[Tweaks] Init.d Tweaks W/instructions (20 Apr 12)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

READ THIS ENTIRE OP BEFORE POSTING ANY QUESTIONS AND BEFORE IMPLEMENTING ANY OF THESE TWEAKS

**DISCLAIMER**
Neither myself, nor droidrzr.com are responsible for melting or exploding phones. You know you are taking a risk when modifying any aspect of your phone, beyond the factory settings.

That being said, I've implemented these tweaks myself on my CDMA VERIZON MOTOROLA DROID RAZR, and have had NO adverse effects. Enjoy!

Hey guys, just wanted to share some Init.d tweaks with everyone that are supposed to help with device speed and battery life, as well as some internet speed tweaks.

**NOTE**
These will work with the ICS leak. However, you have to be running DroidTh3ory's script that he put out for the ICS leak because it enables full Init.d support.

To implement these tweaks, just scroll down to the bottom of your build.prop file located in /system and start typing. Copy and paste can work too as long as everything matches up.

**NOTE**
Some of these lines may already be in your build.prop file and you may just need to edit them. Look for the line BEFORE you edit it. Also, keep in mind that some of these tweaks may or may not give you any difference whatsoever, they're just being posted for you to try. I am not promising better battery life or a better signal or faster internet speeds. I am simply posting what the tweak SHOULD do.

How do I do this?
Well for starters there are 4 requirements for implementing these tweaks:

1. You need to be on the ICS leak.
2. You need to have FULL root.
3. You need to be running DroidTh3ory's CMPLX script. (Enables full Init.d support)
4. You need to have a root file explorer. (I used Root Explorer for mine)

Implementing the tweaks to your build.prop:
Ok let's get started. Open your file explorer (Root Explorer preferred) and navigate to the /system folder on the root of your device.

If using Root Explorer, you will see a little box that looks like the one in the pic (attached below ---pic won't upload for some reason).

Press the button to ensure that the text to the left of it says "Mounted as r/w"

Now locate the build.prop file and press and hold on the file and another menu will pop up.

You may or may not have to scroll but you need to select "Open In Text Editor."

Once the build.prop is open, follow the rest of the instructions to add the tweaks. After you're done, simply back out of Root Explorer. It will ask if you want to save changes, just select "Yes" and Root Explorer will exit.

Reboot

**NOTE**
Upon exiting Root Explorer and saving your changes, it will automatically rename your OLD build.prop file to "build.prop.bak." If for some reason, you experience any wacky behavior with your device after doing these tweaks, simply use Root Explorer to delete your CURRENT build.prop file then go to your OLD file and delete the .bak so that it is renamed "build.prop" this will reset your build.prop to how it was before any changes were made. Reboot after changes and you'll be good to go.

Let's start with some basics:

Lock Home Launcher In Memory:
ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1

Raise the display quality of jpeg images:
ro.media.enc.jpeg.quality=100

Maybe save some battery life:
ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=0
pm.sleep_mode=1
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=180
echo "500" > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_expire_centisecs
echo "1000" > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs

Net Speed Tweaks:
echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps;
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_tw_reuse;
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_sack;
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_tw_recycle;
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling;
echo "5" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_probes;
echo "30" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_intvl;
echo "30" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout
echo "404480" > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max;
echo "404480" > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max;
echo "256960" > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default;
echo "256960" > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_default;
echo "4096,16384,404480" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_wmem;
echo "4096,87380,404480" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_rmem;

3G Speed Tweaks:
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=10
ro.ril.enable.a53=1
ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
ro.ril.htcmaskw1.bitmask=4294967295
ro.ril.htcmaskw1=14449
ro.ril.hsupa.category=5

Disable Bootanimation (faster bootup time):
debug.sf.nobootanimation=1

Edited by spc_hicks09, 20 April 2012 - 10:17 AM.

• cynnar, bpm1055 and TravaG97 like this

#2 geka

geka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Google+:gene.volchenko

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

I was trying to implement those commands, but system, is not allwed me to save the file. Is there a trick?
Thanks

#3 bpm1055

bpm1055

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

Any suggestions on and editor to do this in?

@geka: you probably need to change your settings to allow system writing on your device through your editor or file explorer.

#4 geka

geka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Google+:gene.volchenko

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

Any suggestions on and editor to do this in?

@geka: you probably need to change your settings to allow system writing on your device through your editor or file explorer.

Which editor would be better? I used Quickoffice and ES note editor in both cannot save file.
Thanks

#5 bpm1055

bpm1055

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

not sure currently I am at work and I reflashed to stock last night. so I am currently unrooted. I will let you know later on today.

#6 PillClinton

PillClinton

#FireGaryBettman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter:530SharksFan
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Just applied all these tweaks to build.prop, I'll report back with any errors/feedback I have. My initial thought: disabling the boot animation didn't really seem like it gave me a faster start up time, so I will probably remove that. Here is the installation method that worked for me:
  • Using ES File Explorer (with root browsing & /system mounted as writable), copied my original build.prop to my internal storage, then uploaded to Dropbox.
  • If you don't already have it, download

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• From My computer, I copied the tweaks specified that were not already present to the bottom of my build.prop
  • Reuploaded the file to Dropbox, then downloaded back onto my phone's internal storage
  • Navigated to /system, renamed original build.prop to build.prop.bak
  • Copied modified build.prop to /system
  • Set permissions to RW-R--R--
  • Reboot and Enjoy!
Edit: Thanks for all this info

!
  • bpm1055 likes this

#7 ssmaynv

ssmaynv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Put yourself in for an ARCOM!

#8 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

I was trying to implement those commands, but system, is not allwed me to save the file. Is there a trick?
Thanks

You have to be on the ICS leak and using DroidTh3ory's Script, which also means you have to be rooted. I'm getting ready to update the OP with better instructions.

Edit: Thanks for all this info

!

Not a problem! I haven't noticed any changes for the bad as of yet. Not trying to blow smoke up anyone's butt, but, I am getting better reception at home, phone seems quite a bit snappier as well. Haven't had them on here long enough to comment on the battery life but will report on that as well.

Put yourself in for an ARCOM!

Lol thanks!

#9 PillClinton

PillClinton

#FireGaryBettman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

For the record, I used these tweaks on Eclipse 1.3, not the ICS leak.

#10 chiahead52

chiahead52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

I think u can use these in the build.prop just fine on any setup. If you plan to use them as init.d then your system needs to be able to run it properly.

#11 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

Yes they can be used on any system that supports Init.d

Instructions and requirements are specifically for the ICS leak because it doesn't support Init.d unless you use DroidTh3orys script along with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#12 Jdotcarter

Jdotcarter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

Doesnt the COMPLX conversion already put all this into the build.prop?

#13 garywojdan81

garywojdan81

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Twitter:gwojdan_81

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

If we are adding these directly to the build.prop, why is init.d needed? I thought that whatever was in there at boot got run irrespective of any other script anywhere else. Or are these to further complement the COMPLEX scripts?

#14 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

These specific tweaks are not already included. They are add-ons. No build.prop tweak will work without Init.d being enabled first which is what DTs script does.

Doesnt the COMPLX conversion already put all this into the build.prop?

If we are adding these directly to the build.prop, why is init.d needed? I thought that whatever was in there at boot got run irrespective of any other script anywhere else. Or are these to further complement the COMPLEX scripts?

#15 PillClinton

PillClinton

#FireGaryBettman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

My 3G seemed really slow so I got rid of those lines. Speed test confirmed my suspicions. Also got rid of the disabled boot animation line & now all is well!

#16 redls1

redls1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

For whatever reason if feels snappier. What about changing lcd density? Also root explorer stopped working for me. It freezes.

#17 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

What about some other things if you want to edit the build.prop in general? Things such as wifi scan,vm heap, max events.

I don't understand what your question is. If you want to just edit the build.prop then you can. Just make you're prepared in case you softbrick.

#18 redls1

redls1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

I don't understand what your question is. If you want to just edit the build.prop then you can. Just make you're prepared in case you softbrick.

Sorry thought I edited that post. Figured it out.

#19 MartyChubbs

MartyChubbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationThe Ghetto, Minnesota

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

I edited my build.prop, here ya go

I (aka Mr. Chubbs aka Marty "The Wad" Chubbs aka Knot Mehreelname ) accept no liability for the content of this post. I basically made it all up as I was typing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users