Photo

Ics Launcher... Your Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Launcher for ICS (40 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your favorite ICS Launcher

1. Stock ICS (5 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Nova Launcher (7 votes [17.50%])

Percentage of vote: 17.50%

3. Voted Apex Launcher (23 votes [57.50%])

Percentage of vote: 57.50%

4. Other (5 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

I am curious to see everyone's thoughts on which launcher they prefer on ICS and for what reasons...

So far I have only used the stock ICS launcher.

What's your choice??

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#2 kl0wn

kl0wn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Voted. Apex is my voice on the Razr and GNex. Have been using it ever since I first tried AXI0M on my Razr, never really felt the need to try another ICS launcher.

#3 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

I have tried both apex and nova but personally I prefer stock. It works perfectly and no reason to use a third party launcher for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

#4 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

I'm interested in trying the MIUI launcher, but I decided I wanted to hang out on .181 for a bit so currently not using any of the above :P

#5 jamRwoo

jamRwoo

Iconoclast

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Twitter:jamRwoo

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

I've been using Apex, but prior to installing ICS I used solely ADW EX. May go back to it if it plays nicely with ICS.

IMHO, Apex is basically a "ripoff" off ADW EX that is slightly more tailored to ICS. The changelog and upcoming features" are literally the same as ADW EX a few months ago. Hell, half the menu items are in the exact same order.

That being said, Pro version of Apex has custom app drawer tabs...that alone may sway me haha.
I like big hairy Vantenhickserkeists in diapers.

#6 Oso

Oso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Twitter:@pprice88
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

I have tried both apex and nova but personally I prefer stock. It works perfectly and no reason to use a third party launcher for me.

Three reasons for Apex/Nova over stock.
1) Hidden Apps. I have yet to find a .75 debloated ROM, and the excessive amount of useless VZW crap is annoying in my app drawer. Once the official build is released and custom ROMs become available, this will be of less use to me.
2) Hidden Icon Text. I know what the icons on my home screens are. The whole reason they are on my home screen is because I use them often. To me, the text under the icons takes away from the overall look of my home screen. I didn't notice how much I liked this until I started using launchers on my Droid Charge. The sole reason I used Zeam over Nemus was because of this feature.
3) No App Drawer Icon or Notification Bar. I can get rid of my app drawer icon, allowing me to have a non-scroll 5-icon dock with Camera, Phone, Gmail, SMS, and Gtalk. I changed my double tap feature to launch the app drawer. Also, I can make the notifications bar go away. I set my home key to first take me to the default screen, then when pressed on the default screen, it brings down my notifications and displays the bar. This allows for quick access to the info I need on the notification bar or any of my notifications without the bar detracting from the look of my home screen.

EDIT: Looks like you can't hide apps in the app drawer on the free version of Nova. Until a debloated version of ICS is released (either for the leak now or for the official soon), I'm definitely sticking to Apex. I can't take all the VZW clutter.

I'm interested in trying the MIUI launcher, but I decided I wanted to hang out on .181 for a bit so currently not using any of the above :P

I tried MIUI out yesterday. It looks great and runs fine. My major problem is that there is no app drawer. To prevent the insane amount of clutter on the home screens, I have to create a bunch of folders and dedicate one home screen to housing nothing but folders for useless apps. Then I can't always find what I'm looking for when I need to. Taking away the app drawer and displaying everything on the home screens is the main reason I stay away from MIUI and why I dislike iPhones. The Android idea of having home screens and a separate app drawer is a much better setup to me.

#7 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Well here's where I'm at today. As I figured I would I tired of the stock launcher rather quickly so I gave Apex a try. While I liked it, it really wasn't too much more than the stock launcher. A few added features but nothing as far as themes... While I was looking around for some new icons I came across a cool set for ADW. I had purchased ADW years ago on my OG Droid. So I installed it again, liked all the new changes and updates they have had, added the new icons and so far have been quite happy with it..

I'm sure my boredom will resurface and I'll jump again but hey that's why we love Android right? Choice?

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#8 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Twitter:@DarkOverDroid
  • Google+:DarkOverDroid@gmail.com
  • LocationMobile, Al
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID RAZR MAXX, iPhone 4, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi) 7" Acer Iconia Tab A-100 (Wifi)

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Well here's where I'm at today. As I figured I would I tired of the stock launcher rather quickly so I gave Apex a try. While I liked it, it really wasn't too much more than the stock launcher. A few added features but nothing as far as themes... While I was looking around for some new icons I came across a cool set for ADW. I had purchased ADW years ago on my OG Droid. So I installed it again, liked all the new changes and updates they have had, added the new icons and so far have been quite happy with it..

I'm sure my boredom will resurface and I'll jump again but hey that's why we love Android right? Choice?

I think the stock launcher on .84 is horrible. I'm running Apex at the moment, and it seems to be quite nice. Been using it for about a week with no problems.
Posted Image

#9 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Twitter:@DarkOverDroid
  • Google+:DarkOverDroid@gmail.com
  • LocationMobile, Al
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID RAZR MAXX, iPhone 4, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi) 7" Acer Iconia Tab A-100 (Wifi)

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

Taking away the app drawer and displaying everything on the home screens is the main reason I stay away from MIUI and why I dislike iPhones. The Android idea of having home screens and a separate app drawer is a much better setup to me.

<This! ++10,000
Posted Image

#10 trikotret

trikotret

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

is there a way to back up android home desktop on the ICS stock. Thats the only thing stopping me from using it. I use APEX since I can backup desktop

#11 Oso

Oso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Twitter:@pprice88
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

I was underwhelmed by Apex and Nova, but I think it's because the stock ICS launcher offers a lot of customization previous versions did not. But I still use the launcher for the three reasons I mentioned above, which are three (or four) features the stock launcher lacks.

You can use ADW themes on Apex and Nova. The problem is you have to theme each icon individually, while ADW allows you to theme everything at once. It's rather easy to, just time consuming since everything must be done individually. It's the same method as replacing single icons in ADW (from what I remember). Long press the icon, go to edit, and press the picture of the icon. It will then allow you to access ADW themes to replace it.

#12 nailbomb3

nailbomb3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

Apex.

Try to get an update for adw ex out of anderwebs. Lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#13 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

Was satisfied with stock but decided to download apex and nova to see which one I liked and use the extra screens

I have found that they are basically the same but nova allows you to create folders in the app drawer and apex does not. Of course you have to have the paid version for this. But art least it is an option .

This already gave nova the edge for me but what put nova over the top was the way it works with the lapdock for my razr. Apex just does not work. It does not differentiate between the lapdock and the phone. When I was connected to the lapdock, I tried to set my screens up on apex to maximize the ics tablet-like layout but then when I take the phone off, the screens are a mess because apex doesn't support the lapdock properly.

Nova works wonderfully with the lapdock. I set my screens up the way I want them on the lapdock and when I unplug my phone, it goes back to the way I have it for normal phone use Perfect integration.

#14 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

Apex pro all the way. Smooth, customizable, stable. What more is there to want? Works best as a system app but just added root option for handling widgets while installed as a data app.

The widget picker has white on white text but I use the drawer for Widgets anyway so doesn't affect me whatsoever.

Also you can set gesture actions. Haven't fooled with it at all but a cool feature to have nonetheless.

[ Courtesy of Hotel California ]

[ sent from _base2 ]

#15 robthefive0

robthefive0

Sarge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationN.J.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

Been using Go Launcher Pro for awhile now, love it. Just tried Apex and I am sticking with Go Launcher. Familiarity and it is so customizable.
Posted Image

#16 CaptainKn0tz

CaptainKn0tz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

Been using Go Launcher Pro for awhile now, love it. Just tried Apex and I am sticking with Go Launcher. Familiarity and it is so customizable.

Apex pro just added a huge customization update. Support for all popular launcher themes including ADW, LP, and GO. Bad rear end. Apex as system app FTW

~Sent from my Droid [R]

#17 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

The widget picker has white on white text but I use the drawer for Widgets anyway so doesn't affect me whatsoever.

[ Courtesy of Hotel California ]

Download Boombuler's appwidgetpicker.apk from XDA, move it to system, set permissions, & reboot (do not install apk). This will fix the white on white & give you the widget picker you are accustomed to with most custom roms.

{We don't need no stinkin path, we have Batman}

#18 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

Download Boombuler's appwidgetpicker.apk from XDA, move it to system, set permissions, & reboot (do not install apk). This will fix the white on white & give you the widget picker you are accustomed to with most custom roms.

{We don't need no stinkin path, we have Batman}

lol totally can't believe I never thought that the widgetpicker apk would be missing... wow I'm really smart lol thx phatdaddyz :)

[ ...paths? ... where we're going we don't need... paths. ]
[ sent from _base2 ]

#19 Giblet535

Giblet535

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

I have three launchers configured, and occasional switch when I get bored with look/feel.

Go Launcher EX
Launcher Pro (tiny and fast)
SPB Shell 3D

All launchers have their own unique selling points, but the ones listed above - taken together - seem to provide a great balance of performance, features, ease-of-use, and extravagant effects. If I had to pick a favorite, it would have to be Go Launcher, since that's where my phone usually goes when I click the Home button, so it must be that I like that one best.
If I lived . I'd be ~ by now.

#20 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

Download Boombuler's appwidgetpicker.apk from XDA, move it to system, set permissions, & reboot (do not install apk). This will fix the white on white & give you the widget picker you are accustomed to with most custom roms. {We don't need no stinkin path, we have Batman}

Just wanted to say thanks for this info. Currently using ADW so this helpful for grabbing widgets.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users