26 replies to this topic

#1 prstorero

prstorero

SuperThemerDevGuy

• Developer
  • 838 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

1. Increase the home screen launching speed
  • This is a very simple thing i saw on Youtube and i wanted to share it here since most people probably won't look for that video The problem is S voice tries to figure out if it needs to launch when you press your home key (this gives a slight delay of about 1 second to get to the home screen). You can disable this by opening S voice, hit the menu key, settings, disable "open via home key". Of course this disables the function, but if you use a different assistant, such as Google Now, then this is something that can easily be done This is the only tip for now. I may add things on to this as i see fit or if people ask. I'm also brand new to Samsung to keep that in mind

2. Increase battery life (and maybe performance) (requires root) 

• For this you need an app called "Greenify" from the play store (green leaf icon). The app is free and what it does is it puts what ever apps you choose into a state of hibernation when they are not open. This can be useful for apps that love to keep themselves running (such as Facebook and Google Maps). This can also help reduce some data usage.

3. Increase battery life #2 (possibly a lot)

• Install as many blacked out apps as you can, such as: Talk (hangouts), play store, gmail, etc. Because these phones use a super amoled display, it takes a big chunk of battery to display white pixels while black ones take 0 battery. Do this if you use these apps a lot, and you can definitely see an increase in your battery life

4. Increase battery life #3

• Turn off things when you don't need them, like gps, bluetooth, data (when connected to wifi). Turning these off when not needed will definitely boost the battery life of your device. Things like this may seem like old news to some, but there are plenty of people who are new to the android world that may not know this :)

5. Increase battery life #4

• If you use a lot of accounts like email, twitter, fb, etc, decrease the rate at which they sync. Having multiple accounts sync every hour can really drain your battery. If you have lots of accounts but don't really need to be constantly updated, then you can use this tip :)

• rickw, usmcamgrimm, T3T3droid and 1 other like this

#2 prstorero

prstorero

SuperThemerDevGuy

• Developer
  • 838 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

I have a couple of cases and a wireless charging kit coming (the cases should be here by mid this week) while the wireless charging kit will be 1-3 weeks depending on how shipping goes. I will review these and post my thoughts with a new thread for anyone wanting the items or are curious

#3 jayrod

jayrod

Bacon, Cheese & Mod Connoisseur

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC
  • Current Device(s):Taimen

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

I'm very interested in seeing how the wireless charger does!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
  • usmcamgrimm likes this

#4 prstorero

prstorero

SuperThemerDevGuy

• Developer
  • 838 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

I'm very interested in seeing how the wireless charger does!

I've read a lot of good things about it so I'm giving it a shot. I saw someone got it 2 weeks ahead of the scheduled delivery date, so we shall see if i get the same luck :p 

#5 Rinkle McBally

Rinkle McBally

Perv McGert

• Developer
  • 860 posts
  • Twitter:Rinkle_McBally
  • Google+:RinkleMcBally22@gmail.com
  • LocationForest Lake MN
  • Current Device(s):S3 D2vzw, Galaxy Tab 2

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

Would greenify interfere with kernel ? also you should link battery guru in here

rink2_zps72b73afa.png

**** If you want a signature, wallpaper or avatar done feel free to hit me up send me a pm ****

#6 prstorero

prstorero

SuperThemerDevGuy

• Developer
  • 838 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

Would greenify interfere with kernel ? also you should link battery guru in here

I've been using it and haven't seen any adverse effects. I'll see how guru works out before i post it :)

#7 monkteo

monkteo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:17 AM

Google Maps it's the only app that greenify don't close it .

#8 prstorero

prstorero

SuperThemerDevGuy

• Developer
  • 838 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

Google Maps it's the only app that greenify don't close it .

I just tested it, and it does hibernate. It won't do it immediately after exiting or turning off the screen. It has to finish things before it takes effect.

#9 prstorero

prstorero

SuperThemerDevGuy

• Developer
  • 838 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

More battery saving information has been added :)

#10 robthefive0

robthefive0

Sarge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationN.J.

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

I've been using Greenify on mine since I got it. Works awesome in conjunction with 2x Battery saver. I'm getting killer insane battery life.

Posted Image

#11 bobguyman

bobguyman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

Crazy battery life here with the help of Greenify and keeping the stuff I don't use off. Last weekend I had 4 hours screen time + 5 hours pandora on wifi and battery finally killed over at about 36 hours. 

Question about the Wireless Charging: Does it need a special case or cover?

#12 prstorero

prstorero

SuperThemerDevGuy

• Developer
  • 838 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Crazy battery life here with the help of Greenify and keeping the stuff I don't use off. Last weekend I had 4 hours screen time + 5 hours pandora on wifi and battery finally killed over at about 36 hours. 

Yes it does. The kit i ordered actually has a separate piece of hardware that you put on top of the battery that enables the inductive charging. Because of the way it was designed, the thickest part actually uses the gap by the sd card, it shouldn't have any bulge with the original back cover. 

#13 BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Chatroom Tech Support

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Google+:mikebuck69@gmail.com
  • LocationMaine
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6, HTC One M8, Nexus 10

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

If you get the actual Samsung wireless charging kit it has a new back cover with it and the thickness of the phone is increased enough that standard cases will not fit.

#14 prstorero

prstorero

SuperThemerDevGuy

• Developer
  • 838 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

If you get the actual Samsung wireless charging kit it has a new back cover with it and the thickness of the phone is increased enough that standard cases will not fit.

I'm not getting the one made by Samsung :p

#15 bobguyman

bobguyman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

Well I picked up a dock for work and home so wireless charging really isn't as appealing now. :)

#16 Sinju33

Sinju33

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationGeorgia (US)
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

For battery saving you may want to check out the BlueEFFICIENCY app. It works and has a few things I haven't seen in any other battery app.

#17 prstorero

prstorero

SuperThemerDevGuy

• Developer
  • 838 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

For battery saving you may want to check out the BlueEFFICIENCY app. It works and has a few things I haven't seen in any other battery app.

Downloading now :)

#18 jayrod

jayrod

Bacon, Cheese & Mod Connoisseur

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC
  • Current Device(s):Taimen

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

I just use tasker ..but you already know that I do things the hard way:D

• bobguyman, prstorero and Sinju33 like this

#19 bobguyman

bobguyman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

I just use tasker ..but you already know that I do things the hard way:D

That's what she said?
  • Sinju33 likes this

#20 yungzoe0624

yungzoe0624

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

so I am curious as to what wireless charging kit you bought because I don't want to buy the Samsung one if it makes the back of the phone too big and I am no longer able to use regular cases as stated above. A link would be very appreciated, Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users