practices of other manufacturers.

How do you navigate to each and tell the difference? That depends of what files service you are using. Here is the breakdown:

Stock file manager that is already on the phone:
1. Open your app drawer and click on the file manager app (it may be called "my files" or "file manager" etc.)
2. The stock file manager actually lays it out straight forward. You either see "internal storage", or "sd card"
3. You can move files from one to the other by simply long pressing on it and selecting either move or copy and then going to where you want to place it and select paste from the menu.

Market file manager like astro:
If you downlaod a file manager from the market like astro, es explorer, etc. you will notice that they typically do not indidcate "internal" or "external" instead you will most likely see "sd card" and "sd card-ext". The "ext" is short for external and this is the actual removable sd card. The folder labeled as just sd card is actually the internal built in storage area of the phone.

Windows file explorer.
If you plug your phone into your cpu using usb and you select USB mass storage on your device so it knows you want to share your storage with you PC, you will likely get two windows (if yu have auto play enabled) that pop up with the standard question of "what would you like to do". Once again, these two storage places are labeled differently. Each of these two storages will be given a drive letter and a name. One will likely be called MOT, this is the internal phone storage. The other should actually say "removable storage" and is the actual removable sd card on your phone. If for some reason they do not display "names" and only show you drive letters on your pc, you can go ahead and open both on your computer to take a look inside. Your phone's internal storage will have a file (near the top usually) labeled ".cache" and your external sd card typically will not have that file.

Hope this helps.

Original source:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#2 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for posting this. When I first got the RAZR I was confused as hell trying to figure out what memory space was what and where things were saved by default. I know it now but this will help other tremendously.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#3 trikotret

trikotret

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

Anyway of making the external SD card default for downloads?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users